Have you ever been hazed or have you hazed someone? (Read 290 times)

Anyone in the Navy from 2000'ish and prior surely went through some form of Hazing, or was part of some form of hazing.   There might be a (very weak) argument that hazing is not as bad if certain folks agree to it as a rite of passage of some sort.   The military is at least 90% rid of those hazing, or "initiation' practices now.

As to Ritchie:  That one soundbyte sounds pretty severe.  While not wanting to play judge and jury here without all facts known, I will say that his comments sound as if they go well beyond hazing into other more severe types of intimidation and threats of bodily harm to a person.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

NHLA

His name is David.  If you call him mouse I will kick your ass. That put and end to that.

Some people can't deal with abuse they need somebody to stand up for them. I am glad I did.

xhristopher

Bullying and hazing are bad. That said, I enjoy seeing the pink, purples, etc... backpacks the rookies wear in the MLB.

Bullying and hazing are bad. That said, I enjoy seeing the pink, purples, etc... backpacks the rookies wear in the MLB.

We were talking about this yesterday at work.  A colleague of mine is a huge football fan that happened to listen to ESPN radio yesterday when they were saying that football needs more Incognito's than they need Martin's.  Couldn't believe that's the argument within ESPN yesterday...

He also said that baseball hazes, and all I could think of was the rookie pitchers walking to the bullpen with their pink backpacks.

FWIW, this colleague believes that hazing and bullying is an 'important' part of the development of football players at all levels.  He has 2 middle school boys playing football.  I told him to walk away and get back to work and shut up.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xhristopher

I guess if there are any rituals for new people they should be the kind that can be seen and talked about in public like the pink backpacks. If you can't do it in front of everyone it's a strong indicator that it shouldn't be done at all. Makes it easy for the stupid, I guess.

Slo

Intimidation is part of everyday life...You best know how to handle it.

If you don't think Bullying and intimidation like a manger throwing his weight around takes place then you betterr get your head out of the sand.

You should know how it feels to be fresh out of school taking your first job in skilled trades and encountering a group of old timers that have paid thier dues, marked thier territories and earned thier pecking order. If you don't have a little thick skin you are not going to last very long. On the other hand, if you can you are going to have a band of brothers for life.

Indimidation and bullying comes in many forms and I don't think it's ever going to go away. I don't care if it's right or wrong, it's here, it's part of our human nature...learn to deal with it.

NHLA...is also correct.

The Iowa Hawkeyes vistors locker room ion Kinnick stadium has been painted pink for 30 years...suddenly it's a bullying issue.

kcam

No.

That video of the shirtless Incognito blustering around that bar is freaking scarey.  Like a big, dumb, wild animal that you wouldn't want to get in the way of.

Tiefsa

Indimidation and bullying comes in many forms and I don't think it's ever going to go away. I don't care if it's right or wrong, it's here, it's part of our human nature...learn to deal with it.

NHLA...is also correct.

The Iowa Hawkeyes vistors locker room ion Kinnick stadium has been painted pink for 30 years...suddenly it's a bullying issue.

I respectfully disagree that we need to just deal with it.  I understand the litlte pink backpack type stuff, but what Incognito did is way past an acceptable level.  Was he supposed to just take that forever?  There is a line, and he went waaaaaay across it.

Would you say me getting stuffed upside down in a locker my freshman year is something I should accept, and then do it to someone smaller when I'm a senior? No!

As far as the Hawkeyes locker room being pink, that's not bullying.  Especially since Wisconsin just crushed them!

Chantilly75

We were hazed as an initiation into HS in the 1960's.

Being smeared with lipstick and a spanking is what I remember.

We felt it was an important rite of passage, because after that day, we belonged.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

obiebyke

Hazing sucks. Bullying sucks.

And why is all of this stuff homophobic/sexist in nature? Why do we humiliate men by making them wear lipstick or pink? Really? MTA: Why is a man wearing pink or lipstick a bad thing? Why are we teaching boys/men that "girly" things are shameful?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

npaden

I was hazed on multiple occasions on sports teams in high school and in my college club (fraternity).  I felt the hazing created a bond with the incoming group of freshman players and pledges in college and that when you got through it you accomplished something and now belonged.  The short hazing initiation period was followed by a very welcoming acceptance by the rest of the team or club.

Hazing was just starting to make national news back then with the alcohol poisoning deaths and some similar problems, but I was involved in the initiation of several new pledge groups into my college club at that time.  I don't feel that I did anything that I would be ashamed of, but I'm sure it was hazing.  Our pledges had to wear dresses, they were ridiculed, they had to get up early, do some pretty tough workouts, eat nasty things, we used a big wooden paddle and gave them swats, terrible stuff by today's standards.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Jeff F

Free Beer

6'3" 319lbs...4.84 40yd dash...University of Nebraska product...lifelong total douchebag...geeze, you think???

He was not a University of Nebraska product...they kicked him off the team.  The beginning of a pattern...

No.

That video of the shirtless Incognito blustering around that bar is freaking scarey.  Like a big, dumb, wild animal that you wouldn't want to get in the way of.

So, a typical NFL offensive lineman?

Best Present Ever

Hazing sucks. Bullying sucks.

And why is all of this stuff homophobic/sexist in nature? Why do we humiliate men by making them wear lipstick or pink? Really? MTA: Why is a man wearing pink or lipstick a bad thing? Why are we teaching boys/men that "girly" things are shameful?

+ one million  

Mysecondnewname

So, a typical NFL offensive lineman?

Actually, O-linemen typically grade out as the most intelligent players on the field as a group.