Thinking of taking the plunge... (Read 1134 times)

Fool

Well... I just went and ran the Breakheart portion of the course. I think I'm going to give it a shot. First time I've run more than a mile outside since 1990. The moving scenery and gentle breeze were a refreshing alternative to staring at the basement wall. I've also discovered I have NO idea what my speed is without an LED display hovering in front of me. Roll eyes I felt like I was moving slow, but the time flew by and I wound up finishing much quicker than it 'felt' like I would. I ran the outer-loop and a bit of the parking lot (~3 miles) in 26 minutes, returning red and somewhat winded, but feeling I could have gone a bit more. Knees are a bit creakier than usual, but not bad. Assuming they don't act up tomorrow, I'm in for Saturday's race. Thanks for the advice everyone, particularly Jeff for pointing out that this was not a flat course. The first series of hills would have been quite the surprise if I still believed what I had read.
      Hey man, Have fun. It's a pretty fun course and I run it here and there on training runs. Go out slow and ease into. Good luck.

Member Since 2008

Just do it, you'll have fun.

skinnycaponesugar

You should definitely do it! I ran my first 5K right after finishing C25K. I was shocked to find the course was hilly, but I was already on it. At least you're finding out beforehand Big grin Good luck and post your report, we (I) love reports! Cool

Love, Run, Sleep

jeffdonahue

Thanks for the advice everyone, particularly Jeff for pointing out that this was not a flat course. The first series of hills would have been quite the surprise if I still believed what I had read.
            No problem - have a great race. And be sure to check the raffle table when you get back because last time I ran it I ended up winning a prize adn wouldnt have even known it if my parents hadnt happened to walk past the table and see my race number there.
            jeffdonahue

Hey man, Have fun. It's a pretty fun course and I run it here and there on training runs. Go out slow and ease into. Good luck.
              Hey, another Melrose man - I cant see your face in your picture so I cant tell if I recognize you from aroudn town. Do you run the run for EMARC at the Victorian Fair in September?
              jeffdonahue

Hey Russ, Assuming this is you 60 30:32 8:12 14 18-39 46 M 92 Russ Fisk Malden,MA Nice Job!!!! Hope you had fun Jeff

Fool

Thanks, Jeff. I had a BLAST. As promised, Race Report is up here - http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/6c7b6f54d60a44a4886f976a7a6b3a42#focus Thanks for all the advice and support! Big grin
                    Thanks, McRat! VERY inspiring post and comments indeed! I am pretty much in the same position as you: completed C25K, been running in the treadmill for a while (not doing so many miles as you though), and now the weather is getting a bit better I am thinking of getting outside and run. However, I only run with an incline of 1.5% so I think I'll find it tougher than you... After some weeks off I am starting over again, will try to complete a 12-week plan from Cool Running and well, hit the road (or the park) some weekend! Hope I'll have such a good time as you did!
                    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41