Classical Music (Read 649 times)

bhearn

Playing it yourself is an even better experience. Well, if you don't suck. But you can't beat the directness.

Wandering Wally

Yes!  I wish I could play.  So, I content myself with listening to those who can.  Besides, it's more fun to play to an audience, right?

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

bhearn

Well, I don't often play for an audience, except my cats! Sometimes when I host a BBQ I am goaded and drunk enough.

have tried over the years to appreciate classical, but i struggle with it.  yet give me contemporary stuff played by a string quartet, and i'm all, well, ears.

Try Hayden string quartets or anything by Kronos Quartet

Landowska. The instruments she played were actually very little like historical harpsichords; they were really a lot more like pianos. It wasn't until the late 20th century that the real harpsichord had its rebirth.

I always cringe when I hear Bach played on piano -- but I cut Glenn Gould some slack.

Don't get me wrong- that long solo harpsichord section in whichever Bach Brandendburg  absolutely knocks me out every time I hear it.

nice one, Chuck.  have listened to two movements from Hayden's string quartet in D minor and they're top!  excuse this inept musical interpretation, but i found them busy and shit, mind-occupying (although a bit of underlying bass wouldn't go amiss).

will check out Kronos tomoz Smile

MTR duplicate quote

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Don't get me wrong- that long solo harpsichord section in whichever Bach Brandendburg  absolutely knocks me out every time I hear it.

5th.

have tried over the years to appreciate classical, but i struggle with it.  yet give me contemporary stuff played by a string quartet, and i'm all, well, ears.

Give Beethoven's late quartets a shot.  I think too many people dismiss the big guy because of the popularity of his symphonies.  

Also Bartok's string quartets... all of 'em. 

MTA: And, of course the famous Ravel and Debussy quartets! 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Wandering Wally

It's amazing how many snippets and phrases one hears in popular music that come from classical pieces.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Give Beethoven's late quartets a shot.  I think too many people dismiss the big guy because of the popularity of his symphonies.  

Also Bartok's string quartets... all of 'em. 

MTA: And, of course the famous Ravel and Debussy quartets! 

cheers, Jehu.  a few more additions to my Spotify to-do list Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Orff's Carmina Burana is a great work, and I think it is well accessible for neophytes.

Orff's Carmina Burana is a great work, and I think it is well accessible for neophytes.

just had a quick listen, it's the music from the Old Spice ad; sweet Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

just had a quick listen, it's the music from the Old Spice ad; sweet Smile

It's really nice to block off an undisturbed hour and sit down with headphones and a translation. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Which reminds me...I could listen to Clint Mansell's stuff all day long.  His music pops up on Pandora a lot.  It's a lot of film scores, but it all stands well on its own.  I find this is true for a lot of John Williams' music, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And for the record, it's Franz Josef Haydn.