Sub 4:00 Mile Training Advice (Read 121 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

wait a second; 4:00 mile thread, trash talking and genuine dislike, AG...are Ovett and Coe on here?!

Steve Ovett all the way!  I feel obliged to say that as I pass his statue on Brighton seafront during most of my runs. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

2 years since I ran with you there Mikkey.

We had a great time. So keen to come back one day.

Back to original topic

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Riman - your current plan is solid.

Walk/run is a great way to start.

You are starting to build a good habit.

Your number one priority will be to avoid injuries.

For that, you will have to slowly increase your training volume.

Make sure your rests are true rests.

Good sleep higiene with turning off any screens on your house (incl your phone) at least one hour before you go to sleep.

Do you have access (and funds) to hire a personal strength coach?

That would help you tremendously in avoiding running injuries and shedding the weight.

Just some strength sessions adapted to what you can do right now, with great on good form to avoid injuring your back.

I'd say to stay away from heavy weights, and just do body weight stuff for a long while.

Next: Diet

Diet is all about creating good habits and eliminating bad habits.

But they must be repeated until they become habits, like showering everyday and brushing your teeth 3x a day.

In order to create good habits, do not try to remove certain foods.

Instead add new healthy foods to your everyday.

Make a great banana and eggs pancake for breakfast.

Have baked potato chips for snacks.

Add a bit of spinach to your omelet.

When you add good things, over time you stop eating bad things simply because there's not enough space in your stomach.

I will wait for your feedback before going on to the next level.

Best of luck 💪 and congratulations on starting this long journey to improving yourself.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Riman643

Please don't discourage people - one thing I miss so much from old RWOL times is the threads like this, that makes forum much more interesting. Reading stuff from boring people like us is so boring.

It's okay. I don't mind people putting me down. It is the internet after all and given the failure last when I tried, the mockery is most likely justified.

Riman643

Riman - your current plan is solid.

Walk/run is a great way to start.

You are starting to build a good habit.

Your number one priority will be to avoid injuries.

For that, you will have to slowly increase your training volume.

Make sure your rests are true rests.

Good sleep higiene with turning off any screens on your house (incl your phone) at least one hour before you go to sleep.

Do you have access (and funds) to hire a personal strength coach?

That would help you tremendously in avoiding running injuries and shedding the weight.

Just some strength sessions adapted to what you can do right now, with great on good form to avoid injuring your back.

I'd say to stay away from heavy weights, and just do body weight stuff for a long while.

Next: Diet

Diet is all about creating good habits and eliminating bad habits.

But they must be repeated until they become habits, like showering everyday and brushing your teeth 3x a day.

In order to create good habits, do not try to remove certain foods.

Instead add new healthy foods to your everyday.

Make a great banana and eggs pancake for breakfast.

Have baked potato chips for snacks.

Add a bit of spinach to your omelet.

When you add good things, over time you stop eating bad things simply because there's not enough space in your stomach.

I will wait for your feedback before going on to the next level.

Best of luck 💪 and congratulations on starting this long journey to improving yourself.

Thanks for the advice! I have found that the slow incremental runs have been a good remedy for me to stay consistent. My knee is still bothering me a little though but for the most part it has only been an issue only when I stop running. Diet has not been very good but that just takes some determination and consistency. I appreciate the tips!

Riman643

UPDATE

Just finished week 9 of my training plan. This was the first week running 5 days in a week and overall went pretty well. I was on the verge of skipping today and yesterday but I manned up and did the runs. In total I walk/ran 25km and ran 9.18 km, with my longest run being 2.0 km. This is an improvement over last week when I walk/ran 20 km and ran only 5.85 km, with my longest run being 1.59 km. I have yet to break 50 minutes on my 5k walk/runs so hopefully next week I can break 50 minutes.

Diet and weight continue to be a struggle. I am still fluctuating between 235 and 240 lbs. This week I am going to be more intentional about what and how much I am eating and trying to snack less.

My right inner knee still has some issues but I believe it is getting better. It does not affect me while running which is good. last time I ran it would literally start locking my leg but now it only flairs up after I am done running and turn to walking. I think by continuing to slowly increment my running and maybe begin to stretch before and after my runs will probably help it further.

Hoping this upcoming week is also a success!