How long before a goal marathon would you race a 5K/10K (Read 562 times)

A Saucy Wench

I dont mean "run at marathon goal pace" I mean race. Because I know me and if I showed up I would race. Last year I did a 5K 2weeks out and it seemed ok, but not sure. I signed up for a 10K points series (8 races) and then decided to do the marathon. One of the 10K's I was going to skip because it was a trail 10K about a month before the marathon and I am paranoid about trail runs (sprained my ankle on a trail) but will probably do it now. It is a trial so I am less likely to race it - I can still probably garner a few points. Unfortunately the one and only flat 10K in the whole dang series is 1 week before the marathon. That one I will skip. Hopefully I'll be able to do the last one which is 2 weeks post marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hannibal Granite

I know what you mean about 'racing' a race vs. running at marathon pace b/c I do the same thing. I figure if I want to run at marathon pace I'll just do a workout, I enter race to see how fast I can go. As for your question I think anyone who was in shape enough to run a marathon could safely race a 5-K a week out from a goal marathon without negatively affecting the marathon as long as you're okay with probably not setting a 5K PR that day. If you're a higher mileage runner and recover fairly quickly you could probably handle a 10K a week out, but I wouldn't race any farther than that a week out. Two weeks out from a marathon would be plenty for a 10K race, but I'd keep a 10-miler or 1/2 Mar. race at least three weeks away from a goal marathon. Good luck with the race 2 weeks after your marathon and the marathon itself of course, be sure to get plenty of recovery after the marathon and don't worry about getting in any 'workouts' just run easy between the two races. I set my 10K PR three weeks after my marathon PR and that's what worked for me

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I've done a 5k on a Wednesday, a 50k on Sunday, and then another 5k the next Wednesday before. The 2nd 5k wasn't particularly fast.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

The rule of thuimb that I like to use for the closest to a marathon to race is 2-weeks for a 10-15k race, 3-weeks for a 20k-HM. A week or two earlier in each case is even better.
          JakeKnight

I've picked up a personal habit of running a hard 10k one week before every marathon. For some reason, it makes my legs feel really good after all the long slow miles. I usually run it myself, but as hard as I can. Seems to help. Never seems to hurt.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

I've picked up a personal habit of running a hard 10k one week before every marathon. For some reason, it makes my legs feel really good after all the long slow miles. I usually run it myself, but as hard as I can. Seems to help. Never seems to hurt.
              grrrrr... I knew someone would be encouraging me to do that race! I want to do it only because all the other races in the series are dang hilly and it would be nice to know what I could do if one wasnt. But I care about the marathon, I dont really care about the 10K and it is a freaking long drive for a 10K. Part of me thinks I would do BETTER running it too. I was so sluggish at my last marathon. Still plenty of time to decide. I get anal and think ahead WAAAAY too much. When I was pg I was getting so antsy I had my next 15 months of training all worked out, written down printed out, races filled in. Like it was anywhere CLOSE to reality. MTA: OF course you do stuff like 42 mile runs 2 weeks out so....

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JakeKnight

OF course you do stuff like 42 mile runs 2 weeks out so....
                It was one week out. Smile And I'm not encouraging you to do it. Everybody's different. It might hurt you. I dunno. If it was your first, I'd tell you not to do it. But you've done a couple marathons already, so you probably have some idea what'll work for you. Just in *my* personal experience, the "traditional" taper always leaves me sluggish, to use your word. I think - just my opinion - that most average runners lose fitness in the last week or two before a marathon. I suspect - my opinion again - that the taper most of us use is really intended for more elite runners. My training last April was an attempt to test that. Not only did I do the 42 miler, then a hard PR pace marathon a week later ... but I also ran real training runs in the week before the CMM. I did Yasso 800s on Monday, ran more intervals on Wednesday, even did a tempo/MP run in there somewhere, all for a Saturday marathon, just two weeks after Glass City. And I was fully expecting the wheels to fall off. But the opposite happened. I felt sharper than I ever had, through the whole race. The first 15 miles were so easy I had to hold back; in fact, I think I could have gone sub 3:30 if I'd pushed it. I was still feeling good at mile 24. But that's me. I'd guess, looking at your awesomely consistent mileage, that you'd be fine to run your 10k. I'd guess it might even help. But since your mileage may vary, don't blame me if you do it and something awful happens. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

I run a 10k about one week out also and just work on pace because the race is going to be pace, I also lift weights and just have fun the week before and taper some and try to increase the carbs in the morning time. The race will be a reflection of your past training, age, stress, job and other factors, I might also try to do some 800 meter intervals on like Tuesday to get my legs geared up and build some speed if I feel good. The last three days are easy running and going through the motions and trying to avoid injury and get my immune system some rest.
                  HermosaBoy

I have done a 5k race (PR) the weekend before a goal marathon. I think that you would have enough time to recover and go at it after 7 or 8 days...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I've only run 2 marathons, neither of them very well (3:57:41 for the first, 3:54:49 for the second). I raced a 14.14km 2 weeks before the first one and a half marathon 2 weeks before the second (which was a PR). I was happy with both times, just not happy with the walking part. I had a 10km race 2 weeks after the first which was my 3rd slowest ever. I have a 10km tomorrow which is 2 weeks after my second-and the same course as last time. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I do feel alot better this time around.