First timed run ever ... and faster than I thought! (Read 921 times)

Stranger than you know

Hi!

New guy here. Im not totally new to running, I did a few months of semi-regular practice years ago, but havent touched the ol' running shoes since then. After slimming down from a balloonshaped 105 kg/235 lbs to a more reasonable 70 kg/155 lbs, I decided to give running another go. I walked a lot while dieting, so I am not a total couch potato anymore.

Anyway, after a few practice 4-5 mile runs looking for a good path, I timed my 7 km (4.34 mile) run today and clocked a 42:40. That means a steady 6 minutes per km pace -- about 9 minutes for a mile. Faster than I thought I was going!

Next aim: a 10k 'long one' and shaving a bit off that time on my 7km standard route.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

running can be so up and down. one week you feel like you are flying, the next you feel like you are dying!!

hang on to the good times and know the bad times when they occur are temporary!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hi!

New guy here. Im not totally new to running, I did a few months of semi-regular practice years ago, but havent touched the ol' running shoes since then. After slimming down from a balloonshaped 105 kg/235 lbs to a more reasonable 70 kg/155 lbs, I decided to give running another go. I walked a lot while dieting, so I am not a total couch potato anymore.

Anyway, after a few practice 4-5 mile runs looking for a good path, I timed my 7 km (4.34 mile) run today and clocked a 42:40. That means a steady 6 minutes per km pace -- about 9 minutes for a mile. Faster than I thought I was going!

Next aim: a 10k 'long one' and shaving a bit off that time on my 7km standard route.

Welcome and Congrats. Were you running at an easy pace? Are all your runs at the same pace?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Stranger than you know

Welcome and Congrats. Were you running at an easy pace? Are all your runs at the same pace?

Thanks. It felt like a rather easy pace. I dont run against the clock all the time, so I dont know what my pace is.

I did the same route yesterday with a slightly slower pace. After 2 days of rest the miles passed by in a blur and I felt like turning back in the goal and running more and more ... first time I've felt like that on the finishing line Surprised

Nashville Dog Runner

Good job on your timed run, Superfly!  Way to go on your weight loss.  Being thinner seems to make it easier to go faster on those 5 mile runs.  Here's my news for the day. 

9:15

8:15

7:47

8:00

6:50

I ran my first sub 7 minute mile.  Yaaaay!

www.nashvilledogrunner.com

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations, Superfly!  Hope you're logging your runs here in RA.  It's really helpful to keep track of your progress.

Stranger than you know

Congratulations, Superfly!  Hope you're logging your runs here in RA.  It's really helpful to keep track of your progress.

Thanks. I have just found the site and I dont have any notes from my sparse and intermittent running in previous years, so for now I dont really have any history to show you. Once (if) I have some actual data to proudly display, I will allow people to keep into my logs Smile

We'll see if I manage to keep a regular running schedule between work, daily yoga and other hobbies.

The Running Green Girl

That means a steady 6 minutes per km pace -- about 9 minutes for a mile. Faster than I thought I was going!

Awesome, congratulations!  And good luck!

You have the power within you to do whatever it is you want to do. Rachelle Disbennett-Lee, PhD

www.therunninggreengirl.com
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks. I have just found the site and I dont have any notes from my sparse and intermittent running in previous years, so for now I dont really have any history to show you. Once (if) I have some actual data to proudly display, I will allow people to keep into my logs Smile

We'll see if I manage to keep a regular running schedule between work, daily yoga and other hobbies.

I was really suggesting logging for your own use; whether or not you share it is up to you. Smile