Marathon Taper Anxiety (Read 652 times)

Wow, 18 weeks goes by fast when you're running. Last week prior to the big day. Honestly I have been stressing the details about how to get my wife and kids to the event, where to go, and how to get around traffic, and not so much about the run itself; then today it kind of hit me. This last month, life has gotten in the way almost every week. I made all my long runs but either had to cut a mid week run out or shorten one due to various issues. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me and have a horrible race. Saturday's 8 miler felt pretty good; ran with some friends at a pretty good sub 9 min pace, but today I am feeling I am not ready for the 26.2. I am scheduled to run 3 / 4 / 2 tu /we / thur then rest till Sunday, but am thinking I might go run a quick 2 miler today just to put my mind at ease. I know it is just pre-race jitters, but with the HM, I had previously ran the distance and made all my planned runs. For the Marathon, longest was 20 miles and the last 2 of that was pretty rough. I know the adrenaline will kick in to propel me to the finish, but still can't help this feeling...
      jitters here too. I'm just sorta browsing forums but can't really concentrate on anything...I have ten million things to do around the house and I keep wandering from room to room, LOL. AND. the worst part is the taper phantom injuries...my knee hurts, my hip hurts, my foot hurts, my neck is outta whack. Today's 4 miler was quite the chore. Tongue Saturday I did some of my 8.2 on the marathon course...miles 16-20. From the bottom of Clairemont dr. around the bay, over the 2 bridges... visualizing the race and how I'd be feeling. My dh is dropping me off at the start and meeting me at the finish. My FIL will take the boys down the hill and wait at the corner of Denver and Clairemont Dr (mile 15+) to cheer me on. I'm hoping I see someone else familiar along the way... I think this is normal. Race day adrenaline will take over and we'll both be smiling as we cross the finish! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

db7

There's nothing we can do now but wait for the day. I certainly don't feel ready for 26.2. I know the hard work we did will pay off this weekend. Hang in there the rest of the week and enjoy the moment. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Ok. Here's my advice (and please don't take it wrong)--all of you settle down and GET A GRIP! Big grin You're going to be FINE. What you all are feeling is normal, and means you are ready for the race. SpinDr--if you want to run a quick 2-miler, by all means go (of course, by the time I post this, you will have already run). It won't affect your race one way or the other--physically. But if it helps with your head, go for it. After 20 marathons, I still feel the way you do. Lifesabeach--the phantom aches/pains will never go away as you taper for a marathon. And, you are right--it's all normal. db7--You go that right--can't do much now except wait for the day. And the hard work you all have put it will payoff this weekend. And, if you haven't already figured it out, don't plan on getting a good night's sleep the night before the race. 'Tain't gunna happen. Get that two nights before. I've looked at your logs--you all have put the training in, and you are ready. Can't wait to read your reports. Good luck and good running!
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            It's totally normal to get the I-can't-do-this feeling during the taper period (well, it happened to me Wink). I felt slow, sluggish, but I was also climbing the walls. It's a sucky feeling Dead . You will, as Pron8r mentioned, be fine ... better than fine, actually Wink ... SpinDr -- everyone misses some runs here and there -- as long as you got in the majority of your long runs, you'll be fine. Good luck everyone!
            2009: BQ?
            db7

Pron8R Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know I will not feel better until I get to mile 2-3. Just impatiently waiting for Saturday!!! DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

We had a bbq where a few friends came over, who ran the marathon last year. They gave me a lot of good last minute tips, and reassurance that made me feel at ease; that and the 4 beers (carb loading Big grin)

madness baby

I was just thinking about you guys today! I was in SD and there were signs that traffic was going to be bad this upcoming weekend. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck! You're all going to have good races. Also, I'd get out there for a couple of miles a day or 2 before the race- loosen up those legs that are dying to run!
                  deb
                    thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm feeling better today. I'm even getting good sleep. ALthough, I have no idea why I'm dreaming about owls... Confused

Jennifer mm#1231

thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'm feeling better today. I'm even getting good sleep. ALthough, I have no idea why I'm dreaming about owls... Confused
                      Because an anagram for owls is SLOW--the way you want to start off. One of the biggest mistakes marathoners make is going out too fast. You feel good, you've tapered, a lot of stored-up energy, race day excitement/adrenalin, etc, tends to make one take off at a faster pace than they should. Remember--you can't "bank" minutes in a marathon. You're going to have fun and do great! Can't wait to read off your reports...
                      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                        Ok. Here's my advice (and please don't take it wrong)--all of you settle down and GET A GRIP! Big grin You're going to be FINE. What you all are feeling is normal, and means you are ready for the race. And, if you haven't already figured it out, don't plan on getting a good night's sleep the night before the race. 'Tain't gunna happen. Get that two nights before. I've looked at your logs--you all have put the training in, and you are ready. Can't wait to read your reports. Good luck and good running! My marathon is Sunday and I feel like the others on hereā€¦thanks for the words of encouragement.
                        "It is very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runner. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants to quit." George Sheehan
                          Yep the anxiety was not warranted. Awesome race and fantastic marathon experience. Felt great till about 21 miles, then the sun came out and it got tough, but I kept running. I was on an awesome pace till then, and really slowed down, but kept "running" and still ended up smashing my goal. 4:29:25 The only time I stopped was at mile 26.1 to stop to kiss the kids and wife. I did walk through the water stops, but picked it right back up, and was never forced to walk during the course.. Overall exceeded my expectation for how i'd do and more importantly how i'd feel. More details to follow. I also want to say congrats to Jen aka lifesabeach. WOW!
                            Yep the anxiety was not warranted. Awesome race and fantastic marathon experience. Felt great till about 21 miles, then the sun came out and it got tough, but I kept running. I was on an awesome pace till then, and really slowed down, but kept "running" and still ended up smashing my goal. 4:29:28 The only time I stopped was at mile 26.1 to stop to kiss the kids and wife. I did walk through the water stops, but picked it right back up, and was never forced to walk during the course.. Overall exceeded my expectation for how i'd do and more importantly how i'd feel. More details to follow. I also want to say congrats to Jen aka lifesabeach. WOW!
                            AWESOME!!! congrats! I was thinking of you. Can't wait to read your report!

Jennifer mm#1231