Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

mikeymike

Never got there last year...didn't really come close.  My fall marathon was a shitshow (2:53 in a cold nor'easter) and that pretty  much wrecked me for the rest of the year.  Base building now, planning to focus on the 5k until further notice.  No spring marathon for me, aiming my training to peak for the 5k in May/June.  Trying to balance work/running is getting harder due to work getting busier, but I'm confident I can get there in 2010.

Runners run

On My Horse

I did it in my first 5k in several months!  16:39 on the track up in Canton New York at the Liberty League Championships!

Sub 16 here I come!

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies with in us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

mikeymike

Congrats, FR, keep it rolling!

Runners run

Doogle

I managed to finally break 17 for 5k too. It's been my goal since October, when I ran 17:16. We have a local series in the UK called "parkrun", which are free to enter 5k races/time trials every Saturday morning. There's always a good turnout. I did my first one in October in 17:16, knocking 34 seconds off my previous PB (course is a flat and fast out and back). Last week I improved to 17:06 (although had a chesty cough which didn't help). So Saturday just gone I went for it again and managed to finish in 16:57!!!! Absolutely delighted with that, although I finished down in 7th place because the front runners were incredible. Winner was a young guy that ran 14:31. But happy with my form. I turn 36 this Friday so not many years left to improve my time over 5k. Anyway, my km splits were:

1. 3:20
          2. 3:27
          3. 3:24
          4. 3:31
          5. 3:13

Was very happy with the 3:13 at the end. That pretty much made my sub 17! The only thing I changed in my training to achieve this was to up my weekly mileage from 35mpw to 50 over the past 2 months. Plan to move up to 55-60 mile weeks in the coming months in the hope of shattering my 10k and half marathon PBs Smile

Purdey

Self anointed title

Winner was a young guy that ran 14:31.

Ross Toole.

He is 23 / 24 years old, and primarily a 1500m man I think. 

I know that his recent 5k progression has been:

Sep 09 - 15:44

Oct 09 - 15:36

Dec 09 - 15:01

Feb 10 - 14:31

The boy is having a good winter.   (Understatement).

flovesparko

Great job Father Russia and Doogle,  glad this thread is back alive and you guys are giving hope to the rest of us.  I'm focusing on Boston right now but after that  I like to try and reach the goal.

This goal is still in the pipe dream category for me now but i'm stalking the thread.  Congrats, Doogle and Father Russia!

I did move closer rather than further away.  I've upped my mileage some and will have my first 40 mile week in 15 years this week if I can finish it out as expected Friday.  I'm averaging over 30/week in 2010.  I've felt stronger.  Many of my training runs wander down toward 7:40/mile and I don't feel like I'm pushing it anymore.  I always seemed to find increased comfort zone once I could consistently get my mileage over 40 (then another when I could consistently hit 60 - but have to wait on that). 

If blowing and shoveling snow helps train you for the 5K maybe after this winter this ISN'T a pipe dream... LOL

Good luck this spring everyone! 

Purdey

Self anointed title

If blowing and shoveling snow helps train you for the 5K maybe after this winter this ISN'T a pipe dream...

Shovelling snow probably does have a decent benefit for a 5k.  Run to Win seems to shovel tons of the stuff and his race times are pretty good.

As for blowing?  Dude.....  neglible training effect, but whatever keeps you motivated.

dorunrun

Never got there last year...didn't really come close.  My fall marathon was a shitshow (2:53 in a cold nor'easter) and that pretty  much wrecked me for the rest of the year.  Base building now, planning to focus on the 5k until further notice.  No spring marathon for me, aiming my training to peak for the 5k in May/June.  Trying to balance work/running is getting harder due to work getting busier, but I'm confident I can get there in 2010.

I wondered how it went. Yeh, seems like with a little more 5K focus you'll have no problem. One suggestion, if I may...? I saw you did some 300's, but you didn't mention times. You might try "mile pace" for 300's or better yet 400's, w/400 jog (cutting recovery down to sub-2:00).  I noticed you were doing 1 min. "on"/ 1 min. "off", but if they were at 5K pace, I don't think they were fast enough. Looks like you can run CURRENT 5K pace all day long. The "mile pace" stuff really helped me and I think it may be your missing link. Just a suggestion tho. Speedwork is all probably out the window with the winter you guys have had! Good luck & keep after it!

I turn 36 this Friday so not many years left to improve my time over 5k.

nice run, and happy birthday, but i beg to differ on the age thing. i think you have another decade to improve if you stay healthy and can keep it up mentally. as for me, i PR'd in 17:09 this weekend. another 10 seconds seems like a long way to go though.

easyrunner

oh dear i am 45 (am i the oldest here?) and took up running 3 years ago after a 20 + year break, gone from sub 20 to sub 18 in 12 months with no speedwork and am looking this year to lose a few more pounds and hit some hard intervals and see my real max, my 100m speed has not declined that much since 17 years old surprisingly so the genes may be on my side?

anyway I will know within a year or so whether I have one final step up within me, once you have given the 101% you know exactly what is left at the bottom of the barrell and no point dreaming of what might be....

having some real fun with the furman 3 days a week running schedule for the marathon in may 2010 that happens to have some tasty interval sessions....

As for blowing?  Dude.....  neglible training effect, but whatever keeps you motivated.

That snow blower was the most useful present I ever got!  In any case it kept me from missing 6-8 weeks with back problems.  That's a great training effect IMO

Got 41 miles in last week.  Anytime my average weekly miles have been higher than 35 I've been able to break 18 in 5K.  I ran 17:07 while averaging 36 MPW over the preceeding 3 months (I was really lacking a base almost all the time).  Of course, that was 16 years ago too.  I'll just continue to build a base and see where it takes me in the months ahead.

uwonder - hope you're right, just turned 35

mikeymike

Speaking of shoveling snow, I'm actually starting to suspect that I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder while shoveling heavy wet snow in early March.  It's in the only thing that hurts, currently, on my entire body.  And it really hurts.  It doesn't affect my running though, so it's basically just an inconvenience.  Well except that it sometimes affects my sleeping but I've been so tired when I've hit the rack lately it hasn't mattered.

I'm bumping this thread to say that the dream is still alive.  I had left this thread behind planning to only circle back if and when I finally cracked 17, but inspired by the Eddy Lee story on LetsRun, I decided to check back in here on what I started and share the highs and lows with some people who might actually be able to understand this foolish quest.

I ran easy base for early winter, took some down time in early March due to vacation and work travel but have been training seriously now for a solid month.  I'm trying to focus an entire season on making myself a 5k runner, aiming my training at a few 5k races between May 30th and July 11th.  I'm probably going to run on 5k before that, on May 1st, but I'm not expecting too much at that one as it will be before the real 5k peaking workouts start to kick in.  It's more of a check point.

It's tough, mentally, to stick with the plan right now because none of the workouts I'm doing give me much feedback on my fitness--it's a lot of stuff by time only--and I haven't raced since the fall.  Plus it being Spring marathon season there are lots people doing some huge workouts and turning in some awesome race performances, making it harder to sit tight and not start racing my ass off just yet.  I'm not a patient person by nature.  I definitely feel a different king of fitness building and I'm trying to keep the faith and not stray from the plan.

So here are my last 4 weeks of training and I'll go back to posting weekly, hopefully until I do it:

3/15 -- 67 miles in 8 runs.

key workouts:

1) 8 x 1 min @ 5k effort / 3 min jogs

2) 8 x 30 second hills / 2 min recoveries

3) 14 mile long run, easy pace

3/22 -- 71 miles in 8 runs.

workouts:

1) 8 x 3 min @ 5k / 3 min jogs

2) a whole bunch of strides and drills

3) 14 mile long run, easy pace

3/29 -- 70 miles in 8 runs.

workouts:

1) 4 x 4 min on / 3 min off

2) 8 x 400 (79) jog 400

3) 15 mile hilly long run (Breakheart)

4/5 -- 68 miles in 7 runs.

workouts:

1) 5 x 4 min on / 3 min off

2) a whole bunch of strides and drills

3) 16 mile long run, steady pace

Onward.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

king of fitness

Nice Freudian slip.

Good luck, brother.

Mikey - fill the void and start a new thread goal of sub-17 on LR? 

Looks like your fitness is coming around. Do you have a target race(s). How many weeks to prepare.

I'd like to say that I could join this endeavor but feel like I am light-years away. Ran 17:39 this morning and have never considered 5k-specific work. I'll be lurking. Intrigued now.