Active.com = Sleaze (Read 1363 times)

Why do race organizers rely so heavily on these guys to handle online registrations? Is there really no other alternative?

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/02/21/a-guerrilla-marathon-in-salt-lake-city/

"The stories also note runners' frustration that Active.com, which does not offer refunds, "continues to collect registrations for the race without even a warning" that the race may not happen."

Well, if they signed up unofficially, I am not sure why they are now objecting.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's pretty much their MO.  I'm glad that a lot of events no longer use Active for registration.  I'm one of the organizers for the ODRAM ride and myself and another organizer (another runner) urged the head honcho to change registration services for this year.  So we're using BikeReg.com, now.

When I register for events that use Active I generally mail in a check and save myself fees supporting that organization.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

dennrunner

tangent unrelated to the sleaziness of Active.com.

Having used Active for registering for various races in the past, I'm on their email list. I could always attempt to unsubscribe or just send their emails to junk, but I have a question regarding the timing of the receipt of email versus when the email is actually received in my inbox.

I have my email set to sort by date and time. Emails from Active slot themselves according to this sorting, but they are not actually received in my inbox according to said time. I actually receive them hours or even a day or two later than the time they sort in. This has happened for at least the last two years using either Outlook or Web-based email through AT&T Yahoo.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I don't receive email from any other source that has this behavior. Weird.

an amazing likeness

I have my email set to sort by date and time. Emails from Active slot themselves according to this sorting, but they are not actually received in my inbox according to said time. I actually receive them hours or even a day or two later than the time they sort in. This has happened for at least the last two years using either Outlook or Web-based email through AT&T Yahoo.

Yes. But I see this with other newsletters as well, not just those from active.com.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

eric :)

This is probably because they send out so many emails that other ISPs would tell Active's mail servers to slow down, resulting in a back log of emails.

tangent unrelated to the sleaziness of Active.com.

Having used Active for registering for various races in the past, I'm on their email list. I could always attempt to unsubscribe or just send their emails to junk, but I have a question regarding the timing of the receipt of email versus when the email is actually received in my inbox.

Yes, I have seen this.  It's very odd.

Jeff

Feeling the growl again

If anyone has a list of the alternatives for race signup (ie Active.com competitors) please list a few.  I'm to the point that I have actually opted out of races because I did not want to use Active.  I think it would be nice to have a nice form letter on file that I could email the RD expressing my disappointment at their choice of using Active.com, my desire to run their race if they should ever choose another service provider, along with a list of options.

Maybe eric Smile should integrate such a feature into the RA business model.  It would likely be easy to use, well thought out, and feature-rich.  Couple it with an eventual race calendar....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HermosaBoy

Maybe eric Smile should integrate such a feature into the RA business model.  It would likely be easy to use, well thought out, and feature-rich.  Couple it with an eventual race calendar....

+1,000,000 for a great idea!

I would gladly pay service fees to Eric because he does things right...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If anyone has a list of the alternatives for race signup (ie Active.com competitors) please list a few...

I've been very happy using ultrasignup.com (both as a director and as a competitor).

I've heard of raceit.com, but haven't used it (neither for directing nor as a competitor).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Several of the alternatives I've registered through...

RunReg.com

SignMeUp.com

RunRace.net

GetMeRegistered.com

UltraSignup.com

Liz

pace sera, sera

Slo

I'll 2nd GetMeRegistered.

You will not work with a better group. Thier other company "EndResults" also provides chip timing, instant on site finisher data and online reslts.

If anyone has a list of the alternatives for race signup (ie Active.com competitors) please list a few.  I'm to the point that I have actually opted out of races because I did not want to use Active.  I think it would be nice to have a nice form letter on file that I could email the RD expressing my disappointment at their choice of using Active.com, my desire to run their race if they should ever choose another service provider, along with a list of options.

It would be hard to avoid them -- unless I didn't want to race at all around here. But I will make a point of letting RDs know that dealing with Active could be costing them registrations (and it certainly costs them goodwill).

Feeling the growl again

It would be hard to avoid them -- unless I didn't want to race at all around here. But I will make a point of letting RDs know that dealing with Active could be costing them registrations (and it certainly costs them goodwill).

Well I am getting old and slow now so I don't have to worry about trying to find a big competitive race every few weeks anymore...I seem to look forward to the one involving four laps around my grass track and as many cans of beer about as much as any of them.  If I can't sign up the day of, chances are I won't be doing it.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

If I can't sign up the day of, chances are I won't be doing it.  Wink

Yes Sir !

More and more races are eliminating race day registration. (Those that are chipped timed) Or some will allow race day registration but you will not be given an official time and will not participate in overall or age group awards.

Another thing we are seeing is complete elimination of mail in entries.

The reason for this is that it reduces the possibility for data entry errors in the rush of same day registration.

As part of a race committee, the 1st timing and registration company we worked with was pretty adamant about not allowing race day registration and not taking mail in entries. I pushed very hard to get the RD to allow race day entries and we also found a different company to work with.

I have had experience with the data entry error. I won 1st place in the 25 - 29 female age bracket in a 5k! Imagine my delight. Unfortunatly, I was unable to collect my true award of 2nd 40 - 44 male. They eventually got it straigtend out. Come to find out later there were several errors, all race day entry.

Another reason the online registration companies will push the online entry only is to make thier own piece of the pie bigger. If they get the race day hold outs to register early then they get to collect the fees on thier entry as well.