How should I be logging my runs? (Read 2785 times)

xor

Quote from monnsqueak on 3/16/2011 at 1:45 PM:

Hehe it *is* fun to play around a bit with how you name your runs. My race runs are called "Race Zoom Zoom!" (yes, with the exclamation mark)

Does Zoomy know she has an archrival down under?

Robert joke!

hamx5ter

Where do I change the categories for the runs? I need something slower than Easy.. Blush

I've looked around the settings / options, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change them.

an amazing likeness

Where do I change the categories for the runs? I need something slower than Easy.. Blush

I've looked around the settings / options, but there doesn't seem to be a way to change them.

Hamx5ter -- check under Training Log -> Settings -> Manage My Activities.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

hamx5ter

Thanks MilkTruck... didn't think to click on the labels to see if they were links Blush how embarrassment...

uncontrollable

Well, maybe just log your miles & total time for 6-8 weeks & run by feel THEN start adding labels???  Just a thought.  Takes some pressure off & gives a reasonable time frame to improve fitness base!  

peace

I think if you're willing to post pictures of yourself running in lingerie you can log the runs as 'easy'. Anything else should be logged as 'hard to get'. That's just me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Does Zoomy know she has an archrival down under?

Ha, how did I miss this the first time around?!  Crap, is monnsqueak faster than I?  I'd better kick things up a notch! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yes, since it's your log it's pretty much up to you how to categorize your runs, whatever makes sense. For me that's my various "workout" runs, like tempos, reps, intervals, fartlek, etc; then easy runs are basically general aerobic runs at a very comfortable, conversational pace. Recovery days are super slow runs, almost awkwardly slow, used for recovery is I'm really feeling wiped. 

People do it in many ways, and it pretty much comes down to what makes sense for you and lets you get effective use out of the log in what way you intend to use it. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I started out doing the same thing.  The next thing I added was the "Long Run" which has morphed slightly as what I originally considered "long" seems quite ordinary now.  Either way, a long run is any run where I deliberately increase my mileage to something that is higher than what I'm running the rest of the week.  When I joined a running group, I added "Group Run" to the mix and that could be easy or hard depending on who I'm running with.

For me, an "easy" run is any run that I complete at what feels like a natural and reasonable pace.  Sometimes they feel great and other times lousy.  I also think of them as runs with nothing particularly distinctive about them..... no group, no bridges, no deliberate increase in speed or mileage.  Just miles.

Whatever way you look at it, your log has to work for you so you can make it anything you want.  I can empathize with the heat....I'm in north Florida!

I re-named all my workouts after songs on a CD that I happened to be listening to at the time.  It was late, I was tired, and it made sense then.

There's something about calling a tempo run a "War Machine" that makes me more okay with doing them, despite it being the same damned thing.

Of course, I may be a bad example, as I neither have nor want a training plan and just do what feels natural.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

ZZCaptainObvious

As long as you're consistent, anything works. I know a few people who have warm up/cool down as a separate category and also have easy, long, and MLR (medium long) categories. But anything will work. And good luck in your upcoming 5K!

Feeling the growl again

My question is this. I've been categorizing most of my runs as "easy" on my training log because that's the default setting. These runs don't feel "easy" to me... I mean, I usually don't feel like ralphing afterward but I do feel that I've pushed myself at the end of the day.

Customize your log to record the runs in whatever format works best for you...doesn't matter a lot.  Stalk a few people for ideas.

Now, for someone just getting back into running I will not leap to the assumption that you are running all of your runs too hard, as when you are first getting back into it everything can feel difficult.  However, if a month or so from now you are still feeling that way I will bet you are pushing yourself too hard.  "No pain no gain" is actually a myth, when it comes to the bulk of your running.  After awhile, you should indeed be doing most of your running at an easy pace.  When you make the comment "improve my pace week to week" it makes me think you are tracking your progress by pushing yourself on most every run so you can see yourself getting faster and faster.  This is actually counter-productive.  Sure, do a tempo run every week and see THAT get faster, but most of your runs should feel easy and you can more or less disregard the pace.  Sure, over the months this pace will naturally get faster, but you should not index on that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I re-named all my workouts after songs on a CD that I happened to be listening to at the time.  It was late, I was tired, and it made sense then.

There's something about calling a tempo run a "War Machine" that makes me more okay with doing them, despite it being the same damned thing.

Of course, I may be a bad example, as I neither have nor want a training plan and just do what feels natural.

whats a cd?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just name my runs after beer.

I thought those were your kids names.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

whats a cd?

Okay, technically, "MP3 Album," I guess.  That just...doesn't sound right to me.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek