Speaking of budgeting.... (Read 850 times)

vegefrog

I make coffee at home, drink it on the way to work. That's the only coffee I drink all day, but if I did want more we have free coffee upstairs with all kinds of flavor cup things that would do I guess.

Buying lunch out every day is just unfathomable to me. It's leftovers, wraps, baked potato or homemade salads for me. It's just so easy...

Or course I work in Charleston, SC not exactly a huge metropolis.  I could see how if I worked downtown Manhattan I might be more tempted to go out and grab some street food or eat @ a deli. Also since there is Starbucks on every corner there, I might be more tempted to try the coffee of the season or special drink of the day.

NOW...if I quit drinking beer...that would be a giant increase in savings...but who wants to do that?!? ( not drinking beer at work obviously Wink)

kcam

Coffee and tea are the ONLY free things my company provides - afterall, those are productivity enhancers.  Never, ever go out at lunch to eat as I prefer to spend that time running.  I'm typing this as I eat my sandwich at my desk.  Just got done with a nice, easy 5 miler.

an amazing likeness

It's worth $7/day for me to get a sandwich at one of the local sandwich places which employee people (secondary) and have 20 good and tasty options (primary) to select from versus the 3 options in my fridge. I guess the key is that I actively make that decision, knowing that it means I'm spending $20-30/week.

To each their own...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

I have an insulated travel mug and a $10 WalMart briefcase thermos...hot coffee all day.  But if I get past 3 cups I eat a hole in my stomach anyways.

I put 2 dashes cinnamon and one of cayenne  in the filter per pot.  Kid you not, so much easier on the stomach and I am totally addicted.  Was a bit surprising the first time, now I really miss it when I am elsewhere. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

Never, ever go out at lunch to eat as I prefer to spend that time running.  I'm typing this as I eat my sandwich at my desk.  

Yup....my evenings have been getting more and more squeezed so I've started doing the same a time or two a week.  Other times I work through lunch so I can leave earlier to get home and run.

Ennay, thanks, I'll have to try that with the coffee.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Never, ever go out at lunch to eat as I prefer to spend that time running.  I'm typing this as I eat my sandwich at my desk.  Just got done with a nice, easy 5 miler.

I do this myself, the more I'm doing it, the better I'm training.

bigkenny

Runners are cheap. We have to be what with having to buy $100 shoes every couple of months.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I like eating lunch out every day.  I like the variety and to buy something based on how I feel that moment, rather than based on what I had in the house.  

I have breakfast with my wife every morning at a little French cafe across from our apartment (generally $15, with tip). We both have coffee and croissants (which is probably why I'm no longer race weight).

I'd pay 10x what I currently do to keep doing that.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My company provides coffee, but I don't drink it.  Should I get compensated for being a cheaper employee?

ultramarathon/triathlete

My company provides coffee, but I don't drink it.  Should I get compensated for being a cheaper employee?

My company does too, and I sometimes have that, but it's nasty. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

L Train

I like eating lunch out every day.  I like the variety and to buy something based on how I feel that moment, rather than based on what I had in the house.  

I have breakfast with my wife every morning at a little French cafe across from our apartment (generally $15, with tip). We both have coffee and croissants (which is probably why I'm no longer race weight).

I'd pay 10x what I currently do to keep doing that.

You'd be willing to pay $55,000/year for coffee and croissants?

an amazing likeness

You know....my company does the same -- free coffee, hot chocolate and fixins.  Soda's are charged (but reasonable).  And there are actually a few folks here who ask that exact question of HR. You'd think they were still in 6th grade.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

My gosh, where do you people work that you get such perks like that?

I'm not sure I'd pay $55K (my wife and I are too cheap to pay $15/day even) but dedicated time with my wife on a daily basis would be worth a pretty penny to me too.  Especially if it did not include screaming kids complaining that their sister hit them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, we get free hot chocolate, which I drink a few times a year.  I think of it as a liquid candy bar.

We also get subsidized lunches 3x/week.  $3.00 for employees.   Cheap, but bringing my own would be cheaper.

My gosh, where do you people work that you get such perks like that?

I'm guessing that you're less than fully serious... Maybe not.  I'm actually surprised that coffee isn't free in all work environments.

I've had only 1 occasion that I recall where I've gone to work where I couldn't find a coffee.  My day was miserable, and that business trip was never repeated, nor will it ever be repeated as long as I can help it.

Time for a fill up now....

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life