Back pain / miscellaneous (for first post) (Read 55 times)

KY Lumberer

Hi....will try to be brief.  I am 56 y.o. male, running for 16 yrs.  8 marathons, many halfs, and a 50 miler last November (2015).  Had always had IT band issues at about 16-18 miles in the past.  After trailing many shoes, I settled in on Altra (Torin), as I trained for 50 miler.  And because my objective was so different (and I was running with my wife, who is not fast, but can run forever), we decided to endure with a 4:2 run:walk strategy.....which worked very well (no issues or fatigue until about 42 miles in).  Okay.....since, I am having a heck of a time running continuously with no run:walk.  Also I have tried to go back to a shoe with more drop (Brooks Launch) to get more energy return.  Because of these things, my mojo suffered greatly.  I signed up for an April full to force me to get back in gear with something on the calendar.  (And now to help build my base, I am helping my wife train for this January's Goofy Challenge at Disney - but on run:walk basis.).

NOW TO MY QUESTION: in this training I am getting increasing back tightness starting at about mile 5, and getting really sore and spreading to my hip (all on right side - the side I have had IT issues in the past) at 7-8 and beyond....very painful.

So - a shoe thing?  A training thing?  An age thing?  Maybe a different gait slowing to run at wife's pace?

Input appreciated....quick aside - when I started running at age 40, I had no friends who were runners, and spent a great deal of time on 2 sites: Cool Running, and Kick - it was my motivation, my education, and my running community for my first years.

Thanks, Bill

kilkee

runktrun

This sounds like something that a good PT familiar with runners should be able to solve.  My GUESS is that the slower running you've been doing and changes in your training have exacerbated some strength imbalances, allowing one side to get weak and the other side to over compensate.  The chronic IT problems you were having could have been due to core or hip instability that have now gotten worse.

Shoes *shouldn't* have that much of a negative impact alone...but switching styles and drops when you already have some underlying problems could make things feel worse.

I can relate:  I get a knot of tightness in my lower back on the right (quadratus lumborus sp?) because my left SI joint will lock and my right SI will rotate forward, then my low back kicks in to try to generate force.  I've got some hip issues, so this is chronic, but I've been able to manage with consistent and focused strength training and I suspect with the right PT exercises, you can find relief as well.

So...I do recommend you find a good PT soon, and don't increase your mileage until you fix the back tightness.  The last thing you want to do is injure something else because your form and gait are compromised.  In the mean time, try using a foam roller and tennis ball to massage any knots or sore spots in your hammies, glutes, and low back, if you're not already doing that.  You could look up core and glute exercises, like glute bridges and squats, but I think having a PT work with you to make sure you do them right is prudent.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

I also had lower back pain issues shortly after starting running when I was in my early 50's.   I went to a chiropractor, who pointed out that one leg was 30 mm longer than the other.  Also, the long leg is on the high side when running against traffic on a road.  The remedy was a 1/4" shim under the heel of the shoe insert on the short leg.  I also try to run on lightly traveled roads (1-2 cars per day) where I can run with my short leg on the high side.  Sidewalks in commercial districts all slope toward the street, I run on the side of the street that favors my legs.  Now 64, and I've been back pain free since.  YMMV of course.

Ojo

I would add that maybe you should get it checked out by a doctor.  I started having issues about 1.5 years ago and thought it was back issues caused by overuse.  Turns out that I have Degenerative Disc Disease.  It has been quite the journey for me but I know now that I have to limit what I do and tend to do more of a walk/run thing.  Through PT and some shots I am now functioning again -- I have good days and bad, but I just want to be able to keep moving.

You might be having disc issues or narrowing of joints.  You sound a lot like me . . . and I am 52. 

Sara

MM #2929

KY Lumberer

Terrific input - greatly appreciated.  You know when these things creep in and your mind self diagnoses in a dozen different ways!  Will definitely take action to get straightened out....don't need this in a period of low mojo as it is!