Top 2 :facepalm: running advice (Read 334 times)

running metalhead

I found the below "sound" advice in books and online magazines. I have read tons of stupid, useless or plain obvious advice but these two are my personal top:

2. Don't run on uneven sidewalks

Found in a book about running (bet you know which) Well, this one makes a lot of sense... if your whole running career consists on imitating

a hamster on treadmill.The fun part is that a few paragraphs later it was talking about running on trails. Well... I guess the place where the

author lives was full with perfectly soft and groomed trails with rubber roots and soft fluffy rocks Wink

1. Never put on your shoes with the laces still tied

Reason: The movements you make  trying to put on your shoes  could cause an injury. Read in the Spanish version of RW online.

:facepalm:  

Roll eyes

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Gator eye

Once I get my laces just right, not to tight not to loose, I double knot them tight and never untie them again.

The only one size fits all advice I ve found for running is always carry paper and all threads about running sooner or later turn into conversations about poop.

1. Never put on your shoes with the laces still tied

Reason: The movements you make  trying to put on your shoes  could cause an injury. 

Runners are delicate flowers and any unnecessary/extraneous movements not meant to propel you forward are to be avoided, especially before a race.

running metalhead

The only one size fits all advice I ve found for running is always carry paper and all threads about running sooner or later turn into conversations about poop.

Or beer... or both XD

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

aponi

never runs the tangents

Or beer... or both XD

or dogs and cyclists

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

Sharz96

I found the below "sound" advice in books and online magazines. I have read tons of stupid, useless or plain obvious advice but these two are my personal top:

2. Don't run on uneven sidewalks

Found in a book about running (bet you know which) Well, this one makes a lot of sense... if your whole running career consists on imitating

a hamster on treadmill.The fun part is that a few paragraphs later it was talking about running on trails. Well... I guess the place where the

author lives was full with perfectly soft and groomed trails with rubber roots and soft fluffy rocks Wink ....

Actually, I agree with the original author and disagree with OP on this one.  Sidewalks have an illusion of flat and level, and is virtually impossible to stay mentally alert to every #$%^&*()_  seam to be sure that you NOTICE if a corner is raised, sunk, etc.  The only times I've EVER fallen while running was on sidewalks.  It is the biggest reason why I run at 4AM -- so I can run on empty streets instead of the sidewalk.

Rungry!

Actually, I agree with the original author and disagree with OP on this one.  Sidewalks have an illusion of flat and level, and is virtually impossible to stay mentally alert to every #$%^&*()_  seam to be sure that you NOTICE if a corner is raised, sunk, etc.  The only times I've EVER fallen while running was on sidewalks. 

Ditto - I've fallen a few times due to uneven sidewalks. I try to avoid them when I can. I've fallen on trails too, but the landing was one hell of a lot softer than cement.

Jen

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I also avoid sidewalks for the above reasons but also because I'm tall and sidewalks tend to have tree branches at just the height to put out an eye if I'm not paying attention. Cars backing out and kid's toys are other hazards of the sidewalks. Sidewalks are bad news.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

You'll ruin your knees!

I also avoid sidewalks for the above reasons but also because I'm tall and sidewalks tend to have tree branches at just the height to put out an eye if I'm not paying attention. Cars backing out and kid's toys are other hazards of the sidewalks. Sidewalks are bad news.

Also, in some areas, the sidewalks are not excluded from the sprinkler coverage... on many occasions, I have had to choose between jumping in a busy lane of traffic or being doused by a commercial watering system.  Here in Texas, it is an easy choice during the summer, but still...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)