2021 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 267 times)

delicate flower

Well at least you got one—better than being the 1990s Buffalo Bills!

It's a damn shame Jim Kelly never got one.

<3

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

They tried that back in the '70s and '80s.  The result was even more qualifiers each year even when it took 2:50 to BQ.

Impressive, especially as there were no Vaporfly shoes back then. 

Harder BQ times and guaranteed entry for the folk that actually qualify....any places left over could go to the fastest losers or charity runners.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

So you have the qualifying times on the website....then you run a BQ time...but, for some folk it isn’t actually good enough to be allowed to run the race?  A totally bizarre set up.    Make it harder to BQ and guaranteed entry.

It has been this way for years. Around 2018 they said you had to be about 4 minutes and 53 seconds FASTER than your qualifying time to get in the race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Julia1971

Bumping.

How are y'all doing?

I'm still training for London and Boston but will likely make a decision by the end of the week on whether I will just do Boston.  The Delta variant, logistics, and increased travel expenses for London are making me anxious, so I may give up my entry.  (I can't defer.)

I'm surprised that we haven't heard a peep from them as far as any changes to how things have been done in the past.  Maybe next week...  In other news, Maurten is the official gel sponsor now so switch to that on your long runs if you're not using it already.  Wink

A couple people from my running group are signed up for both Berlin and Boston. Last time I talked to them they didn’t know WTF they were going to do; the plan was changing by the day. I’m guessing that’s the mode you’ve been in.

In other news, Maurten is the official gel sponsor now so switch to that on your long runs if you're not using it already.  Wink

I saw that, and I’m guessing most of us don’t rely on what the race offers for our fueling strategy, but it still seemed strange that the first one is not till mile 11.6.

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

has anyone heard or seen that Boston was admitting additional runners, who didn't meet the new standard, to fill open spots (international and charity spots that weren't filled)? Story I saw/heard was that they only selected runners who signed up for the virtual. I was reasonably close to the new standard, but probably not close enough, and didn't sign up for the virtual so I'm probably SOL. But, clinging to any shred of hope...

Julia1971

A couple people from my running group are signed up for both Berlin and Boston. Last time I talked to them they didn’t know WTF they were going to do; the plan was changing by the day. I’m guessing that’s the mode you’ve been in.

Someone in the Age Group World Championship Facebook group posted her COVID-testing regime and I was like, "I'm out."  Realistically, it wasn't that complex but just seeing it made me question whether I want to plan out when I'm taking three tests to run a race.  (I took my first COVID test today and realize it only takes a few minutes but still.)  From reading social media today, it looks like they also announced no race day bag drop, which is fine except it's beginning to feel more like a run through London instead of a "race".  (Many international travelers can't come to the UK, so there's also a debate on the FB page about whether this is actually a championship anyway.)  But, London is so hard to get into that I'm trying to rationalize going in my head.

Julia1971

has anyone heard or seen that Boston was admitting additional runners, who didn't meet the new standard, to fill open spots (international and charity spots that weren't filled)? Story I saw/heard was that they only selected runners who signed up for the virtual. I was reasonably close to the new standard, but probably not close enough, and didn't sign up for the virtual so I'm probably SOL. But, clinging to any shred of hope...

I had not heard that!  As I just posted, I know for London lots of people can't travel to the UK so no one will race under those bibs.  Maybe the same dynamic is happening for Boston.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm just waiting for the BAA to announce the qualifying window so I know when we can apply for 2022 and when the race might actually be. April 2022? October 2022? Virtual again?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

delicate flower

I am not sure if the virtual registration came into play at all.  I know two guys who got in via this late wave of registrations, and one was signed up for the virtual and the other was not.  Both qualified with about the same cushion.  The guy who was virtual said the waiver stated there would be no deferral or refund in the event of a cancellation.  I am sure I'd take that $250 gamble if the opportunity presented itself.

<3

Anonymous Guest

Supposedly, if your qualifying time was between -7:27 and -7:46, you got a late invite. Speculation is these are sponsor bibs. Then some people that signed up for the virtual (and qualified) were also offered bibs. Speculation is these are leftover or returned charity bibs. How much you beat your BQ time didn't matter (someone with a -7:22 did not get an invite, someone minus a minute did get an invite).

This all happened middle of last week. Who knows, if international runners can't make it (which is likely), maybe they'll do it again.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Supposedly, if your qualifying time was between -7:27 and -7:46, you got a late invite. Speculation is these are sponsor bibs. Then some people that signed up for the virtual (and qualified) were also offered bibs. Speculation is these are leftover or returned charity bibs. How much you beat your BQ time didn't matter (someone with a -7:22 did not get an invite, someone minus a minute did get an invite).

This all happened middle of last week. Who knows, if international runners can't make it (which is likely), maybe they'll do it again.

wish there was a way to let them know I'd take a spot in a heartbeat if offered!

CalBears

I'm just waiting for the BAA to announce the qualifying window so I know when we can apply for 2022 and when the race might actually be. April 2022? October 2022? Virtual again?

This is from BAA's email sent in June 2021:

2022 & 2023 Boston Marathons

In 2022, the Boston Marathon will return to Patriots’ Day for the first time since 2019! Registration for the 126th Boston Marathon will be held November 8–12, 2021. Similar to the 2021 registration process, qualified athletes may submit an application at any point prior to the 5PM ET deadline on Friday, November 12.

The B.A.A. has also announced that the qualifying window for the 2023 Boston Marathon will begin on September 1, 2021.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Julia1971

Wow, this is really surprising to me but I'm happy for the people who got bibs.

I took a look at the list of countries that we're limiting entry for and was guessing a lot of people won't be making the trip. But then, I wondered if Boston draws as large of an international crowd as the other majors.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is from BAA's email sent in June 2021:

2022 & 2023 Boston Marathons

In 2022, the Boston Marathon will return to Patriots’ Day for the first time since 2019! Registration for the 126th Boston Marathon will be held November 8–12, 2021. Similar to the 2021 registration process, qualified athletes may submit an application at any point prior to the 5PM ET deadline on Friday, November 12.

The B.A.A. has also announced that the qualifying window for the 2023 Boston Marathon will begin on September 1, 2021.

No mention of when it ends so it could be all of 2021 or it could be decided to end August 31.

VDOT 53.37