Treadmills (Read 130 times)

connorhawke

Anyone here use a treadmill? Recently purchased a NordicTrack Commercial series because gyms are still indefinitely closed and the summer heat and humidity in NY is getting to me on my runs. Was comparing a T series model to the 1750 and ultimately the latter seems to have the edge for what I want/need, including a higher top speed as I sometimes run over 10mph. Actually not my first treadmill - had a cheap one in the UK but it was too slow and featureless so I learned you get what you pay for with these. Maybe I'll run more often now that I have one right in my place. Now that I have a multigym and soon a treadmill at mine the gym membership is becoming more obsolete. How is your treadmill and do you prefer running outside or on a treadmill in your home or in a gym?

GinnyinPA

I generally prefer to run outside, but when the heat and humidity are high, I run on the TM. I don't handle humidity at all well. I'll also use the TM when the roads are icy or if it's pouring rain.

Treadmills are not a good substitute for real world running, but they're better than the other alternatives.

Spent a lot of time on the 'mill when living in Summit County Colorado.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Feeling the growl again

The Nordic Track treadmills are reasonable for the price and probably best used as an alternative on days where situation/conditions don't allow for an outside run.  They aren't up to high mileage usage.  A good number of years ago that treadmill model went on sale and a handful of us here bought them, a couple of us pretty fast marathoners who ran a lot of treadmill mileage.  We destroyed them pretty quickly.  I had mine about 18 months, went through 7 decks and numerous other parts, they finally declared it a lemon and refunded my money to get out of the repairs (amicable solution on both sides).

Both of us went to treadmills more than twice the price and lived happily ever after.  Though I had a LifeSpan after the NordicTrack before I went to the Landice....it made it about 3 years with a fraction of the repairs.

For context, at that time I was running up to 2000 miles a year on the treadmill.

Back then I ran majority on the treadmill because my kids were young and it was often run on the treadmill or don't run because I couldn't leave them alone.  I now run even a higher % on treadmill, but much lower volume.  Mainly due to chronic (non-running related) hip issues which sometimes cause me to have to abandon a run in the middle.  And abandoning an 8-10 mile run 4-5 miles from home is problematic.

It has not been my experience that treadmills are sub-optimal to outdoor training.  I ran marathons in the 2:30s doing the majority of the work on a treadmill.  It is difficult to do true speedwork on a treadmill, and for marathons one does have to get on the road and "harden" one's legs so they don't become hamburger 20 miles in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My treadmill is alright, but I find running on a dreadmill is harder than running outside.

I run on the DM when it is below -30*C because I can't run solo outside at those temps.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I've had my Landice for over 6 years and it was a great choice.  I prefer outside, but use it when it is cold, rainy, dark or just to add a couple of miles while I watch TV.  I have a good basement set up for it.  It wasn't cheap (L7 model with cardio display), but it was the right choice for me.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I use the treadmill only in cases when normal running on the street is impossible.
                But it's not that cool, so I don't really like treadmills

Feeling the growl again

I use the treadmill only in cases when normal running on the street is impossible.
                  But it's not that cool, so I don't really like treadmills

Typical treadmills in a gym are hell.  No airflow.  My treadmill is on our second story, and typically, it's hotter up there than downstairs.  But I put the treadmill under a ceiling fan, and I build a stand to fix a 2ft standard box fan a foot behind my back.  This makes for an entirely different experience.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Docket_Rocket

I have a Sole F85 and have had a treadmill since 2014. I ended up training fully on the TM for 3-4 years due to the permanent heat and humidity that was Miami. Now that I'm in the Midwest, I still use it in the Summer. I don't feel any difference between my TM and the outdoors pacewise or effortwise. I auto calibrate the TM every 3 months after we lubricate it and it used to take 2500-3000 miles a year without issue.

It's probably the best running investment I've done as those years 2014-2019 would not have seen as many marathons as they did without the TM.

I have an industrial fan beside it and without a fan it would feel like hell.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

dhuffman63

Trails

I have a ProForm, can't remember what model as it's over 10 years old.  At first it saw  minimal use but the last 5 years I trained for ultramarathons on it as I live out in the country and had to stay home to take care of the animals.  It's held up remarkably well given the fact that I do very little maintenance on it.

anneb

I've also got a Lifespan treadmill which is nearly 8 years old. I'm not a fast runner, and run pretty much base mileage these days. I use it when it's too cold/icy in the winter or too hot/humid in the summer. For the price (~1700) it's been pretty solid. A couple years ago I needed to replace the circuit board but they sent that to me (way out of warranty, but no cost). Also sent me a new belt, which I need to get on it even though I didn't need it then. It's got pretty much zero extra features, so next time I may look for a few more things. These days I use the thing about 300-400 miles a year out of 1500-1800+ total.

Anne

connorhawke

Treadmill finally arrived and assembled it. So nice having AC while running. Looking forward to future summer, winter, and bad weather runs on my treadmill in NYC. Due to the new gym equipment I got while gyms were closed I've cancelled my obsolete gym membership.

I find running on a dreadmill is harder than running outside.

I run on the DM when it is below -30*C because I can't run solo outside at those temps.

I admire you Canadians.

selena richard

link spam
                              melissajeffrey

Hello everyone,

Yes, I am using it, but first I preferred gym for workout, but because of COVID-19, all gyms was closed, so I bought treadmill and some barbells through Bluefin Fitness coupon for a workout at home, running outside is also good, I do both.