I accidentially ran 20 miles this morning and now I have to drive 4 hrs to Las Vegas (Read 712 times)

The subject says it all. Got lost on a run today, it wound up being 20 miles long. I did run 8 minutes, walk 1 for the first 14 miles then switched to run 5, walk 1. I feel...well...not great but not terrible. I've drank some chocolate milk, ate a banana and am about to jump in an ice bath. What else can I do so I'll feel in tip top shape for this drive? I plan on stopping every hour on the drive to walk/jog around a little. Thanks!!

How far did you intend to go? I don't envy you at all; I thankfully had somebody to drive me the two hours after the last time I got seriously lost (17 miler turned into a 28 miler). I think that you pretty much have it nailed. Just make sure you drink plenty of water on the drive to prevent your legs from cramping up, and make sure you stay awake at the wheel. That'll also help with the stopping to walk around and stretch bit when you need to make bathroom breaks. I'd also recommend plenty of snacks like nuts or pretzels to munch on during your trip.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Whoa! 17-->28 is intense! What went wrong? I planned to go 13-ish on the run today, which would have been okay w/ the run/walk method. I think my running buddy made a mistake calculating our route too. So that + getting lost = 20 miles!!! I couldn't believe it when I mapped it. Anyway, so far I did chocolate milk, banana, water, ice bath, shower, a few spoonfuls of peanut butter and an episode of the Simpsons on the couch (<--helped>:] Big grin hahahaha.</--helped>

Oh yeah and then as we were stretching outside my running buddy's house, we ran into my boyfriend's ex who commented that I looked really dirty. !!! I said, "Yeah...we've been running for 3 and a half hours" and felt really superior. Evil grin Big grin hahahaha.
          Nice!

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Junior Amphibian

You'll really feel the full weight of that mistake in 2 days.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

urbywann

Drive 4 hrs?? After a 20 mile run/walk? Take 3 blue advil liqual gels a bunch of water, map out the rest stops and head to VEGAS!! Enjoy!! Cool Big grin