Find a Local Race (Read 124 times)

brucew

What source does everyone use to find local races?  I just discovered race-find.com which I like because you can search down to the town level, but I wonder how the database compares to active.com, runnersworld and some of the others.

Thanks

runningintheusa.com

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

GinnyinPA

Our local running clubs keep lists of most of the local races. They are on Facebook. Problem comes from ones that are a bit farther afield, but still within commuting distance, especially since there are 3 states within an easy drive.

brucew

runningintheusa.com

I tried runningintheusa but race-find.com seemed to have more races listed (in my area anyway).  Just curious if there was a gold standard.

brucew

Our local running clubs keep lists of most of the local races. They are on Facebook. Problem comes from ones that are a bit farther afield, but still within commuting distance, especially since there are 3 states within an easy drive.

Running clubs are a good place to look.  Thanks

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

There are lots of smaller sites out there, many of them dedicated to a specific geographical region (often run by race timing services). If there is one for your area it could be a good resource.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Echoing bobinpittsburgh I use several local racing sites. I'm on their email lists so I get notified even about first time races in the area. Going outside my area I use runningintheusa and ultrasignup the most.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

brucew

There are lots of smaller sites out there, many of them dedicated to a specific geographical region (often run by race timing services). If there is one for your area it could be a good resource.

Thanks, you're right, there are a lot of smaller sites out there, but an aggregator would be best.  So far I think www.race-find.com has had the most comprehensive list.

This was spam all along, wasn't it? Sigh.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    rlopez

runningintheusa *is* the gold standard these days. Their site is slow and creaky, but it has a lot of stuff of all kinds of different distances.

race-find is ok... I'm still learning about it. It is fast and the interface is clean. But some aspects don't play well with chrome, the data aren't as complete as runningintheusa, and it makes some interesting choices regarding where something is. For example, when looking at 100 milers, I was very surprised to find one near me that I've never heard of... the Speedway 100. The reason why I've never heard of it is because it is a relay event, not an actual 100 mile ultra (as it shows up in the listing). I have stumbled across a few things like that.  But it IS a very fast site and like that very much.

There are also bibrave and raceraves for halves and fulls. They are trying to be better than marathonguide (especially with race reviews) and extending the idea to halves.

For ultras, most people start with ultrasignup and ultrarunning.com.

race-find just launched in October. Are you associated with the site? Just your wording makes it seem so. I tried to figure out who's who for that site and what I absolutely detest about it is that they/it/whoever doesn't make this information accessible. There's a 'contact us' form but absolutely no information about who owns this site and why. The facebook page wasn't too forthcoming either. That's not cool.

#artbydmcbride

RaceRaves.com

https://raceraves.com/

Runners run

Re-Run

Misinformation Officer

RunningIntheUSA

Roadracerunner

running dot net

nacho spam post

Runs like a dj mixing songs while wearing festive outfits.
                          5k PR 5/31/21 24:21 

10k PR 5/23 54:43

HM PR 1/2024 1:59:10

Hoban-Jay

This was spam all along, wasn't it? Sigh.

Yup...spam!