So with my first race under my belt..Continue on my base or? (Read 975 times)

Double IPA Please!

I would like to build my base up to around 40 or so for awhile, but once I hit there, can I start working on speed? I am thinking that if I take April (the rest of) and continue to work on my base and maybe even into May would I be okay to start working on my speed/pace? I don't have any other races (as of current) until September (thinking of doing the Philly Distance Half) and then again in November. So I have the majority of the summer- if I get picked from the lottery in the NY ING (which I just don't think I will) that is a whole and that will be where my focus will become this summer, other than that I just want to work on my speed and more of my base. Does this seem to be a good plan? It seems reasonable since my mileage has progressed steadily thus far. Once I start working on speed more seriously (I have in the past like once a week or so) would I still just continue to do one speed session a week? Yeah, yeah, this is where JK comes in and tells me how handy the search button is Tongue Also- do I just jump right back into my mileage again after my race yesterday or do an easy low mileage week this upcoming? I realize 10 is not a huge race and all, but I want to be smart about it considering it was my first. Am I asking too many questions? Clowning around

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

SMART Approach

Denise, The attached article by Tinman is a good one. In base training you can mix in some faster running i.e. fast tempo miles, slower tempo miles, critical velocity intervals and quick striders. Your volume of these is lower while base training but doing this kind of work is great year round and makes adaptation to higher volume faster stuff so much easier. I think for you, one day do 3-5 miles at slow tempo or around 50-60 sec. slower than 5K race pace within a midweek longer run and another day mix in some CV reps or tempo miles or some quicker Fartleks just keep volume a bit lower. You can do the above while staying aerobic almost all of the time. http://www.therunzone.com/Base.html

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hawt and sexy

I would stick with easy stuff until about 8 weeks out from a goal race. Tinman does not know much about periodization. He wants a person to do the same workouts pretty much year round. Studies done since the beginning of the last century tell us that that type of training leads to staleness and sometimes even injury. But the dude has a bizarrely huge following for being a radiology tech, so have at it if you want. I would send you to some place like the Lydaird Foundation or maybe McMillian running for info on base training. Although McMillian might be much to aggressive for a beginner. You should also keep in mind what kind of things your body needs. I peak after 8 weeks of interval training. After that running all the intervals in the world will do nothing but wear me down aerobically. Just try to steer away from Tinman. I have seen him accuse Daniels and McMillian of stealing his ideas on both letsrun.com and the now defunct coolrunning.com. I also seem to remember a third accusation at letsrun.com but I don't remember who he thought stole his ideas in that one. In all cases, it was shown he was very wrong on all of his accusations. Hell, in the one at CR I remember Nobby talking about bringing in a lawyer. I wish that thread had made it through the transition, it was a hilarious read. Just do some research here. I would tend to follow someone who actually has an excersize lab as opposed to someone who's lab is the local x-ray room. Not a lot of VO2Max testing is done on an x-ray machine. But he does or has coached in the past. Tinman said he was going to stop coaching at the first of the year. i never checked if this was true.

I'm touching your pants.

SMART Approach

Tinman continues to coach (and successfully). I am a coach and he has coached me. I am now a big believer in his techniques many of which I freely give on this site. His advice is flat out, common sense as is mine I believe. I think many on this site would agree with most of my advice. Nothing fancy, just smart, common sense training. He also absolutely believes in periodization as do I with ideally 2 peaks per year, and I have been part of it. He lead me to PRs in two consecutive years with identical training mileage. The years before I worked with him, I trained traditionally. Just modification of training techniques including keeping some faster work in year round made a huge difference. It makes total sense. Who is more likely to get injured? Runner 1 Runs slow controlled paces always and then kicks in some faster work for 8 weeks? Runner 2 Runs comfortable, easy pace often but throws in some low volume tempo work, fast striders, and low volume critical velocity intervals or Fartleks year round? I would bet most would say Runner 1. Also, most would say Runner 2 would probably perform better. I am not a Tinman groupee but simply believe in many of his ideas which are primarily Lydiard based and many have followed his common sense techniques including many excellent runners including top master runner on this site, JIM24315.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

. Just try to steer away from Tinman. I have seen him accuse Daniels and McMillian of stealing his ideas on both letsrun.com and the now defunct coolrunning.com. I also seem to remember a third accusation at letsrun.com but I don't remember who he thought stole his ideas in that one. In all cases, it was shown he was very wrong on all of his accusations. Hell, in the one at CR I remember Nobby talking about bringing in a lawyer. I wish that thread had made it through the transition, it was a hilarious read. Just do some research here.
            I think you're the one who should do some research. Have you ever talked to Tinman or anyone who has been coached by him, or would you rather make your judgements based on what you read on Internet forums? I've been working under Tinman for more than 2 years and was impressed from day one. In the meantime I have set age-graded PR's at 5k, 8k, 12k, HM, 30k, and marathon under his guidance. Having been at it for more than 29 years, I'm not exactly at the stage where improvement comes easy either, yet am running faster now at age 62 than I was at 59--or 58 or 57, for that matter. He has probably read almost as much about Lydiard as Nobby has. For certain I know that he has read a lot about Lydiard and all the rest of history's greatest running coaches. Not only does he know a LOT, he also has a great deal of common sense that enables him to fit a training schedule to the runner rather than use a "one size fits all" approach that so many coaches do. Btw, Tchuck, did you happen to notice that Tinman's guy, Andrew Duncan, placed 2nd today in the 40-44 division at the prestigious Carlsbad 5000? He ran 15:50 to miss first by 12 seconds. And how about that Andrew Bean kid? He is a guy who Tinman makes training schedules for. He ran 31:23 at Crescent City 10k at age 19. Every name ahead of him has "KEN" under the Country column except for one who has a "NZL". He was Texas state XC champ. There is a long list--maybe not household names, but very good runners who Tinman coaches.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Oh Mighty Wing

Denise - see how your body feels. if your body feels beat up take the week easy if not you can continue as normal if you would like. I might be doing the phila distance also!!! Regardless of what i'm doing... I'd shop around. Read some Daniels, Lydiard, whomever else you might like to read. With building to 40mpw you should get faster. It seems like a reasonable plan, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure. I've only been running a year and so I haven't started with any speed work. Just building mileage has made me faster. Could it be beneficial to do one speed one hill during the week? One thing I did notice in your logs is that you haven't included cut-back weeks (not planned ones anyway). You might want to think about that as you figure out your schedule. Good luck to you!
              mikeymike

What do you mean by working on speed? Unless I'm missing something, you're already working on speed. You've got tempos, intervals and fartleks all over your log. And by the way base building is working on your speed. It's the most important part of working on speed. Regarding the bubbling Tinman debate, I think Tinman's philosophy is extremely close to what I have discovered through trial and error over the years and I have even worked some of his ideas into my training as well--at the very least it reinforced what I was already doing. I think the 2 big workouts a week and keeping some speed year round is much better for the average hobby jogger than the more traditional Pfitz/Daniels type stuff. As far as I can tell, he absolutely believes in periodization. He just doesn't believe that means god forbid you do absolutely nothing resembling speed during base. Inducing a peak as all about intensity and duration. I do strides, cruise intervals and tempos all year round without risk of peaking. Since I started training this way my progress has been steady and continuous, I've managed to peak 2x per year, and I never get injured. Tinman's biggest downfall, IMO, is he has/had bad message board people skills. And I think while his ideas apply very well to "average" runners like almost all of us on this board, he seems to think it would apply equally well to elites like Brian Sell who are running 140 miles per week. He makes the same mistake Pfitz and Daniels do only in reverse. They take the training and racing of elites and just try to "scale it down" in mileage for average Joes, which is a mistake I think. Tinman takes a program that works much better for average Joes and--at least implies--that it would work equally well for elites. Exercise lab vs. x-ray lab?. I think both are irrelevant. I'd look for a coach who's worked with real athletes in the real world. Not lab rats.

Runners run

SMART Approach

Btw, Tchuck, did you happen to notice that Tinman's guy, Andrew Duncan, placed 2nd today in the 40-44 division at the prestigious Carlsbad 5000?
                  Hey Jim, Yes, I did read this on Runzone site. BTW, Jim is in his 60s and running sub 40 min 10Ks. Just awesome!!!

Denise, By all means I would encourage you to build up to 40 mpw, and judging by the looks of your log you are not all talk either--nice progress there! Try not to rush things too much, though. I see that your March total more than doubled what you had been doing in prior months. As far as the speed goes, I’m in favor of the approach already mentioned by Tchuck and Mikey. I think it can be a mistake to try and stay in peak racing shape year around (one that I have a tendency to make), but I see no reason not to incorporate some faster running for most of the year. You can do strides, tempo runs, and slower intervals virtually year around without frying yourself. A major key to making it all work is to run the correct paces for your key workouts and easy days. Running by “feel” has become a popular buzz word, and up to a point it’s o.k. However, I believe that it is easy for a runner to justify almost any pace as the one that “just felt right”. A better approach, imo, is using a combination of hard numbers and how you are feeling on a given day. You can do this by running a benchmark race, preferably a 5k, and base your training paces on it by using one of the calculators, such as these two http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm The way I approach my workouts is to use the number that I am “supposed” to run, and use it as at starting point. Then as the workout progresses I will adjust it, plus or minus a couple seconds, according to how I feel. Usually the number I’m shooting for and what I end up running are very close. I think it's because I base my paces on current race condition rather than I what I hope to run or times I ran 10 years ago (reality). I believe that this approach will work well for most runners, but relatively few do it. One more thing—getting back to the mileage—I think it’s a good idea to work up to a goal level, such as the 40 mpw you mentioned, and hold it there for a while, rather than try to make the graph goal straight up. You might even try it for close to a year before moving on. Good luck with your running. Sorry about the hijack.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Denise, By all means I would encourage you to build up to 40 mpw, and judging by the looks of your log you are not all talk either--nice progress there! Try not to rush things too much, though. I see that your March total more than doubled what you had been doing in prior months. As far as the speed goes, I’m in favor of the approach already mentioned by Tchuck and Mikey. I think it can be a mistake to try and stay in peak racing shape year around (one that I have a tendency to make), but I see no reason not to incorporate some faster running for most of the year. You can do strides, tempo runs, and slower intervals virtually year around without frying yourself. A major key to making it all work is to run the correct paces for your key workouts and easy days. Running by “feel” has become a popular buzz word, and up to a point it’s o.k. However, I believe that it is easy for a runner to justify almost any pace as the one that “just felt right”. A better approach, imo, is using a combination of hard numbers and how you are feeling on a given day. You can do this by running a benchmark race, preferably a 5k, and base your training paces on it by using one of the calculators, such as these two http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm The way I approach my workouts is to use the number that I am “supposed” to run, and use it as at starting point. Then as the workout progresses I will adjust it, plus or minus a couple seconds, according to how I feel. Usually the number I’m shooting for and what I end up running are very close. I think it's because I base my paces on current race condition rather than I what I hope to run or times I ran 10 years ago (reality). I believe that this approach will work well for most runners, but relatively few do it. One more thing—getting back to the mileage—I think it’s a good idea to work up to a goal level, such as the 40 mpw you mentioned, and hold it there for a while, rather than try to make the graph go straight up. You might even try it for close to a year before moving on. Good luck with your running. Sorry about the hijack.
                      JakeKnight

Sorry to add to the high-jack, but I found this thread really useful and interesting - but I had a question. Assuming you include some speed work all year round ... does that really mean all year round? Or should there be some periods of X amount of weeks or months where you actually do eliminate speed work and do nothing but easy runs?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

mikeymike

Sorry to add to the high-jack, but I found this thread really useful and interesting - but I had a question. Assuming you include some speed work all year round ... does that really mean all year round? Or should there be some periods of X amount of weeks or months where you actually do eliminate speed work and do nothing but easy runs?
                          Personally, the only time I do nothing but easy runs is in marathon/season recovery. Usually only a few weeks a year. 3 weeks in the fall/early winter and 3 weeks in the spring/early summer, something like that.

Runners run

Depending on what your definition of "speed" is, I don't see much point in eliminating all faster running for extended periods, although some top runners take off up to a week at time where they don't run a step. A few things that I recommend anyone do is: 1) Learn as much as you can about running by reading, videos, talking to those who are successful at it, etc. 2) Apply some trial and error to find out what you respond best to, and make sure your discoveries withstand the test of time rather than isolated incidents 3) Keep a detailed log of all your runnnig and review it regularly. Over time you will notice trends that can be very helfpul.

Double IPA Please!

I can't thank you all enough for all of your advice- like I stated before, I attribute where I am today to what I have learned here by some very valuable and useful information/people. Jim- your correct in the fact that I really upped my mileage in March and I might of paid for that in my race (dare I say the verge of possible overtraining). What I think I also did was run by feel like you stated and justified whatever my pace was for that day as adequate when perhaps I could have benefited from going a hair slower or vice versa. I also failed to give myself any cutback weeks as ShanHas has said, I need to consider this as well. I was pretty well all drive and for whatever reason failed to give myself any down time aside from my knee flair ups. Mikey your right, I guess I have been working some speed in there, but I guess I never really thought seriously about it other than throwing it in there with no real hard focus on it (that doesn't make sense does it? lol) In the end, your right though- I have done speedwork. Yes, I have indeed noticed my speed getting better with just the mere base work aspect..a few weeks ago I whined about it but then going back and looking at my logs I can clearly see some improvement there. Jim- regarding my goal mileage- I was trying to do the very thing you mentioned about picking a mileage and sticking with it, my obsessive compulsive brain has been trying to figure out a goal that is realistic and doable for myself AND my family-kwim? Without taking away from future potential- does that make sense? I mean I have ran on and off for years, but since my kids are at an age where I can start focusing on me and my goals and have a supportive husband I really wanted to get back into it with more focus and goals attached at the end. What do I want ultimately? I am still trying to figure that out- the elusive what do you want to be when you grow up sort of thing. For now I enjoy running..a lot. When I raced on Saturday I had to dig deep and I also found a very competitive side to me that I knew existed but to what extent I was never sure, but as I headed into the finish with someone on my tail, something clicked in me and I was gonna be damned if that person got in before me Evil grin lol For now I want to train smart but I also have to be mindful of my limitations with my knees. Anything is possible right now. However, you all have been so supportive and helpful- tchuck- you have answered all my posts even if they have been redunant questions Big grin thanks..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Double IPA Please!

I also need to pay more attention to my form. There have been plenty of threads here I need to go back to, boy did I ever have tight shoulders. My mother tried to remind me a few times and I would adhere for a minute but only to be right back to where I started- tight, tight, tight.