Old Runner, new problems (Read 246 times)

Bangorme

I'm a 60 year old lifelong runner.  Not in a big way now, 15-20 miles a week.  Unfortunately, for the last five years I've developed some recurring problems that are really limiting me.

Now that I live out in the country (with no sidewalks or shoulders), I tend to run on a treadmill.  I've always be an over-pronator, but as I've gotten older my feet seem to be getting flatter.  The problem is that the pads on my feet (under the toe joints) swell, then eventually get very painful.  It's almost like I'm walking on a quarter inch of tissues!  Eventually, I've got to take a couple months off the get back to normal.   I've always run in Asics 2000 series shoes, but I think I need a change.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to stay with Asics if possible (for fit reasons), but would consider another brand.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but ...

I have flattish feet too, but I don't over-pronate.  And the balls of my feet tend to get sore when I'm doing higher mileage (for me).  I've found my solution in a neutral shoe with good forefoot cushioning, coupled with a structured insole.  Maybe something like, for example, the Nike Zoom Elite or Vomero?  For me, the Superfeet Blue insoles have provided what I was looking for (or what my feet were looking for, more accurately).

(No affiliation with any of the manufacturers or Running Warehouse.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Penguin Forever

It might also be worthwhile to consider metatarsal pads. Have you spoken to a doctor/podiatrist about the swelling?

Bangorme

I haven't talked to a doctor about this yet.  Wanted to see if a shoe change would help it.

run.87

I also have flat feet and occasionally have pressure/swelling (not really pain) in the ball of my right foot. I have had a fair amount of success doing physical therapy to strengthen my arches. You may want to consider talking to an athletic trainer and see if this is something they would recommend.

“Over level or steep, over smooth or rough, over dry or wet…run, run: always run.” 

Assume you are referring to your metatarsal region. The fleshy pad under one's metatarsal begins to thin at some point when get past 50.  So according to my math, you started to experience this in your mid-50's (which would be expected). Moleskin would be an inexpensive solution (and you can cut them to fit exactly where you need it). Wearing orthotics like SuperFeet also help. I would try icing the area after you run (if you buy one of those ice lunch pack bars they fit perfectly under your metatarsal).

Rob

Bangorme

I'm starting to see a pattern here.   The problem isn't shoes.  I'll try some of your ideas.  What kind of doctor would someone go to for foot problems.  I know podiatrists are "foot doctors," but are they really into sports medicine?

Yes, I am talking about the metatarsal area.

Kayakracer

Might be neuroma. Go to podiatrist to check out. I have it on both feet, pads help but only for a time.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I don't know if my experience will help you, but I have very bony feet with little padding.  On my longer runs I was getting a lot of ball of foot pain, and sometimes if I pushed off hard charging up a hill, I would get a popping sensation and the ball of my foot would swell up and it would feel like I was running with a marshmallow in my shoe (and it hurt).  A couple months ago I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's ball of foot orthotics.  They get placed BEHIND the ball of your foot and they spread your foot bones out so that the impact is not so concentrated.

The orthotics are kind of a pain to get positioned correctly, and it took me a couple runs to get that sorted out but since I have added them, I have ZERO ball of foot pain and I have not experienced the swelling either.  I even did a very hilly 10K trail race with no issues.  I run over 80 miles a week now, and the orthotics have really made that possible.  They only cost about $8 at Walmart, and there is a money back guarantee if they don't work out for you.

Leah, mother of dogs

Bangorme

I don't know if my experience will help you, but I have very bony feet with little padding.  On my longer runs I was getting a lot of ball of foot pain, and sometimes if I pushed off hard charging up a hill, I would get a popping sensation and the ball of my foot would swell up and it would feel like I was running with a marshmallow in my shoe (and it hurt).  A couple months ago I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's ball of foot orthotics.  They get placed BEHIND the ball of your foot and they spread your foot bones out so that the impact is not so concentrated.

The orthotics are kind of a pain to get positioned correctly, and it took me a couple runs to get that sorted out but since I have added them, I have ZERO ball of foot pain and I have not experienced the swelling either.  I even did a very hilly 10K trail race with no issues.  I run over 80 miles a week now, and the orthotics have really made that possible.  They only cost about $8 at Walmart, and there is a money back guarantee if they don't work out for you.

Tried these and will have to take them back.  The don't adhere to the shoe and move.  Do I put them under the insole????????

I thinking about trying Powerstep® ProTech Full Length.

You might try going to a podiatrist who understands running- I wear custom orthotics from a guy like that- different problem than you but it sure helped me.

sluggo

John

You might try going to a podiatrist who understands running- I wear custom orthotics from a guy like that- different problem than you but it sure helped me.

+1

I am 62, I wear orthotics for flat feet but the orthotics are old - so I am thinking of finding a podiatrist that specializes in sports preferably running issues. AND I am not having trouble.

I think you should check a podiatrist who understands running too.

John
                          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"