Ravenswood Run 5k Race Report (Read 553 times)

trojancinephile

So this is my first race report on here and my first race of 2008. I got up at 6:30, and out the door 45 minutes later, as planned. Unfortunately, I didn't plan on the bus driving past my front door as soon as I stepped out! After 15 minutes of waiting and not seeing one of the two busses I could have taken coming down the street, I hailed down a cab. Gear check and chip pickup were easy. I jogged for about 5 minutes and stretched before heading to line up. On the way, I saw a table of barely green bananas (my favorites) and because I was starving, I took one and ate it. In the back of my mind, I thought nothing new on race day, but ignored my better judgment. I lined up near the back of the 9 minute pace group, and after a prayer by the reverend/minister of the local church that sponsored the race in part and the playing of the star spangled banner, we were off. It's always anti-climactic to start walking towards the start line after the gun, but until I can run many 7 minute miles in succession, I'll have to deal. Cool The course was as promised, fast and flat. The first mile went by quickly, and even with the crowded start, I finished it on schedule in 9:45. The second mile, I started to have trouble about 2 minutes in. I felt that banana I ate. I allowed myself to slow down a little, knowing that I wouldn't make my goal of 29:59 if I did, and probably wouldn't even get a PR. But if I didn't slow down, I would DNF. At the water stop at 1.5 (that's at least where the race packet said it would be), my watch said I was at 5:56. I was disappointed. We ran through the Ravenswood neighborhood: it had a lot of cute houses, a couple pretty churches, and a few spectators, holding signs (Run Mommies Run!, Congrats Sam and Kara!). The signs really helped me through, especially with the banana churning in my stomach -- while this race, for me, is just a dress rehearsal for my half marathon, for many others it is the culmination of lots of hard work and sweat and forcing themselves out the door -- and I needed to stop thinking about how gross the banana felt in my stomach and pull my head up and finish the race with dignity -- just 3.1 miles to me is holy crap 3.1 miles to a lot of other people. So I pulled my head up and sped up a little, hoping to salvage my race and finish with my head held high. That was a good move -- the water stop was past mile 1.5. Even with my slowing down, I finished the second mile in 9:56. I was ecstatic -- I missed my ultimate goal, but a PR was within reach. And I hadn't slowed down as much as I had thought! The third mile was torture. My stomach was churning with banana. The last half mile of the race was a straightaway on flat ground and you could see the finish line the entire way. I sped up as soon as I rounded that corner, but immediately realized my mistake. I slowed down to as fast as I could comfortably go and counted down the minutes, assuming it was going to be a stretch to PR. I ran my third mile in 9:57! It had felt like so much slower. My last .1 of a mile, I knew I had a PR, so I gunned it to the finish. When I crossed the finish line, I stopped my watch, moved out of the way as quickly as possible, and leaned onto a railing to quell the urge to puke. I felt my stomach contract in time with my heartbeat. Luckily for me, I didn't (although I thought, if I did, I don't know anyone who could catch it on video for YouTube, so it would make it doubly unfortunate). After I grabbed a water bottle and sat down, I finally looked at my watch to see my time. 30:33! A PR by 1 minute 27 seconds! A perfect day for a run and a PR even with that horrible banana. Next time, I'll keep shooting for 29:59.
    Jill_B

I fly.

Great job!

Bring it on.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Great PR! Never had that much trouble with a banana, but usually I do burp banana for a couple miles. Usually I stay away from them.

Bugs

You were very lucky. I would have had to stop and poop in the pretty church. Great work.

Bugs

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Congratulations! That's a big PR for a 5k! Sub 30 is around the corner. I've run the race for years, this year they reversed the course and added the seeding markers at the start. It's still the best 5k in town. In fact it's the only 5k on the CARA circuit that's actually within the Chicago city limits, all the others are in the burbs. Note that eating anything that close to the race would have caused problems. If I find myself hungry, I have some water and a little sports drink to take the edge off. Still, good job on hanging on in there and finishing strong!

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

jeffdonahue

Great run and way to stick it out through those stomach problems - and you learned a valuable lesson. That rule about nothing new on race day is there for a reason - not that we all havent broken it at one time or another. Big grin