Math Nerds - distance calc, track with gates (Read 949 times)

xhristopher

Since it's just for training couldn't you simply measure out your longer interval back from the start line with your GPS and leave your water bottle or something on the start position? Who really cares if you are off a couple meters since each rep will be equal length.

I was in the '10 Items or Less' line at a grocery store in Cambridge, MA, holding a basket with - obviously - less than 10 items.

The young man in front of me had a basket piled high with much more than this limit. So the girl at the register takes a long look at him, said, "Say... you must attend either Harvard or MIT."

"Wow," said the guy. "How did you know that?"

Without missing a beat, the girl replied, "Because this is a '10 Items or Less' line. And you either go to MIT, and can't read, or go to Harvard, and can't count."

Cough - *fewer*.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Since it's just for training couldn't you simply measure out your longer interval back from the start line with your GPS and leave your water bottle or something on the start position? Who really cares if you are off a couple meters since each rep will be equal length.

With you on who cares - I was just sort of throwing it out as a "something to calculate"  / curiousity type of thing - like I wrote in OP, no significant effect on the workout. All previous interval workouts have been done on dirt path around my office, so I'm not a stickler for accuracy. This was just the first time I've done one on a track.

I don't got no stinkin' GPS though.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Our local h.s. track has a sign that says "Please do not jog in lanes 1 and 2."  So I only use lane 1 for running, but I do warmups cooldowns and recoveries in Lane 3.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://www.eracewalk.com/CalcTrac.htm

Doesn't address your weaving in-and-out-of-lanes-craziness, but has all sorts of calculations for distances/paces/etc when running in outside lanes.

I think MM's idea of running the 400m in lane 5, jogging the turn ~100m and coming back is the best one.  

Or you could just run 400m from the lane 5 stagger to the finish, then casually walk the 27m (lane 5 is 427m long) from the finish line back to the lane 5 stagger in the time it would take you to jog 200m.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I use this and run a lap and then figure out how long it was after.  

In the time it took me to look up the link and type my stupid message, Ennay beat me to it.  Though admittedly, I had to leave the computer for several minutes to take a dump.  

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'd just run the straights back and forth.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'd just run the straights back and forth.

Shuttle runs were fun in elementary school, but that's not a fun way to run 400m intervals.  Then again, there's nothing fun about 400m intervals anyway...

xhristopher

With you on who cares - I was just sort of throwing it out as a "something to calculate"  / curiousity type of thing - like I wrote in OP, no significant effect on the workout. All previous interval workouts have been done on dirt path around my office, so I'm not a stickler for accuracy. This was just the first time I've done one on a track.

I don't got no stinkin' GPS though.

Sorry about not paying close attention.

Here's another solution.

Go to Home Depot.

Buy this:

and this

Go measure and mark your intervals. Don't forget to return the tape when you are done.

xor

My head hurts.

A Saucy Wench

My head hurts.

"I need truth - and some aspirin"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

All the tracks around here are either locked up airtight or have some "guidance" (signs, obstacles) re: not running in the inside lanes.  If you really want to, you can run repeats longer than 400m.  The one time I cared, I paced off the length of the 200m stagger, then paced that distance off forward from the 400m stagger, then put my water bottle there.  That was my "600m stagger" starting point; the finish was at the end of the back straight.  You won't be able to take accurate intermediate splits, either.

Or you could do what Mikey says.

This is always solid advice.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So a track has lanes 1-x blocked (say 1-4). So all the daily users run in laps 5-8. As a result, laps 5-8 get worn out first (rather than 1-4). Either way, the track has to be replaced.

So why block lanes 1-4?

That'd have to be some hellacious public use, considering the damage being caused by spiked feet and faster running in lanes 1-4.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau