2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - did I understand correctly?  That's 3 miles and then 2x2 at 10K pace?  That sounds brutal to me.  Yikes.

Dad - I've experienced that feeling.

CK - sounds like good timing for a bug.  Get your immune system all primed before hitting training.  And yeah, 15 miles straight at MP sounds challenging.  My coach never lets us do more than 10 miles at MP in any one long run (I'd personally like to try 3x4 miles).

Hills for me this morning.  Same circuit as last Friday - up for about 2 minutes, very slow for about 2 minutes, downhill stride for 30-ish seconds, and then another minute very slow to the starting point.  Ran this one solo, so could really crawl the easy segments and hammer the hard ones.  Paces supposedly were between 6:51 and 6:06 on the uphill (faster each time) and 5:10-4:51 on the downhill stride (which was also tailwind assisted).  It's really fun to run that fast for 30 seconds.

[I was jogging *really slowly* on the recoveries]

Warm-up was 3 miles at 8:59; cooldown was another 3 miles at 9:54 to give me 10 for the day (downhill tailwind jog there and an uphill headwind log home).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - did I understand correctly?  That's 3 miles and then 2x2 at 10K pace?  That sounds brutal to me.  

Yes. It was. Goal pace is about 10 seconds slower. I created a window of 6:50-7:00 (10k is 6:47) when I started the plan based off JD coaching VDOT value of 49 which calls for 6:56/mi so it’s closer to 12-15k pace. The 1 minute rest between the 2 mile repeats was SO SHORT and I ended up running the last two miles 100% on feel/heart rate and wouldn’t let myself quit. Ended up 6:54 for the first three, then the first two mile repeat. Last was 7:05. Heart rate was 170-174 for the last mile or so.

I think I remember max saying something about this plan is the elite plan with shorter miles or something. I feel fine now an hour and a half or more later but that last mile was ALL not quitting. I also tried to focus on letting my legs PUSH me forward which may have helped not die for the last two miles.

grabbed some early morning miles. I’m impressed I could do them after yesterday but I focused more on my stride (leg kicking) and started a “cool down” for the last mile just for the sake of having some slower miles. I almost feel like this training has increased my slow paces a lot more than my fast paces.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- you go from reno to donner lake for workouts??? omg far

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

As long as he's not going for the buffet.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

This desperately requires a "LIKE" button!

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- you go from reno to donner lake for workouts??? omg far

*clears throat* I drove 70 minutes for a 12 mile run. You drove 70 minutes for a 3 mile run. Which is the OMG?

It was 100 leaving downtown and 85 in Donner. I’m not doing crazy things like running in 100 degrees. I’m not max but I DID skip out on buying beer from New Moon Grocers. Closest I can get the “California Only” distribution. Unless you want to bring some next Lake Tahoe trip. 😉

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

👍

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

*clears throat* I drove 70 minutes for a 12 mile run. You drove 70 minutes for a 3 mile run. Which is the OMG?

Lol, I think race travel and workout travel are in different categories. Plus, *I* didn't drive :P 
                  And I hit up the airport on the way back, so stopped 20mi short of home

I did admit that was way too far for a 5k and I'm never doing that again, haha.

How is running in Truckee? I realize I've never stopped there, only passed through.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Lol, I think race travel and workout travel are in different categories. Plus, *I* didn't drive :P 
                    And I hit up the airport on the way back, so stopped 20mi short of home

I did admit that was way too far for a 5k and I'm never doing that again, haha.

How is running in Truckee? I realize I've never stopped there, only passed through.

Honestly...didn't notice MUCH of a difference. I'm sure the elevation with cooler temps was comparable to 100F and 1,500 feet lower. Around the lake is a bike lane that's doubles as a pedestrian walkway. At the far West end (nice beach, day use fee) the walkway disappears but I've run the entire loop (10k) and it's safe. The South end has a hill but when you come down you're in Donner Memorial State Park (where I camped) and it's a "dirt" path/walkway for about 2 miles until you're at the entrance. Plenty of parking on the side of the road leading into Donner lake. It's a nice lake and usually has a breeze. There is also the Truckee River Legacy Trail. It's supposed to be 6 paved miles but I've never run the whole thing and I HAVE run Donner before as a training run for Tough Mudder in 2013 (sub 1:55 HM training run!). The South side doesn't offer TOO many views of the lake but the other three sides do.

Wasn't this the SECOND time you did that firecracker 5K? The "Running Shop and Hops" (no more running shop) is right by the last turn to the finish line. Could have swung by and grabbed a barley soda.

Side note: have you ever considered doing the RAGNAR run up here? I kind of want to but haven't found a team to do it FOR FUN (beer) with an open spot. I don't want to do it with the 12:00/mi flat road course crew because I'd feel like a jerk going out fast.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA. I had a short vacation and then an unexpected funeral to attend, so I've been out of town for a while. On top of that, my lingering shoulder injury is much worse and my running has suffered as a result. Never fear...I'll be back.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Honestly...didn't notice MUCH of a difference. I'm sure the elevation with cooler temps was comparable to 100F and 1,500 feet lower.

Aside - I just belatedly realized that Reno is at elevation.  That was probably a huge help for CIM, and will also be for Chicago (not to jinx you).

SC - Sad on the worsening shoulder.

upper body weights, core, and 8 "miles" pool-running.  My normal pool-running buddy had to skip, but then I ended up making new friends and the time passed quickly anyway.  So woo.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Aside - I just belatedly realized that Reno is at elevation.  That was probably a huge help for CIM, and will also be for Chicago (not to jinx you).

SC - Sad on the worsening shoulder.

upper body weights, core, and 8 "miles" pool-running.  My normal pool-running buddy had to skip, but then I ended up making new friends and the time passed quickly anyway.  So woo.

It might have helped me go from a 3:20 goal to a 3:15 the week before the race and pull out a 3:12 to get in to Chicago. This time...a little nervous because as you know the weather at both can be drastically different.

EDIT: Corral B for Chicago.

VDOT 53.37 

oregonrw

Happy Friday! I still have a few more hours at work -- most of you are probably finished for the day and enjoying your weekend.

DW: I'm curious how you are able to do your cool downs and easy runs at such an easy pace. I have a hard time running much over 9:10, though clearly I need to (I should be recovering more slowly than you do).  Is it something you work on?

Pepperjack:  HA! on the buffet answer.

RLK:  Glad you had a good trip to Colorado!

It's gotten really hot here the last day or so, so yesterday I opted to do my 800s workout on the treadmill.  It's in my garage, so not a huge difference but at least it wasn't in the sun. 7 miles with 5x800.  Today I'm taking the day off, will do something longer tomorrow, shorter Sunday.  I should end up around 40-45 miles for this week.

Alistair2466

I have the Hudson Mohawk Marathon in 12 weeks. So for the last 3-4 weeks I have been working hard to get back in shape after 8 months off with two bad achilles. Ankles are still not 100% but a runner just has to run.

The heat and humidity is brutal here in New York.

Mon - Cycling/Rowing

Tue - 10m (8:46 pace)

wed - 5m (8:36 pace)

Thu - 5m ( 8:50 pace), 3m (7:50 pace), 2m (8:30 pace)

Fri - REST

Sat - 15m (8:55 pace)

Sun - 6m (8:15 pace)

Total weekly mileage = 46 miles

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hard workout today. 1m warm up, 8@ 7:17, 1m Easy, 6 @ 7:17 cut short to 3. It was either not waiting long enough after eating breakfast (3 eggs, maybe 20-30 minutes) or the heat and lack of having anything but water with me. Heart rate at the end was 168 which is marathon effort but I felt like it would only get worse for another 3. Either JD2Q is pretty elite or I’m still in need of a lot of work to get to the goal. 11 at GMP + 10 seconds is something Hanson’s did the month or two before a marathon. This is about 3 months and I think the longest I’ve gone for GMP in training. Either way I’m cutting out beer. I was 162 after the run in just shorts down from about 170 when training started.

VDOT 53.37