2018 Sub-3. No rules. Run. (Read 792 times)

steve_

powered by plants

You’ve got a good poker face as you used to love those mileage contests when you were an irresponsible adult working in the clothing business. 😀

lol...now I'm a slightly less irresponsible adult teaching children.

5k: 17:52 (2014); 10k 36:59 (2014); 15k: 56:29 (2018); Half: 1:19:27* (2018); Full: 2:54:22 (2018)

*downhill AF

you used to love those mileage contests 

I think Rachelara and tiger first met during a contest (and eventually got married).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think Rachelara and tiger first met during a contest (and eventually got married).

I remember that year when Tiger won it and was bragging so much during the contest that Bird22 left in a huff. Hilarious!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

weatherboy80

Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays everyone!

Swim: Nice recovery week!

Fin:  Nice week and hoping the PF behaves itself.

Steve: Nice big week.  Enjoy the vacation.

JMac: Super solid looking workouts, especially with 3 within a short span.  Saw that you have to shut it down for a bit and hope you caught it soon enough.  Either way you won't lose much.

JT: Hope the niggles are coming around?

Darkwave:  Solid overall week.   I think you win the prize for most balanced workout regime Smile

Me:  First real week of Boston training in the books.  Kind of jumped into the Daniels Q2 18 week plan about 2-3 weeks in since I was still inside of 2-3 weeks of my last hard race.   Those first two workouts were really tough though, but I also took advantage of some really good weather and was very happy to hit my paces almost right on in both of them (Q1 - 4 X 2 T on a track so ignore the GPS pace and Q2 as a mixed MP LR with a hard threshold mile in there).  Really encouraged to see that I could handle a GMP in the low 6 range for that long this early in the cycle on top of about 90+ miles in a 6-7 day span (had to move my LR a day up).  Really goes to show the impact of good weather on workouts in general as both days we had lows well into the 40s!  Miles were all flat as a pancake though this week, but plenty of time for some hill work over the next few months Smile

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Dec 17, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 23, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 9.2 7:25 Morning Run strava
          Mon 5.1 7:30 Found myself a new beer strava
          Tue 10.2 7:46 Supersaturated + strides strava
          Wed 5.5 8:12 Long Warm up strava
          Wed 8.7 5:35 4 X 3200T (11:44,37,31,31) + ~450m (pacing) strava
          Wed 2.2 8:17 Cool down for 16+ strava
          Thu 9.2 7:45 Sampling the low-level winds strava
          Fri 7.2 7:27 More wind + strides strava
          Sat 19.0 6:35 Need a shot of Jack after this? 3E + 8.3M + 1T +2.2M + 1E + 2M +1.5E strava
          Sun 5.8 7:50 Doing grass on my recovery miles strava
            82.1 7:14    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Weather: That's a great week to start off your cycle. I don't think you need to worry too much about hill training for Boston; the bridge repeats you run should do the trick.

Darkwave: I've been thinking to add in 15-20 min on the treadmill before my strengthwork, just to warm up thoroughly. I do that in the evening after work, whereas all my runs are in the morning. Things seem to be a bit more in sync biomechanically for me now, so maybe it was just an adjustment period, getting used to the post-hernia abdominal situation.

To the injured: Hope things heal quickly and completely.

I took 4 days off from running and that seemed to help my calf a lot. I ran 6, 8, and 10 miles the last 3 days in wonderfully flat Michigan without problems. The first run I did feel a dull ache throughout, but for the last 2 runs have not felt much of anything. Hopefully this will be the end of the calf-strain nonsense.

A few good running related books I am enjoying:

1. Endure by Alex Hutchinson. Just getting started on this but so far it is superb.

2. Marathon Man by Bill Rodgers. Written by Bill about his 1975 Boston win and training leading up to it, also the subsequent wins at Boston and NYC.  Sidenote: Rodgers was 5'9" and weighed 128 lbs, so you 5 ft 9 folks here have room to lose more 

3. Lore of Running by Tim Noakes. I am late to the game getting this one. This has everything running related in it. I really like the section on great runners throughout the last 100+ years and the specific training they did. Very interesting. Insane how some of those guys trained, like Jim Peters and Derek Clayton.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weather: Great week, you are in great shape

JT: Good to see you back out there

Me: Came down with some pretty bad posterior tibial tendinitis. I woke up on Monday morning with it being super sore after my run on Sunday. I was worried about it, but decided to go for a run. It hurt for the first mile, but then was final for the final 6 of that 7 mile run. However, it stayed very sore the rest of the night after the run, so after testing it out on Tuesday morning, I've decided to take some time off. years ago I probably would have ran through this kind of thing, but given I'm so early in the cycle, it seems stupid to push through this. I'm hoping that by taking the conservative route, I can prevent the worst version of this injury, which seems to knock people out for months. I've been doing some work on it (thanks for all the tips on Strava everyone), including massaging it and surrounding areas. I've learned from past injuries that I need to keep working on the area and NOT leave it isolated, which makes things worse. I'm going to to go out today to see if I can find some KT Tape for it, but otherwise I'll take a few days and go for a test run again later this week.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Been quietly reading here, but not too much to post.  I ordered a pair of vapormax, but I think I had a defective pair (problem with insert felt like I had a rock in my foot) and am exchanging them.

Still hovering around 40 miles a week, but will try and start ramping up for a 16 week cycle for Boston (looking to top off at 70).  Today I did a nice 23? miler on moderately technical trails with a few thousand feet of elevation change.  Over 3.5 hrs of running, so it was a good check that my body still knows how to work.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Been quietly reading here, but not too much to post.  I ordered a pair of vapormax, but I think I had a defective pair (problem with insert felt like I had a rock in my foot) and am exchanging them.

Still hovering around 40 miles a week, but will try and start ramping up for a 16 week cycle for Boston (looking to top off at 70).  Today I did a nice 23? miler on moderately technical trails with a few thousand feet of elevation change.  Over 3.5 hrs of running, so it was a good check that my body still knows how to work.

Good to see that you are still self absorbed and only post when it’s about yourself. 🙄

JMac - Sorry to hear about the PTT....the fact that it was ‘super sore’ after your Sunday run is a bit worrying. I personally think that you didn’t give yourself enough recovery time after NYC...your last weekly had 3x16+ quality runs and we’re not even into 2019 yet. If you’ve had it before then I’m guessing you probably overpronate which means you need to strengthen the glutes. Go see a good PT to give you a suitable strength training plan. From my experience KT tape definitely helps when coming back from that injury. You could also experiment with different insoles with a better arch support?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I don't think coming back too quick was it. I took 9 days off in a row after the marathon, and didn't run a single thing faster than easy pace for all 5 weeks after the race. I'm also not even back to the 70 mpw I was doing for NYC. I just think something went wrong in my long run and because I was warmed up, I never felt it until the next day. Often injuries are too much, too soon, but I don't think that was the case here. If anything I blame my laziness with leg strengthening during those 5 weeks, which is the critical time to be doing that kind of stuff before your cycle starts. Looks like the other injured folks are on the mend (JT, Piwi, and Finbad have all looked good recently).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

slingrunner

Good to see that you are still self absorbed and only post when it’s about yourself. 🙄

Sorry man, I do acknowledge I'm pretty egocentric on here, but mostly because I have difficulty following the dozen different or so conversations. I have difficulty with the format where one is required to make a comment in reference to each person that went before them. For me I see this forum as a bit of a way to not annoy the nonrunners in our lives with discussing what's going on, and to occasionally ask for advice. Maybe I took the "No rules" part too literally.

For instance yesterday I read one of Darkwave's comments, and followed my way to her blog, where I found her race report quite an interesting read , but I didn't really have anything to add to the conversation about it.

But point taken.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JT fingers crossed on our calves. You are like me take a few days off and then back into it. Trouble is it lures us back by feeling ok and then bam the ache starts up again.

Mikkey are you following a plan for Brighton or doing the Mikkey special ? Sub 3 seems a world away for me right now.

Sling good to see you back keep posting.

Jmac good luck with your....candy crush attempts to catch me 

True to form I couldn't shut it down till the new year as I was feeling fat and lazy. So far so good but I won't know until I get a couple of pfitz weeks under my belt.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If anything I blame my laziness with leg strengthening during those 5 weeks, which is the critical time to be doing that kind of stuff before your cycle starts

Based on my considerable experience as another idiot on the internet, this makes sense to me.    I've seen this happen a lot - people have a prehab routine or similar, then take a break, or decide that everything's fine and they don't need it any more.  And....a few weeks later.

The good news is, if that's you, you already know how to tackle this.

JTReeves - thanks for the recs - I have the first and third (and really liked the first); but don't have the second.  I think I'll be remedying that shortly.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Piwi: That looked like a good longer run you got in today so hopefully things are healed up for you. I hear you on not knowing for sure till a few weeks have gone by, as this injury seems to go dormant and then awaken out of the blue with a vengeance. A couple things I have done which may or may not be helping: I have been massaging the calf, on the area that is strained, gently with my thumbs a few times a day. Also before each run I have been jumping in place, about 20-30 times, progressively higher. This seems to warm up or activate the calf, and when I do that it is fine (so far, knock on wood) during the runs. It may have nothing to do with this but I will probably keep doing it as I don;t want to screw anything up.

JMac: I'm not familiar with that injury (lucky for me I guess), but it looked like you got a lot of solid advice on it, and the fact that you caught it early and shut things down should be a good thing.

Darkwave: Since you're a reading runner here are another couple books I read a while ago that I liked. Running with the Kenyans by Adharanand Finn and a follow up to that by the same author, The Way of the Runner. The author spent about 6 months living in Kenya at a training camp in Iten, and mingled/ran with a lot of big names. It was very interesting to see what the culture and training was like. The second book was about him living in Japan and learning about the ekiden racing tradition, and running with an ekiden team. The contrast between Japanese and Kenyan running culture is striking, as is the ekiden system and how important it is in Japan.

BTW, nice cat instagram.

Mikkey: When will you start your marathon cycle? It seems like you've been running sparsely but briskly the last few weeks; good for re-charging but staying sharp at the same time.

2:52:16 (2018)

finbad

Do injury prevention they said. Strengthen your core they said. Plank is really good for you they said.

Threw my bloody back out doing plank and now I'm walking about at work with a hotwater bottle down the back of my jeans.

hurrumph

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

steve_