Anyone row? (Read 201 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

`Feather!’ cried the Sheep, as she took up another pair of needles.

This didn’t sound like a remark that needed any answer, so Alice said nothing, but pulled away.

Village people

`Feather!’ cried the Sheep, as she took up another pair of needles.

This didn’t sound like a remark that needed any answer, so Alice said nothing, but pulled away.

We learned feathering tonight. I am a fan. We did great rowing all eight. It was the first time and there were some glorious moments. I also switched from starboard to port side and it wasn't that crazy. Feathering on starboard might be tricky should I happen to move again,

Village people

I have rowed on starboard side two nights in a row. I better not move again. I also sat in the stern part of the boat for the first time. Moving around the boat adds one more thing for me to remember. The command "stern, row two' is me. I have to remember that I am starboard and stern,

We are racing on Saturday, oh boy! Last night I was in a four with three men.  That is where I will be racing. I was sure that I was going to get my head lopped off but it went pretty well. A four is kind of tippy so it is really important that your oar height stays in a sweet spot and that everyone is in sync. The women were out in the eight and one of the men in our boat did not want them passing us so we did a lot of power strokes, it was great. This was the first time that I felt like I had a workout. Mostly I have been sore from being so tense in the boat.

Our boat was in the top rack so we had to climb portable stairs to get it down. Carrying those boats is tough. I had one digging into my shoulder one night and I ended up with a bruise and my shoulder is still sore.

Water levels are are quite low in NH and Mass so our race has been shortened to 3700m from 5000m.

jfa

That's a pretty complicated sport, although I have the port and starboard and bow and stern things down well. Good going.

Those boats are very nimble. Do they ever go over?

Village people

That's a pretty complicated sport, although I have the port and starboard and bow and stern things down well. Good going.

Those boats are very nimble. Do they ever go over?

I only know what people have told me but it takes a lot to tip an eight but less to tip a four. The club has never tipped a boat and I don't think the high school has ever tipped one. There was a nasty spill several years back at UNH. Someone was killed, I think.

It it is an awesome workout once we get going but until I get better, I am pretty nervous out there.

Concentrated Awesome

Good luck! I rowed in college for a year. Man that's a tough sport!

We started every practice with a run which is actually how I figured out I was good at running.

Weights are great, and so is the erg machines if you have access to any.

I was on the bow pair, on port side. Great experience and I'm glad I did it. Unfortunately I realized I am WAY too short to row... everyone thought I was the coxswain.

Village people

^ thanks.

I am almost 5'3" so not too tall and I walk around with my hands in the air not touching the boat sometimes. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at being a coxswain. I'd learn a lot.

This is supposed to be fun. I should remind my team of that! I am still rowing a little scared. Tonight should be better. Right?

Concentrated Awesome

^ thanks.

I am almost 5'3" so not too tall and I walk around with my hands in the air not touching the boat sometimes. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at being a coxswain. I'd learn a lot.

This is supposed to be fun. I should remind my team of that! I am still rowing a little scared. Tonight should be better. Right?

HAHA! I did that as well- just put my hands up as the boat was being carried... I'm 5'1 so I'm pretty short Smile

Well enjoy it! It was a good time.

Village people

Thanks. Race tomorrow!

For anyone bored and reading this thread. Here we are practicing last week. I think that was our first time rowing all eight. I am racing in a four with three men. Not sure how that came about but that is how it is. While I work up a good sweat when we are out there with the men, it is still more mentally challenging than physically challenging. That might change tomorrow.

BeeRunB

I never row. I just column.

Momentum

I row.  Not fast, but I get there.  I find rowing to be more pleasant than cycling.  I certainly agree with the focus on technique.  It was the hardest for me to conquer.

Village people

Nice, Jimmy.

Finished my first race. I was a runner for years and never raced. I have rowed 5 times on the water and I somehow did a race. I rowed a mixed four. Me and three men. My greatest fear was catching a crab during the race and of course it happened. I wasn't catapulted from the boat and recovered while the men kept rowing, It was a tough 3500. The course was short due to water levels but I left it all on the course.

Next week I am doing a 10km in Lowell, MA. That should be interesting.

Village people

You really all must row! I have another race under my belt and I am definitely hooked.

Our last race was the Textile regatta in Lowell. The race was 6000m but we had to row about 5000m to the starting line, it was a lot of rowing but what a great day. The water was perfect and we all had a good day.

Village people

The season is over but I thought that I would share a few pics from our final race.

Village people

Wrigs, you were asking me this. In the first picture our oars are feathered and in the second one they are squared and ready to catch the water.