Half Marathon Two Weeks Before Marathon? (Read 762 times)

sathomasga

I'm having trouble setting goal/pacing for my first marathon coming up in February. One thought is to run a half marathon before the marathon and use a race equivalent calculation to set a marathon goal. Conveniently, there's a local half marathon 2 weeks before the marathon, AND my training plan (FIRST) has a 13 mile long run planned for that same weekend. The only real hesitation is that the plan calls for a long run at marathon pace. But, of course, if I want to use race equivalent calculations, I need to actually RACE the half marathon which, I hope, means somewhat faster then marathon pace. (Let's ignore the face that I don't really know what my marathon pace is ;^) If I go all out on the half marathon, how realistic is it to expect to recover fully in two weeks for the marathon? FWIW, not only has my training plan included runs from 13 to 20 miles for the last seven weeks, but I have run half marathons (including trail runs) before, and I've completed several half ironman triathlons, so the half marathon distance isn't really a stretch for me. I don't want to use those results to set a goal, though, because I've improved quite a bit as a runner since then; for example, my 10k time is about 7 minutes fasters than it was. Plus, the conditions (trail run had significant climbing; half marathon was run at below zero wind chill; triathlons,--obviously--have a bit of swimming and cycling before the run) weren't really equivalent to the marathon (Tybee Island, flat as a pancake). As best as I can recall, however, I was able to recover from the earlier races fairly quickly. (In the case of my most recent half ironman, I was able to win my age group in a 10k trail race two weeks later.) Comments or suggestions on the following three alternatives are very welcome: (a) continue with my training plan, ignore the half marathon (b) run the half marathon, but at my best guess at marathon pace; if it's fairly easy, then figure the marathon pace is right (c) run the half marathon all out and use race equivalents to predict a marathon pace [Note: I'm not sure if I have the will power for option (b); if I enter the race, it will be hard to hold back.] Thanks a lot in advance for any advice or comments. Stephen
    va

Another option... (d) Pick a weekend, 4-6 weeks out, and replace your long run with a half-marathon time trial (i.e., run the course of your choosing, perhaps similar in terrain to your marathon, and run it as though you were in a race). Use your HM time trial finish time to estimate your marathon finish and develop you marathon pacing strategy.
        If you're using FIRST, you must have a valid 10k pace or a good estimate of one. You could use that with a race predictor to calulate a goal MP. Another option would be to go out and run has hard as you can go for an hour. This will give you your lactate threshold pace. Use this number to calculate your projected MP.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Stephen, I think that 2 weeks is a little close for an all-out half marathon and won't necessarily help you. However, I still think that it would be worth running, especially if you are unsure of your pace. I would run the first half at your "best guess" marathon pace. Then, if you want to, pick the pace up a little and see how it feels. If you still feel good at the end, then your marathon pace for the first half was a bit slow. If you have trouble and need to slow back down, your marathon pace was too fast. That is basically what I did with the Eastern States 20 Miler 3 weeks (and a day) before Boston. For more specifics about that, I'll point you at the relevant articles rather than just writing all of that over again: The Race Plan (formulated before the race) The Race Itself (showing how closely I stuck to the plan) My Boston marathon wasn't what I wanted; I was 2 or 3 minutes from a PR which I should have been able to run. I don't think that the 20 miler had much to do with that though (it was 3 weeks earlier) but it may have contributed. I think wearing too many clothes during Boston was more of a problem.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mikeymike

I think having a goal pace based on predictors is way overrated. Just race by feel. Your results will likely be as good or better than they would if you pre-determined a goal pace. If you can run a half marathon to determine marathon goal pace then why can't you run a marathon to determine marathon goal pace?

Runners run

VictorN

I also think racing a 1/2 two weeks out is pushing your luck. Go ahead and run it, but perhaps take it easy at first, pick it up to MP in the middle miles and see how you feel. Don't hesitate to back off if you feel like you are pushing it. Stay focused on the marathon. Victor