Ironing on a Technical Shirt (Read 1265 times)

is a bad idea.  That's what I think.  My friend offered to iron the logo for her charity onto a technical shirt for my race. I have a feeling this is a pretty bad idea for a technical shirt.  Am I wrong?  I am thinking to just write on the shirt with a sharpie, like SRL does.  Any thoughts?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I don't think iron-on transfers will work on tech fabrics...and I'd worry about melting the shirt and having it get stuck to the iron.  The designs printed on tech shirts from races aren't regular iron-on or silk-screened process like one would have on cotton shirts.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

is a bad idea.  That's what I think.  My friend offered to iron the logo for her charity onto a technical shirt for my race. I have a feeling this is a pretty bad idea for a technical shirt.  Am I wrong?  I am thinking to just write on the shirt with a sharpie, like McLovin does:

Any thoughts?

what happens when you start sweating. Will the sharpie's ink bleed into a big smear? I do think I'll sweat, and a lot, during the marathon. 

The T-Shirt iron-ons that you can buy at Target or Office Max work quite well on Technical shirts.  I've made about a half dozen custom shirts using those T-Shirt transfers without a problem.  They turn out pretty nice too.

what happens when you start sweating. Will the sharpie's ink bleed into a big smear? I do think I'll sweat, and a lot, during the marathon. 

I think this will make the shirt look even better. 

xor

I can tell you first hand about the smearing thing.

It depends on the shirt.  It does not smear on most of the shirts I've tried.  It has smeared just a little bit on two (out of 12ish shirts I remember trying)... and specifically, it was the little sharpie that smeared.  The big fat sharpie and marksalot haven't smeared.  It is obvious that you don't want to try water-eraseable markers.  Stay away from dry erase too.

Also, some fabrics are rough/waffley, and not good for writing.

Watch out how you wash it after you wear it.  I handwash.

I haven't tried iron-ons.  It is interesting to find out, and good to know, that it works great. I would have thought that it would melt the shirt.  Cool.

For the record, I am really REALLY tired of seeing that picture, especially that big.  

I can tell you first hand about the smearing thing.

It depends on the shirt.  It does not smear on most of the shirts I've tried.  It has smeared just a little bit on two (out of 12ish shirts I remember trying)... and specifically, it was the little sharpie that smeared.  The big fat sharpie and marksalot haven't smeared.  It is obvious that you don't want to try water-eraseable markers.  Stay away from dry erase too.

Also, some fabrics are rough/waffley, and not good for writing.

Watch out how you wash it after you wear it.  I handwash.

I haven't tried iron-ons.  It is interesting to find out, and good to know, that it works great. I would have thought that it would melt the shirt.  Cool.

For the record, I am really REALLY tired of seeing that picture, especially that big.  

Really sorry man.  Thanks for the tip! 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Solved.

xor

Heh.

(it's a fine pic, and I really appreciate the folks at Monkey who make the race great.  The cool pics are part of that great experience.  It's just that in the past couple weeks, I've seen my goofy wrinkly face in the stupid hat on RA a bunch of times... )

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I like the pic...I like it so much that I might iron it on to a tech shirt and run around with your face on my chest!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

xor

Oh my.

Well.

You see, that's different.  I think I'd like that...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh my.

Well.

You see, that's different.  I think I'd like that...

Heh, don't encourage her.  Next thing you know she'll be contemplating OTHER places to apply your face. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

Heh, don't encourage her.  Next thing you know she'll be contemplating OTHER places to apply your face. Tongue

is there  a company that makes custom temporary tattoos?  I would definitely want to wear an SRL tattoo. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

is there  a company that makes custom temporary tattoos?  I would definitely want to wear an SRL tattoo. 

Ooh, friends of ours were just telling us about temporary tattoo sheets that can be printed with any ink-jet printer! 

~ Sarah Kay