2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Then I got home, showered, and got back out to my usual spot at mile 11.5 and cheered for the very first racer to the last for about 4 or 5 hours.  After the sweeper caravan passed by, I noticed a few stragglers who were passed by the sweepers.  I tagged along one of them making sure she was ok or needed anything.  We ended up walking together until mile 24, the entrance of Central Park, where she would go on to finish on her own.

The surreal part is what happens to the race after the sweepers pass.  The race gradually shuts down.  No aid stations, so you have to fend for yourself for water, etc.  Crowd support is gone.  The roaring cavern of crowds entering 1st Ave off Queensboro Bridge was dead silent when we got there.  All the fun bands have packed up and left.  Mile markers and timing mats have been removed.  Barricades are broken down, so the police shuffle us onto the sidewalks as cars return to the roads.  We helped navigate a couple others through the turns in the Bronx, where it does get tricky, especially with traffic back on the streets and it's now dark.

I decided to peel off at the entrance to the Park, as I had no business being at the finish.  Aside from helping pace, being moral support through tough patches where she thought of quitting, and finding bottles of water along the course, I made sure not to provide any physical assistance (I would only do that if medical attention was imminently needed).  She did finish in 8+ hours.  Not last place though, but a very unique experience for me to see what it's like to struggle to finish NYC after all race and crowd support are gone.

Wonderful that you did this.  That woman found out about the extraordinary kindness of NYC strangers.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Wonderful that you did this.  That woman found out about the extraordinary kindness of NYC strangers.

+1

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Bert-o

I lost my rama

LedLincoln & Fred - Thanks!   It was at a spur of the moment decision, but seemed the right thing to do.

NY is always the best day of the year and look forward to running it again next year just never again with a pacer.  I will go back to focusing on running my race and enjoying the energy once again.

I am curious of others experiences running with a pacer especially at NY.

Yup, I agree NYC is a great day.  And if you're too focused you will definitely miss out on what's around you.

I followed a 3:30 pacer in 2015.  I didn't plan on following the pacer, but I ended up following him until mile 18.  He had a hand-held water bottle, so both navigating through the crowds and catching up after water stops was a bit of a challenge.  The biggest thing though, and it really depends on the pacer, was the pacers tend to go even pace versus even effort.  This means they'll go faster uphill than you'd probably want to, but as long as they keep even pace, you should catch up on the downhill.

I don't follow pacers anymore, but run my own race.  They're a good reference point though, especially in big races where there's a lot of pacers, so you just know where you are.

Congrats on your finish!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

mjrunner

LedLincoln & Fred - Thanks!   It was at a spur of the moment decision, but seemed the right thing to do.

Yup, I agree NYC is a great day.  And if you're too focused you will definitely miss out on what's around you.

I followed a 3:30 pacer in 2015.  I didn't plan on following the pacer, but I ended up following him until mile 18.  He had a hand-held water bottle, so both navigating through the crowds and catching up after water stops was a bit of a challenge.  The biggest thing though, and it really depends on the pacer, was the pacers tend to go even pace versus even effort.  This means they'll go faster uphill than you'd probably want to, but as long as they keep even pace, you should catch up on the downhill.

I don't follow pacers anymore, but run my own race.  They're a good reference point though, especially in big races where there's a lot of pacers, so you just know where you are.

Congrats on your finish!

I compared his mile times on the app, and he was more or less on pace, but it did seem he accelerated in some points when clearing allowed.  Also navigating the crowds and getting boxed in during the early miles  was a major issue in staying with him.

+1 in supporting a fellow runner.

Nasreddin Hoja

Hey, great to see you pop in here! 

+ 1

Not NYCM related, but +1 to all this. Many pacers are extremely reliable, but they're all human beings running marathons, so you never know what you're going to get on a given day.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Not NYCM related, but +1 to all this. Many pacers are extremely reliable, but they're all human beings running marathons, so you never know what you're going to get on a given day.

A very good point.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Julia1971

I've been more interested in sleeping than writing but my race report is finally up!

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I've been more interested in sleeping than writing but my race report is finally up!

Really enjoyed your RR, and wow, you ran a fantastic race!  Too funny you had to use the "international sign for 'Look at all this road'".  That made me laugh.  Congrats on qualifying for NYC again as well as Boston!

3/17 - NYC Half

Julia1971

Really enjoyed your RR, and wow, you ran a fantastic race!  Too funny you had to use the "international sign for 'Look at all this road'".  That made me laugh.  Congrats on qualifying for NYC again as well as Boston!

Thanks!  It was actually a little scary, so I tried to make a joke of it.  Smile

Looking forward to next year!  (In fact, I was looking at the NYC Half in case I wanted to go back sooner.)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Thanks!  It was actually a little scary, so I tried to make a joke of it.  Smile

Looking forward to next year!  (In fact, I was looking at the NYC Half in case I wanted to go back sooner.)

Looks like you have to decide on the NYC Half pretty quickly!

Enter the drawing or claim your guaranteed entry for the 2019 United Airlines NYC Half by November 14. The drawing for general entry will take place on November 28.

I'm 0 for 3 for that race.  DNS due to injury, DNS due to family emergency, and didn't get accepted in drawing last time.  Fingers crossed this time.  I'm in the drawing.

3/17 - NYC Half

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wonderful RR with great pics!  Makes me really nostalgic!   Congratulations on a great race!

Julia1971

Looks like you have to decide on the NYC Half pretty quickly!

Enter the drawing or claim your guaranteed entry for the 2019 United Airlines NYC Half by November 14. The drawing for general entry will take place on November 28.

I'm 0 for 3 for that race.  DNS due to injury, DNS due to family emergency, and didn't get accepted in drawing last time.  Fingers crossed this time.  I'm in the drawing.

I'm hoping they mean I have until mid-night because I still haven't decided.  There are a couple of good half marathons in mid-March - here at home there's RnR DC and I could also drive down to Virginia Beach for Shamrock.  (Although, I think I could get to NYC faster than Virginia Beach because there isn't a direct route.)

I'm itching to start training again!  Thinking I might try a medium run this weekend.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Agreed with others, your race report was excellent! Thanks for sharing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

tomatolover

Now that’s what I call a race report!  Congrats on your super race- loved reading your decriptions of events!