2017 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 487 times)

FSBD

It's been too long since there has been a post in this thread.

Yesterday was my first run in, really not that long, but it feels like forever.  It is amazing how good running is for you mentally.  I feel so much better today than I had been feeling.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

xhristopher

stuck

Julia1971

It looks like we have our jackets, folks!

Mens: http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-marathon-celebration-jacket/BK3026.html

Womens: http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-marathon-celebration-jacket/BK3028.html

I approve.  I'm not sure I'll purchase it, but it's a nice looking jacket.

Have people started training?  My goal race is Eugene so I have a couple weeks before I really start but I'm looking at training plans.  Curious to know people training for Boston are using.  Also, has anyone used the back-of-the-book plan in The Science of Running?  It's pretty hard core.  I was thinking about trying to scale it down but was wondering if it's even possible to convert that to hobby-jogger level.

spartygw

Wow, how awesome.

Last year's were just downright ugly. This is perfect!

Dreamn

I like it. IIRC,  someone on these boards did a similar color mock up. I prefer the men's blue on blue but I'll wait to see what the women's looks like in person. It appears that they've tried to make it more of a useful running jacket by using the Adidas Climaoroof material, which is allegedly wind and water resistant, adding a drawcord,  and making the stripes reflective Smile.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It looks like we have our jackets, folks!

Mens: http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-marathon-celebration-jacket/BK3026.html

Womens: http://www.adidas.com/us/boston-marathon-celebration-jacket/BK3028.html

I approve.  I'm not sure I'll purchase it, but it's a nice looking jacket.

It's so introverted compared to the 2014 orange! Smile

Linda

I wrote my letter to Santa.  I think the jacket is sweet!

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Julia1971

It's so introverted compared to the 2014 orange! Smile

2012 orange was the best.  Perfect marriage of fashion and actual race-day weather.  Wink

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

This must be the year I finally get an official celebration jacket.  Probably my last Boston anyway. Fitting.

Julia1971

ICYMI, the deadline for submitting an improved race time (to get a better seeding) is February 1st.

Hope everyone is enjoying their training.  It's been pretty mild here in the mid-Atlantic.  I'm going to run in shorts today.  Smile

Julia1971

How's everyone holding up?

We had a record-setting warm February here in the DMV.  I've mostly been running in short and capris for the past month.  We've had some windy days, but mostly no excuse weather.

Boston isn't my goal spring race, so I've been slacking on logistics.  I booked a hotel right away but I'm guessing I should book a flight soon before they get expensive.

xhristopher

How's everyone holding up?

Just wrapping up a month battle with tendonitis. That put me behind and hoping for lots of miles this month.

Bib numbers are out. For kicks I pulled up my bib numbers over the years and what times it took to earn them. I got a higher number with a 3:04 than I did with a 3:12 just a few years ago. Qualifiers are getting faster. Duh.

2017 - 5812 (3:04:42)

2016 - 4295 (2:59:44)

2015 - 3729 (2:59:44)

2014 - 6207 (3:04:38)

2013 - 6469 (3:09:56)

2012 - 3732 (3:03:32)

2011 - 5461 (3:12:01)

Julia1971

Just wrapping up a month battle with tendonitis. That put me behind and hoping for lots of miles this month.

Bib numbers are out. For kicks I pulled up my bib numbers over the years and what times it took to earn them. I got a higher number with a 3:04 than I did with a 3:12 just a few years ago. Qualifiers are getting faster. Duh.

2017 - 5812 (3:04:42)

2016 - 4295 (2:59:44)

2015 - 3729 (2:59:44)

2014 - 6207 (3:04:38)

2013 - 6469 (3:09:56)

2012 - 3732 (3:03:32)

2011 - 5461 (3:12:01)

Thanks for the heads up.  Was there an email or something letting us know?  I probably missed it since I'm racing this weekend.

I think I've been moving further back, too.  I'm Wave 2, Corral 7 this year but I think I'm usually in Corral 5.

xhristopher

Thanks for the heads up.  Was there an email or something letting us know?  I probably missed it since I'm racing this weekend.

I think I've been moving further back, too.  I'm Wave 2, Corral 7 this year but I think I'm usually in Corral 5.

No email. I just saw a bunch of shares on Facebook.

Don't be surprised if I suddenly move back after next year -- if I keep running it. With the 10 minute bonus I'll get for getting older BQ pace will suddenly equal average conversational long run pace. Boston may just become a big fun run.

Training is going well although the Pfitz program had me beat down pretty good a couple of weeks ago. Felt like maybe a little bit of burnout / overtraining. Did a solid 20 miler on a hilly road last weekend and this week felt good so I think I'm back on track. 18 tomorrow w/14 @ MP - we'll see how that goes. Thankfully I'm injury free right now. Wave 3, corral 4 for me. Not excited about the 10:50 start but hey, it's pushing 90 here in Phoenix so hopefully I'll be ready if it's warm. Best of luck everyone with the rest of your training!