Wearing through shoes quickly (Read 120 times)

ndstoic44

I've been running for about a year now. I'm a very slow runner (lots of walking and jogging) and a heavier runner. I log about 15 miles a week, but will be increasing my mileage in the fall in order to train for my first 10K. I feel like I destroy shoes way too quickly. I always wear my shoes on the middle forefoot. I have absolutely no wear on the heels or outer portion of the shoe. I'm getting less than 200 miles out of each pair. I've even tried running on the shoes beyond the point where I notice significant wear, but when I do that I start having foot pain, shin splints, etc. The pain resolves when I finally swap out shoes. I went to fleet feet for a fitting and the person there thinks I'm just sensitive to wear in shoes. I tried on several pairs at the store and didn't like any of them. Any ideas? Is it my weight? Is there such thing as being very sensitive to wear on shoes? I've heard you should get at least 300 miles out of a pair, but this just isn't happening.

runmichigan

A few observations . . .

You have been running for about a year.  You stated that you do about 15 miles a week at a walk or a slow run.  I believe that your body is still getting used to running and this leads to your "sensitivity to shoe wear".  As your body continues to adapt to running you should become less prone to aches, pains, and injuries.

You indicate that you are a heavier runner.  This does increase the impact with each stride.  It will cause faster wear on the shoes and can make you feel aches and pains sooner.  There are shoe models designed for heavier runners.

i noticed you did not identify what model of shoe you run in and where you got them from.  If you bought them from a department store/big box store without guidance or proper fitting, they may not be the right shoe for you and that could contribute to your aches and pains and quick wear.

What surface do you typically run on?  Concrete sidewalks are less forgiving and will wear out the shoes faster.  Asphalt is more forgiving and will likely result in less wear.  Trails and grass are the most forgiving but are difficult for beginning runners because you have to more careful about where and how your foot lands.

It may be an issue with your running form.  If you are shuffling along you may be essentially scuffing your feet with each stride and wearing out the forefoot that much quicker.

i was a bit surprised that Fleet Feet could not fit you with any shoes that you felt good in.  Again it could be your running form or it could be the person you dealt with.  I would recommend trying another specialty running store or going back to Fleet Feet when a different person is there to help you.  They should be watching you run, looking at your current shoes, and asking questions about your running.  They should then provide you several pairs that you test run on a treadmill or for a short jaunt outside the store.

GinnyinPA

Different shoes have different lifetimes. I have had shoes start losing support at 300 miles and others that lasted 600 or more. I once had a pair that began falling apart in less than 50. You might want to try having more than one kind of shoe that you alternate. They wear out faster if you wear them every day.

an amazing likeness

Pick your damn fit up. Your mother and I are not buying you anymore new shoes because you're to darn lazy to stop scuffing along...cripes!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Blue Rocket

All systems Go!

I would support the shuffle/scuffing theory. One way to test this is the Master Kan method of running on rice paper -- like young "grasshopper" was taught to do on the Kung Fu TV series. If you can run on rice paper without tearing then your running mechanics are good and not the cause of your shoe wear.

Rice Paper Fail

Rice Paper Success

Master Kan: Quickly as you can, snatch the pebble from my hand.

[Young Caine tries to do so and fails]

Master Kan: When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

dubaitours

link spam