Smartwool's Drop in Quality (Read 1335 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know a few of us have noted this in the last year or two.  I just found out that Smartwool was bought by another company at some point, which may explain much.  But the original Smartwool folks spun-off into another company, Point6.  Has anyone tried their stuff?  Pricing looks similar to Smartwool, but at least one of the styles I looked at was 100% wool, rather than the blends that Smartwool uses.  I'm curious and will likely try a pair or two (as I have several pair just sort of suddenly disintegrating and in need of replacement, hrmmm...).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The plot thickens...I noticed a drop in quality before Smartwool/Timberland was purchased by the same folks who own TNF.

~ Sarah Kay

Darn Tough have merino blends.  Haven't tried them myself, but heard good things about 'em.  Kinda spendy, but they're made in the US and have an (allegedly) unconditional guarantee.  Wanna do a review?

http://darntough.com/index.html

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those look great, too. I may have to find some.

~ Sarah Kay

Hawt and sexy

I'm telling you, just knit some up.

I'm touching your pants.

ymmv

Last fall, I bought a few pairs of Point6 and Smartwool socks. The Point6 were a bit more expensive. I remember thinking that, while the Smartwool ones were as good as ever, the Point6 felt even better. It will take me a while to wear them out, but I liked the Point6 enough to seek them out first the next time I need more cold or wet weather running socks.

have a couple pairs of the darn tough.   comfy, warm & so far so good, but have not had them long.    supposedly having the highest stitch count of anything out there right now & yes they say they guarantee them for life.  Darn Tough

Jill_B

I fly.

Darn Tough have merino blends.  Haven't tried them myself, but heard good things about 'em.  Kinda spendy, but they're made in the US and have an (allegedly) unconditional guarantee.  Wanna do a review?

http://darntough.com/index.html

I don't know about running, but the ski socks are pretty good.  

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Teko looks like another brand worth trying.

~ Sarah Kay

I don't know about running, but the ski socks are pretty good.  

Yeah, I guess that would be a pretty solid market for a Vermont company.  There are just so few Made In USA options left for anything that I'm going to have to give them a try.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

darn socks have priced themselves even above smartwool.  darn those socks!

Ojo

I stopped buying Smartwool for running because I was wearing through them every month!  Balega started making a merino sock that I love and wears really well.

Sara

MM #2929

No run...need sleepy!

I've been disappointed with Smartwool socks wearing quickly and coming apart.

Currently Costco (Chicago suburbs) is stocking a generic Merino wool hiking sock.  They're a bit over $1/pair.  At that price I'll forgive a little premature wear.

Ibex makes nice stuff, wears really well.

And their logo is pretty cool, if you're going to miss the SW icon.

CMJHawk86

Another vote for Point6 here. I have 3 pairs in different thicknesses and I love each one. They are far more comfortable than Smartwool and they seem to be much more durable as well. It takes about a year of wear before my big toe pops through the Smartwools.