Hip Pain while running? (Read 632 times)

Okay, so for the most part I've just been trying to ignore this, and if possible do a bit of my running on the grass, or something soft like that, but I figured it would be good just to see any thoughts on what might be causing this. Starting back in Winter track, I started getting a pain near my right hip a lot of times when I landed my from stride while running. For the most part I don't worry about it too much, I just try not to aggravate it more than needed, and for the most part it doesn't really get any worse. Around when spring track rolled around, we started running less miles, and for what I can remember it went away, and stayed away. Spring track ended without any problems, I took a few weeks break, and then started running a bit on my own for cross country. For the most part I've been fine, but now that we're back into 50-60 mile weeks, it's starting to come back. I was just wondering if this should be something I should be concerned about because it seems to keep coming back during heavy running (even if it doesn't neccessarily get worse). Just to provide a little more info on what I'm feeling, its kind of on the side/back of my hip, down where I can feel my hips stick out a bit.
      I think I have something similar, and not coincidentally, it flared up when I took my weekly mileage up to the high 80's. As far as I can tell (self-diagnosed) it is a "basic overuse injury" likely in the form of inflammation of the connective tissue in the hip. See article here. As with any other overuse injury, I'm trying to be smart about the problem, but trying not to let it interfere with my training. Mine hasn't gotten to the point of actually affecting my form, so I'm hoping a cut-back week will give it time to settle down. As always, YMMV. If the pain spreads, interferes with your running form, or doesn't go away when you decrease your mileage, talk to whomever you would normally talk to about a possible injury (parents, coach, etc.).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

A Saucy Wench

I would talk to someone now while it is still mild. It is possible that doing extra strengthening or stretching could help prevent it from becoming major. I have one hip pain flare up occasionally and last year I learned a piriformis strengthener and if I start doing that at the first twinge it goes away and doesnt come back.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I would talk to someone now while it is still mild. It is possible that doing extra strengthening or stretching could help prevent it from becoming major. I have one hip pain flare up occasionally and last year I learned a piriformis strengthener and if I start doing that at the first twinge it goes away and doesnt come back.
          Any chance you have a link to the exercise or would be willing to describe it? I'm keen to help the pain go away, and Trent has sufficiently scared me about taking NSAIDS that I'm trying very hard not to medicate the issue.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Dave

I had similar symptoms last year and my PT diagnosed ITBS (the top of it connects up at your hip). You may want to try some of the IT band stretches.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

Well, my specific problem was diagnosed as piriformis instability...so not sure if it would help you or not but... The best way to describe it is the "bowlers curtsy" Hold a light weight in your right hand (~ 10 lbs) . Standing on your left leg sweep your right foot behind you and to the left, more left than back. Think of getting it as straight left as you can while keeping your hips aligned. Right arm goes down to the floor , left arm where ever it needs to be for stability, start with it out to the left, eventually you may want to try putting it on your hip. You should look like a pro-bowler releasing the ball. Back straight. Left knee bending (but dont let it pronate in - you need to watch the knee in a mirror at first to make sure it doesnt collapse) . Your right hand should come down within an inch of the floor or lightly graze the floor, but not so far that you rest weight on it. Repeat 10-20 times on each side.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

I had similar symptoms last year and my PT diagnosed ITBS (the top of it connects up at your hip). You may want to try some of the IT band stretches.
                This is what I mean..hip pain is so nebulous...get a PT to diagnose cause and you will have better success in treating.