Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

kimba

Good plan, and good luck.  Let me know how it comes along.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Within a year, Kimba will be tired of us all asking her questions. However, I do have to say: great job sticking around! DPS and Paul have been our biggest additions this year and we love having new folks stick around (success is usually less than 50% to get them to stay).

Steve - As Kimba pointed out, hard to diagnose over the Internet. My peroneal tendinitis was down in my foot connecting to the 5th metatarsal, but it’s a tendon that runs all the way around (similar to the posterior tibial tendon) so it’s hard to say.

My test run with the new VF pair went well so I’ll be using them race day. Mark: you’re going to love training in the ZoomFly. I was wearing the VF and had a hard time telling the difference when running, so that means you made the right call with the training shoe. Obviously the huge weight difference between the two would make a massive difference in race situations, but for training, it mimics it perfectly.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kimba

I’ll just start making shit up if I get too many questions 😉.

I bring it on myself.  By nature, I like to help.  So if I can, I’ll try.  

Why don’t people stick around?  I think this is a great group!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

Marky_Mark_17

Why don’t people stick around?  I think this is a great group!

When this group got started on RA, it was basically because the old RWOL forum shut down and we needed a new place to hang out.  So there was a pretty established core group to start with.

We tend to get a few people at the start of any given year, or during the year, who jump in but then don't hang around.  But Steve, Marco and DPS are some examples of people who joined a bit later on and have hung around / haven't gotten sick of us yet.  It'd be nice to build that core group up more though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Agree with Mark. The forum definitely is a commitment if you want to be really into it. You can't just come here, dump off your week, and then not participate. Its okay, but the core group of folks tend to be actively engaged in conversation throughout the year.

My favorite thing honestly is helping out other folks, so I like where your head is at kimba. I can talk running training theory all day long. As someone who doesn't use a coach, it's extra important for me, but I just love doing as much as I can to better myself and others. I probably talk the most about it with keen since he's using a Daniels style approach.

When you're your own coach, you need to go beyond just following what's prescribed in a book. Besides maybe one marathon, I've crafted each of my cycles myself, using Daniels as an inspiration. But being actively involved in these forums has allowed me to really think about the best way to build a cycle.

I'll also say this about the forums (and this is where my Thanksgiving speech comes in): I wouldn't be half the runner I am now without this place. I remember when I first started I was SO intimidated by the mileage and the times people were putting up. At the time I thought running 30 miles per week was something you could brag about. Seeing guys running 70 miles per week was mind blowing. But I saw the times they put up and I committed to slowly building my mileage. It's led to where I am now, where I couldn't break 6:00 per miles in a 5K for YEARS and now I'm on the precipice of hitting it in a marathon.

So yeah, happy Thanksgiving to those in the US and I'm thankful for all of you 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Good luck to Keen and JMac - you've both had great training this year.

This year this thread has been busy.  We've had good additions.  Having a woman is good too, sub 1:30 is about sub 1:20 for a guy.

JMac/Mark - I think Mark got 4%s, not Zoom Fly's?

Do we have a thread leader for next year?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - Mark picked up a pair of ZF for training, which I just switched to for tempo runs about a month ago. That was my comment to him: they do a great job mimicking the VF feel for training.

Regarding thread leader, I will start the election/nominating process after my race.

watsonc123

JMac - check back a few pages.  It were 4%s he just got.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Apparently I can't read. I'm getting too old to be a thread leader. Definitely time for new leadership.

Marky_Mark_17

JMac/Watson - Watson is right.  I was going to buy the ZF and then I saw the 4% on clearance at a significantly cheaper price, and bought them instead.  I'll use them in key workouts to get a better gauge on what actual race pace might be - particularly with a marathon next year where I don't yet have a good gauge on what MP will be.

Re the thread - yeah it's not Thanksgiving here, although our retailers are still attempting to cash in on Black Friday sales, and I'm also very grateful for this thread.  Back when I started out it was a hugely valuable source of advice.  I'm totally in the same place as JMac when I say I wouldn't be half the runner I am without this group.  It's a massive source of encouragement, motivation and ideas.

I also like to think that I would genuinely be friends with many of the people on here if they lived near me, and not in far-away places like Wellington, or New York.  Although maybe you all think I am just a bit crazy.  I remember I was so blown away last year when folks on here were live-tracking km splits at the Waterfront Half Marathon where I was racing for the series title.  Not to mention the fact that Steve came along to Christchurch HM in atrocious weather to cheer for me and Watson when he would've been entirely justified staying home in bed. Hopefully I've helped support you all in some way too.  It's so cool seeing folks on here getting through their training and (often) nailing their goals.  Excited to see what JMac and Keen can put up at their respective marathons!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Apparently I can't read. I'm getting too old to be a thread leader. Definitely time for new leadership.

Things have changed. The Overlord would’ve told me I’d written it wrong.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - I have that at times, other times it’s the top of the foot, other times the bottom. It’s like it moves around.

Every time the solution is to roll the calves, quads and piriformis.

Kimba - as someone who works in IT (software developer), often people ask me to help them set up their printers / routers / smartphone Facebook account.

I wonder if that happens to you as well, people asking something that is in the same general direction but completely unrelated to your daily activities on the job.

No thanksgiving here, though there is a tradition of halloween with the youngsters, mostly so they can go to costume parties.

And we also have Black Friday, however here it's known as Black Fraud. Where as in the US it's stock clearance time with real discounts, over here they merely hike the prices up a month before on the yearly price hike season and then give some discounts to products so that they are roughly the price they should be at.

I also like these forums a lot. It's just that I don't have other people to talk about running. It's bothersome to explain every time that a 5km race is not a marathon. And please nobody talk about facebook groups, not only you need a hazmat suit to browse those, if I see yet another runner selfie I'll hammer punch my table 

2 x 5km @ marathon pace earlier today. Nailed it. I honestly thought I'd bonk but somehow I kept gaining second winds until it was done.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

kimba

I'll also say this about the forums (and this is where my Thanksgiving speech comes in): I wouldn't be half the runner I am now without this place. I remember when I first started I was SO intimidated by the mileage and the times people were putting up. At the time I thought running 30 miles per week was something you could brag about. Seeing guys running 70 miles per week was mind blowing. But I saw the times they put up and I committed to slowly building my mileage. It's led to where I am now, where I couldn't break 6:00 per miles in a 5K for YEARS and now I'm on the precipice of hitting it in a marathon.

Wow, that is a ringing endorsement of the power of the group.  How long has the group been communicating?

It is great to have a group of people in one place who are knowledgeable about running.  I think a bit later Flavio says something to the effect of running selfies on FB drive him crazy; almost as a rule, I mention very little about running on FB.  I can't stand the peeps who post pics of their work-out results on their watch, their mileage, their food.  Though running is just a hobby, it's one that I take pretty seriously, and posting superficial stuff on FB does nothing to advance it.  The best/worst is when people proudly post pics of their watch with their new VO2 max as calculated by the watch:  "Um, no Karen, your VO2 max isn't really 65."

JMac -that's an impressive improvement in your training and race results!  How long did that take?  Were you always following Daniels?

For my part, I'm happy to have found a group that gets consistent participation.  I've popped in to many groups and they just haven't been right -- for me right now I feel like Goldilocks who found the porridge that's just right! Lol

kimba

Kimba - as someone who works in IT (software developer), often people ask me to help them set up their printers / routers / smartphone Facebook account.

I wonder if that happens to you as well, people asking something that is in the same general direction but completely unrelated to your daily activities on the job.

Yes, it happens with both patients and non-patients.  I get questions  about all sorts of topics that aren't within my scope of practice.  The good thing about PT is that I can use that excuse - that's not within my scope of practice - and that effectively shuts down the conversation because the person realizes there is a clear boundary that I, as a licensed professional, will not cross.

The worst, though, is family members, specifically my dad.  He's in his late 70's, was a Marine, and a life long athlete.  He's also a stubborn Polack.  He beat the shit out of himself playing football when he was young, had many small injuries that were never effectively treated (they certainly didn't have as much access back in those days), and to this day he rides his stationary bike for 1-2 hours per day and does push-ups and pull-ups, and he always has something that hurts.  I don't live near him, so advice is given over the phone, but he pretty much refuses to go see any PT who lives near him!  It's a losing battle with him.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hey Flavio - I think as a software engineer, this is a fair question: do you know what’s going on with the RWOL Strava app? Why is it broken, and is it open source / can you fix it 

Kimba - yes, all following Daniels. Biggest improvement has come from just increasing mileage each year, but Daniels sort of forces that: he’s at his most effective once you start running 60+ MPW, as his workouts can be too brutal at lower mileage, even if you adjust down the distances.

Don’t get me started on social media runners. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Instagram “runners” and just rolled my eyes.