opinions on running watches... (Read 1400 times)

Feeling the growl again

Timex 100 Lap Ironman is all the watch any runner needs.  Big easy-to-read display with Indiglo for excellent night visibility, stopwatch (obviously), countdown timer, programmable 9-segment interval timer, 5-alarms.  Nice big button for starting the run and hitting laps, and the stop button is on the side -- helps prevent accidentally stopping the watch.  No, it doesn't measure pace and distance, but that doesn't really matter. Just run, baby.

GPS watches have their place....my Garmin 201 is still staying alive and I use it a lot...but I have been wearing these Ironmans for twenty years.  The only negative thing I have to say about them is that once the battery goes dead, just throw them in the trash.  I tried replacing (or having professionally replaced) the batteries and the watch got moisture in it and went dead within a month every time.

Since they cost like $35 and go for around 2 years apiece, I don't get too upset about it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

GPS watches have their place....my Garmin 201 is still staying alive and I use it a lot...but I have been wearing these Ironmans for twenty years.  The only negative thing I have to say about them is that once the battery goes dead, just throw them in the trash.  I tried replacing (or having professionally replaced) the batteries and the watch got moisture in it and went dead within a month every time.

Since they cost like $35 and go for around 2 years apiece, I don't get too upset about it.

This has been my experience as well.  When it dies, get a new one.

Not at it at all. 

JimR

This has been my experience as well.  When it dies, get a new one.

My 100 lapper is about 9 years old now. I've replaced the battery either 3 or 4 times, most recently being 2 months ago.  I had to clean one of the contacts as the recall button stopped working, otherwise it's been just fine.  Care has to be taken when reassembling them to make sure the rubber gasket/o-ring is perfectly aligned as it's really easy to knock it off it's track.  If it dies for good I'd replace it with the same.

Hannibal Granite

^^ This

I have a  lot of routes of known distance. If I run someplace new I can use one of the mapping tools here or I can estimate.  I know about how fast I run on an everyday basis +/- 10-15 seconds/mile.  If I have to estimate and I was feeling slow and heavy as I have been lately I'll estimate toward the slow end, If I was feeling good I'll estimate toward the fast end.  Either way I know how long I was running for

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Why is it sideways?

I bought a Nike GPS watch and in my probably-should-be-more-humble opinion it is a POS. I went back to my Timex which is at least 5 years old and hasn't needed the battery replaced. You dance with the girl you brought, or something like that.

Oh, and my morning 5 miler is actually 5.3 miles. You do the math.

I'm on my 2nd Garmin 305. First lasted one lasted for about 9,000 miles in a little over 3.5 years of use. Pretty much use it whenever I run. I like to have the numbers.

I'm on my 3rd, maybe fourth Timex. Inexpensive, but I still just replace the batteries. Just did this morning as a matter of fact. Only $8. I like the 30 lap model, smaller on my wrist. Still look like a geek when I wear it and the Garmin to the track. Watch of choice for the first 10-15 years of running. Still has it's place for the track.

Get off my porch

Feeling the growl again

^^ This

I have a  lot of routes of known distance. If I run someplace new I can use one of the mapping tools here or I can estimate.  I know about how fast I run on an everyday basis +/- 10-15 seconds/mile.  If I have to estimate and I was feeling slow and heavy as I have been lately I'll estimate toward the slow end, If I was feeling good I'll estimate toward the fast end.  Either way I know how long I was running for

A lot of my easy runs are not GPS'd for this very reason.  But I use the GPS for workouts.  I'm too lazy to spend time with mapping tools except on rare occasions for scouting new/special-purpose routes, so if I don't GPS it or run it on a known route I divide total time by estimated pace and call it good.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Care has to be taken when reassembling them to make sure the rubber gasket/o-ring is perfectly aligned as it's really easy to knock it off it's track.  If it dies for good I'd replace it with the same.

I'm typically pretty handy but even this amount of care has not helped.  I've thought of getting some gasket lubricant or something but in the end, screw it, I just get another watch.  Both of my current ones were bought when I left for a race forgetting my watch and had to pick a new one up en route, so when the old one died I had a new(er) one on deck already.

all you need to be handy is right there.

L Train

Oh, and my morning 5 miler is actually 5.3 miles. You do the math.

Math is an invention of the man.

JimR

I'm typically pretty handy but even this amount of care has not helped.  I've thought of getting some gasket lubricant or something but in the end, screw it, I just get another watch.  Both of my current ones were bought when I left for a race forgetting my watch and had to pick a new one up en route, so when the old one died I had a new(er) one on deck already.

the gaskets are pretty thin, I imagine any level of warping of the back plate and that would be that.  Mine is the older big black/grey cast thing.

dennrunner

My 100 lapper is about 9 years old now. I've replaced the battery either 3 or 4 times, most recently being 2 months ago.  I had to clean one of the contacts as the recall button stopped working, otherwise it's been just fine.  Care has to be taken when reassembling them to make sure the rubber gasket/o-ring is perfectly aligned as it's really easy to knock it off it's track.  If it dies for good I'd replace it with the same.

Same here.

Replaced the battery for the 3rd time a couple of months ago. But the strap finally broke completely. Per interaction with Timex via email with the exact model number, I was instructed to return the watch with $10 for strap/band replacement. Sounds too good to be true. Mailed it several days ago. Guess I'll see what happens.

The way I read your post makes me think that you assume GPS watches give you directions like an in-car system. They don't (but some can, kind of). The main function is to record your location at small intervals. These trackpoints can then be used to get distance, pace and various other things.

Personally I would get a GPS watch

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. I like that I don't have to pay attention to where I'm running and that I can just change direction or route at any moment w/o worrying about having to remember the route or distance. Plus it is so easy to just upload the data from the watch to RA.

Another feature I like is that you can program the watch with custom workouts.

"run" "2" "eat"

Per interaction with Timex via email with the exact model number, I was instructed to return the watch with $10 for strap/band replacement. Sounds too good to be true. Mailed it several days ago. Guess I'll see what happens.

i have had a timex kids watch for years -- not for running, but it's a dependable small-sized digital everyday watch with indiglo. plus, it does this magic-8-ball style game. anyway!! the indiglo has gone out on it over the years many times and i have always emailed timex, they will send a mailer, i mail in my watch, they repair it and send it back. usually total cost around $16. very reliable. i cannot find the mystery answer watch (that's what it's called) anywhere retail anymore, so i've always counted on timex for a replacement or repair.

however, i cannot find the email from the last time i corresponded with them, so when the watch broke this time -- one of the strap-holders broke -- i figured i was out of luck.... until today! because now you can tell me the email address you contacted them or where you found the email address.

thanks in advance!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

dennrunner

i have had a timex kids watch for years -- not for running, but it's a dependable small-sized digital everyday watch with indiglo. plus, it does this magic-8-ball style game. anyway!! the indiglo has gone out on it over the years many times and i have always emailed timex, they will send a mailer, i mail in my watch, they repair it and send it back. usually total cost around $16. very reliable. i cannot find the mystery answer watch (that's what it's called) anywhere retail anymore, so i've always counted on timex for a replacement or repair.

however, i cannot find the email from the last time i corresponded with them, so when the watch broke this time -- one of the strap-holders broke -- i figured i was out of luck.... until today! because now you can tell me the email address you contacted them or where you found the email address.

thanks in advance!

Found the email address here:  http://www.timex.com/info/Corporate_Contact_Info

The email address is:  custserv@timex.com