Apple Watch to RA (Read 351 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I may be getting a Apple Watch. I currently use a garmin and after a run it just connects to garmin connect and the workout automagically shows up on RA's "Imported Workouts" icon, it's very hassle-free. What is the most efficient way to log a run via Apple Watch and transfer the workout data to RA? I don't have a lot of requirements on apps (free or paid), as long as it logs essential running data (GPS, HR, pace, splits) and can get them to RA painlessly.

Thanks!

fb-guy

I have the same question. I'm moving from a Garmin 310xt to Apple Watch and have years of data logged on RA.

Any advice?

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

I switched from a Garmin to an Apple watch too.  You can download lots of different running apps to your Apple watch.  I use the Map My Run app on my Apple watch.   That automatically downloads my runs to Map My Run, there's really no apps you can use on your Apple watch that will download to Running Ahead.  The Running Forth app does download directly to Running Ahead but you can't install it on your Apple watch.  So I use the Run Forth app on my Smartphone too while running.  Although Run Forth doesn't have an auto pause on it, which is hard to believe in this day and age. 

kkittenkat

English Villian

I have a slight hijack thread question (sorry) for those of you with an apple watch. I've got one but have never been able to make the Nike app measure distance.

What do you think the problem is?

I've been lazy and not looked into it (other than contacting Apple who said it's Nike's problem) because I've got a Garmin 220 still.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have a slight hijack thread question (sorry) for those of you with an apple watch. I've got one but have never been able to make the Nike app measure distance.

What do you think the problem is?

I've been lazy and not looked into it (other than contacting Apple who said it's Nike's problem) because I've got a Garmin 220 still.

I have the AW3 with LTE service and I just use the native Eorkout app. I’ve read that the Nike app is a bit glitchy so I won’t use it. I do have Runkeeper downloaded as a backup but I really just like the simple app that came on the watch.

You dont wear it over a sleeve by chance do you? I’ve also read that if you wear the watch over a tattoo or over a sleeve it doesn’t record accurately. I know it’s unlikely but figured I would throw that out there.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

RichardR

With respect to the OP's question...

I'm not an Apple user, but I have friends who are, and wanted to share logs.  I could not find a clean way to get from an apple watch to Garmin Connect.  Obviously, garmin Connect is the easiest link to RA.

A sync to MapMyRun system would work, but requires downloading each run to one's computer, and then uploading that file to RA or to Garmin Connect.

Again, an auto-sync, I could not find.

kkittenkat

English Villian

I have the AW3 with LTE service and I just use the native Eorkout app. I’ve read that the Nike app is a bit glitchy so I won’t use it. I do have Runkeeper downloaded as a backup but I really just like the simple app that came on the watch.

You dont wear it over a sleeve by chance do you? I’ve also read that if you wear the watch over a tattoo or over a sleeve it doesn’t record accurately. I know it’s unlikely but figured I would throw that out there.

I don't wear it over a sleeve, but the HRM is a bit hit and miss. Which I guess it would be from a sensor on the wrist.

I need to explore the native workout app, I haven't really used that either! What I do use are bluetooth headphones for music when I got out for a run. no need to take my phone. I like that option

fb-guy

As a follow up on this thread, I got an Apple Watch 3 and like it. It's light and it plays music over bluetooth ear buds. I'm going to try the Podcast app next. I have decided to use RunKeeper as the watch app. The watch screens are OK and the auto upload works. Then I download the Runkeeper .zip to my computer and upload the file to Running Ahead. It isn't too much of a hassle and it seems to work. I will probably do the upload once a week or so.

This way I can keep using RA and I can access my 9+ years of historical data without worrying about exporting it somewhere else.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

an amazing likeness

You might want to check out the iOS app RunGap. Talking with someone in the office who has Apple Watch3 -- they use RunGap to sync a-watch workouts to Garmin Connect.  If a workout goes to Garmin Connect, it will auto-sync to RunningAhead.

This is word-of-mouth only, no direct experience on my part.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I also had this question a while back and posted in support.

A little follow-up with my AW3.  I've used a mix of the built-in app, the Nike+, and Strava.  I settled on Strava because the workouts can be exported as .gpx files and imported into RA.  Apple Workout and Nike+ are locked down, Milktruck's suggestion possibly notwithstanding.

Now Strava is supposed to be syncing with Garmin Connect, which would be just the bridge I need.  But I haven't gotten it to work yet.

As far as the watch itself, I do love having music and communication (only as needed) but without having to lug my phone around.  It's fine for easy runs.  I feel like when it comes time to race or do some interval training, I'll go with my Garmin 235.  I still don't completely trust the touch screen completely, although it's reliable most of the time.  But for racing, I really want buttons and always-on display.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think the next Apple Watch is forthcoming in a few days. I’ll be interested to see if more/better syncing solutions might be available. I’m pretty underwhelmed by my <1 year old Garmin Vivoactive HR.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Derek Murr

I have the new Series 4 Apple Watch. I've been using an app called iSmoothRun, which is probably one of the worst app names I've ever heard, but it's a fairly solid app. You can program interval workouts on the iPhone app and then sync them to the watch, which tracks all the usual stuff – pace, distance, HR, cadence. Automatically syncs back to a log afterwards which lives on your iPhone. You can then sync that log to a ton of different services, including Garmin Connect, which I have set to automatically sync to RA. It's not automatic – you have to tap a button or two – but it's one pretty painless step, and the best solution I've found so far. I also like that this app doesn't lock your data up inside it's own proprietary domain, unlike Nike+ or the native Apple Workouts.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Derek, that sounds fantastic! I hope I get an Apple Watch for Christmas!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So...I got the Apple Watch. Not for Christmas, but as an anniversary gift (3 days after Christmas).

Finally did an outdoor run with iSmoothRun. It kinda worked...for some reason it only recorded 1.48 miles of a known 2 mile route. And claimed that I was running at least min/mi. faster than I have in years. No evidence of a map, though uploading to Garmin was easy and it transferred to RA seamlessly. Am I missing some setting(s) to improve accuracy and provide mapping?

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Interesting...so I just noticed that the run was logged as a treadmill workout. In poking around I discovered that on my iphone Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Fitness Tracking was set to off...but I'm not sure that's related to GPS or my watch. I turned it on, to see if that makes any difference, next run. I also noticed my phone defaults to "treadmill run." Do I need to use the phone to instruct the watch to record using GPS (seems like a backasswards way of doing things)?

~ Sarah Kay