Google does not want you to donate to RunningAHEAD (Read 3025 times)

eric :)

I received the following email this morning from Google:

Hello Eric,

During our recent review, we found that the products or services on your
    website appear to violate the following Google Checkout content policies:

- Unacceptable product category: Fund Solicitation

As a result, your account has been suspended. You may not process any
    orders at this time. If applicable, any pending orders in your account
    have been canceled.

Please note, Google Checkout does not allow solicitation of funds (i.e.
    requests for donations) is restricted unless the organization is
    registered as tax exempt.

Your final payout will be initiated within two business days. However,
    your bank may take up to three additional business days to register the
    payout in your bank account. Please visit
    http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=8676 for
    more information on reviewing the details of your payouts in the Merchant
    Center.

If you choose to use Google Checkout for other products or services in
    compliance with our policies, please let us know so that we can review the
    status of your account.

Sincerely,

Radha
    The Google Checkout Team

I'm not sure what is the logic behind this policy.  I asked Google about it but they gave me generic reasons that don't explain much.  I treat the donations as income and pay taxes on them.  If the IRS is ok with it, why would Google (as a payment processing service) care?  I guess I'll be switching to PayPal.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Huh...that's lame.  Really, if people want to give you money for something they value, what's it to them?  It's not like you are selling some sort of quackery and making false claims.  People willingly donate.  There is no pressure.  Makes no sense at all...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Change the button to something besides "donate".  A big part of google's issue is in the label itself.

Just call it a subscription fee or something (I haven't thought much about this... but like how certain bands charge downloaders "whatever you are willing to pay" for their songs).

When a new user has a question about whether they have to pay, or when, or how much, make that easy-to-locate info here.

I do not know whether that will solve the issue, and maybe paypal is easier to deal with anyway, but I do know that's what got google's attention.

ymmv

I looked around at the terms of service and found this:

Seller may only use the Service to process a Payment Transaction for a Product that is purchased by a Buyer through a legitimate, bona fide sale of the Product.

The Service may not be used to process a Payment Transaction for Seller, or otherwise transfer money between a Buyer and Seller, that does not directly result from a Buyer's purchase of a Product

(It goes on to talk about other usage, like tax-exempt, non-profit entities.)

I wonder if the above focus on payment for Products has anything to do with potential auditing for sales tax.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why must a "product" be tangible?  Of all of the "products" I use for running, I could argue that RA is of the greatest value.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree it's short sited on Google's part, but like you said Paypal is an alternative.  Is there a significant fee difference between the two?

Why is it sideways?

Sounds evil to me.

#artbydmcbride

Maybe you could call it *paying a fine*  Smile

Runners run

mikeymike

Apple would never try and pull some bullshit like this--they are kind and benevolent.

I think you should move to iPay.

Runners run

Eric,

I like SRL's idea.  Another term you may want to use is "support."

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

dennrunner

It's probably easiest just to go with PayPal since it allows donations.  Otherwise, since Google Check Out has already been suspended, you'll have to convince someone at Google that you are selling a data product (service) where some people pay and some do not.

MTA:  typo

mark-bixler

PayPal is easy.  I use it for my eBay biz.  There are fee's associated with that, but if you are sending money from one account to another there may not be a fee.   One does not need a PayPal account to make a payment to someone that does.

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

AXes

It's probably about the same cost as eBay, but Amazon offers a similar service: Link Here

They have a Donations program too, but it requires 501(c) non-profit status like Google.

Do you know the feeling I know? When your legs have disappeared, and there is only your heart, your lungs, and your eyes skimming disembodied through the air? - Jeff

Half Fanatic #846

I treat the donations as income and pay taxes on them.  If the IRS is ok with it, why would Google (as a payment processing service) care?  I guess I'll be switching to PayPal.

So, please let us know when this is straightened out and I will: either donate, grant, bestow, support, provide, distribute, give, transfer, confer, impart, present, award, dispense, subsidize, contribute, hand out, dole out, hand over, deliver, shell out, fork over, or kick in - et al infinitum and ad nauseum...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

buzzardnblack

buzz

paypal works great for me please let me know when you change
                                <do all="" things="" without="" murmuring="" and="" complaining=""></do>