Pace Calculator Feature (Read 780 times)

Hey Eric, On the Pace Calculator tool, it would be cool if you could specify if you wanted to run negative, even, or positive splits. It really helps to train for negatives if you can quickly get the desired split times for all your saved courses. I'm not sure on your feelings about posting links to other sites, but if you would like, I do know of another site that has something like this on their calcuator. Thanks for the site! Big grin
    eric :)

Hi Seacow, I feel somewhat awkward addressing you as that, but that was what you choice. What the way, isn't the manatee also referred to as sea cow? I have mixed feelings about listing negative splits mostly due to the possibility of unrealistic expectations. I don't mind you posting links to other sites so long as they're relevant to the topic. Users do it all the time. If you don't want to post it here, you can send it to me via the feedback form. Maybe other users can chime in too regarding this. It would be cooler to have terrain adjusted splits but that's beyond my running knowledge right now.
        I certainly see your point of people setting themselves up for unrealistic run times. I've only started running again as an old man in the last year or so, but in the past I would print out a little cheat sheet to take with me on races mostly to keep myself slowed down early with the goal of running negatives. Here is the calculator I have been using lately for them, if you or anyone else are interested in it. http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/splits.php In regards to the screenname, it is indeed in reference to the manatee, the noble prince of the sea. If everyone got the chance to watch them shovel heads of lettuce into their oversized mouths with their undersized flippers, the world would be a better (or at least more humerous) place. Yes

Prophet!

More on the calculator..would it be possible to put a link in the Training Log tools, every time i want to use the calculator it takes a while to load the page (from loading the map i imagine) before i can get to the calculator... Aloha, steve

You're right. It is a little hard to get to. I'll hvae it added.

I certainly see your point of people setting themselves up for unrealistic run times. I've only started running again as an old man in the last year or so, but in the past I would print out a little cheat sheet to take with me on races mostly to keep myself slowed down early with the goal of running negatives. Here is the calculator I have been using lately for them, if you or anyone else are interested in it. http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/splits.php In regards to the screenname, it is indeed in reference to the manatee, the noble prince of the sea. If everyone got the chance to watch them shovel heads of lettuce into their oversized mouths with their undersized flippers, the world would be a better (or at least more humerous) place. Yes
              The concept of pacing to negative splits is certainly interesting. However, as the site has it now, it isn't all that useful. I wonder if it would be better if you can specify your pace at certain locations and the software would work with it. It might also be useful to allow you specify the range of change (constant gradual change, or a parabolic/logarithmic change).