2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

rlopez

What is the cure/vaccine for white privilege/racism/police brutality/celebrating Texas receiving word slavery has been abolished/affordable housing/ mental health/Fox News viewship.

Ah shit I mixed up my thread. Trent or rlopez might drop in shortly.  I guess I need to disappear for a short period again.

Yeah.

Dude. WTF is wrong with you?

That's rhetorical. I'll leave now. Not sure if you are always this way or just recently. But damn.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yeah.

Dude. WTF is wrong with you?

That's rhetorical. I'll leave now. Not sure if you are always this way or just recently. But damn.

Right on time.

EDIT: Only took 9 minutes for you to reply to this according to the time stamps on our posts. I shouldn't be shocked with how active you've been in this thread all year long.

back to lurking.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Brewing Runner, do you brew?

rlopez

Right on time.

EDIT: Only took 9 minutes for you to reply to this according to the time stamps on our posts. I shouldn't be shocked with how active you've been in this thread all year long.

back to lurking.

I think that was the 2nd time I've ever posted in this thread, so I have to assume your comment is sarcasm, and "back to lurking" is a command. That's cool. This is a thread about marathon training.

I will just state, for the official record, that you called me out. Because you are whining about something in a completely different thread that you flounced yourself out of (but then returned to, as is the way of the typical flounce). 

Dude, go back to talking about marathon training. That's what the people want. You don't have to set your amp to 11 and go on about (waves hands around). Not in this thread.

And again: you called me out. If you do that and I respond, don't be an ass about it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hey Brewing Runner, do you brew?

Not anymore. I was mediocre at best so I quit. I just haven’t been able to come up with a new name, I’d need to re-introduce myself here, and creating a new name is low on the list of things to do currently.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

OMR

Dwave:  As was posted earlier, the Fargo Marathon is usually run in May, but they rescheduled due to COVID-19.  Late August is a bit of a crapshoot for us.  Early August is typically hot, and mid-September can be glorious.  So the question is whether we have a lingering summer or an early fall.  Normally, the high dew points (upper 60s/low 70s) have become a thing of the past by late August.  However, especially in the past couple of years, it seems as though both summer and winter have been hanging around longer than normal, and then we just get thrust into the other one.  Having said all of that, 1) you'll probably be acclimated to whatever I might describe as a late summer, and 2) if you get an early fall, you'll be in Heaven.  And this is not the "Minnesota nice" kind of Heaven, because, well, it's North Dakota.

I'm thinking about running either the 10K or the Half as well, so if you do decide to do this, maybe I'll opt for the same race, so that you can crush me into oblivion...

rovatti:  So in the past few weeks, there have been what I believe are drug deals going on right in front of our house.  I took a video, called the police, and gave them a license plate number.  Since then, I may have heard the sound of a woodchipper once or twice, but I haven't seen any drug deals.  (Not all of what I said here is true...)

Brew:  OK, so what did you do now?  I've been absent from things for a while...apparently I missed something?

rlopez:  That avatar is familiar, but I'm old, and I have memory problems, so I just can't place it.  And when is "Dude...WTF is wrong with you?" a rhetorical question?  (I wish I could ask this of almost ALL of my students...)

also Brew:  FYI, the college where I teach rebranded its mission (within the last five years or so) to BREW-ing..."Becoming Responsibly Engaged in the World."  So, I think you just need to redefine what it means to "brew," and you'll be golden.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Home-brew or professional?

Not anymore. I was mediocre at best so I quit. I just haven’t been able to come up with a new name, I’d need to re-introduce myself here, and creating a new name is low on the list of things to do currently.

rlopez

rlopez:  That avatar is familiar, but I'm old, and I have memory problems, so I just can't place it.  And when is "Dude...WTF is wrong with you?" a rhetorical question?  (I wish I could ask this of almost ALL of my students...)

It is from John Belushi's "Little Tiny Donuts" ad from the 1977 season of SNL. Watch it here.

That ad was a spoof on Bruce Jenner's Wheaties ad. Watch that one here.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave:  As was posted earlier, the Fargo Marathon is usually run in May, but they rescheduled due to COVID-19.  Late August is a bit of a crapshoot for us.  Early August is typically hot, and mid-September can be glorious.  So the question is whether we have a lingering summer or an early fall.  Normally, the high dew points (upper 60s/low 70s) have become a thing of the past by late August.  However, especially in the past couple of years, it seems as though both summer and winter have been hanging around longer than normal, and then we just get thrust into the other one.  Having said all of that, 1) you'll probably be acclimated to whatever I might describe as a late summer, and 2) if you get an early fall, you'll be in Heaven.  And this is not the "Minnesota nice" kind of Heaven, because, well, it's North Dakota.

I'm thinking about running either the 10K or the Half as well, so if you do decide to do this, maybe I'll opt for the same race, so that you can crush me into oblivion...

I'm leaning towards the 10K, because it's supposedly flat and fast (and I haven't raced a fast 10K in several years, since the ones we have around here often don't fit my schedule).

Can fly round trip between DC and MSP for....$88.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

rlopez:  oh yeah, of course...Belushi...thanks.

Dwave:  $88 ?!  Wow.  I took a look at the 10K map.  If they keep the start/finish indoors, then you'll begin with about a 10-foot ramp out of the Fargodome (and finish with the descent back into it).  I believe the rest of that route is pancake flat.  The route for the Half includes a paved/concrete trail from around mile 2.2 to 4.5, so that has a little elevation to it (as does a small section around mile 5).  Part of that trail is pretty narrow (no more than 2-3 runners wide), so passing people could be difficult if you're in a large group.  I wonder if they will be reconsidering routes due to social distancing guidelines.  The biggest concern there would be the start/finish in the Fargodome, because it isn't a wide starting line, and runners are shoulder to shoulder in an in-door environment.  Anyhow, let me know what you ultimately decide.  I could easily run either route so you can see an elevation (or lack thereof) map.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My gut feeling is that the London Marathon is going to happen in October.....firstly, because it is London.

The race normally starts at around 10am, so they could easily stagger start times from say 8 to 11...plus there are 3 separate start lines. The faster runners will have collected their belongings and at the bar for 11:30....and the slowest/fancy dress runners start the race at 11.

Mass BLM weekend London gatherings are continuing, so if there are no spikes then it would be a piss take if the race wasn’t allowed to happen...AND the race raised over 66 million for charity last year. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Home. All grain. 10 gallon igloo setup with a repurposed keg as a boil kettle. Blichmann burner before the hellfire came out. 17 cubic fr freezer with an ITC Temp controller for fermentation. Just threw out about 4 pounds of hops last weekend. Still have the Monster Mill 2.0, about 120 pounds of grains in Vittles Vaults, stir plates, flasks, scale, Star San, and some other equipment for sale too. 

Home-brew or professional?

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is like the Obama beer summit. I like it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Brew is fast becoming my favourite poster.  And the most unfairly maligned.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is like the Obama beer summit. I like it.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/obamas-beer-summit-effort-to-end-racial-dispute

I guess our race will be a beer mile. We have 9 minutes to solve problems. The buyers question we will need to answer is ‘why isn’t Trent drinking Coors Light?’ Yea I deliberately picked a Fox News article to cite. It’s just so fitting appropriate easy my style.

VDOT 53.37