Chicago area info for a worried Dad (Read 155 times)

Member Since 2008

my daughter is graduating from college and is moving to Chicago.  She found an apartment in the Gage Park area, does anyone have any information on this area.  I'm just a little concerned and not familiar with the city, thank you for your help

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Member Since 2008

Sorry, that was gage park

Joann Y

I don't know anything about that neighborhood other than it being really far south and pretty far west which means it can potentially be very sketchy or might be just fine. I wonder what her reason for picking that neighborhood? Random? Unless she knows people down there and/or has a particular reason to live there (like work) and has done her research, I wouldn't recommend the area unless you have personally driven over there and spent some time walking around and checking it out yourself. There are plenty of other neighborhoods in Chicago with a lot more going on for young people. If she's got to be south, why not Hyde Park?

Kalsarikännit

I wonder what her reason for picking that neighborhood?

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing the "why" of that call.

There are very good neighborhoods on the SW side, by Midway. Bungalow belt, lots of cops.  It just isn't where I would want to be as a young person.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Member Since 2008

She has never been to Chicago and I have only driven through a couple of times.  She is going there totally blind, without a job or anything.  She found the apartment on Craigslist after searching for several months.  She is a dance major so she will be struggling.

Joann Y

She has never been to Chicago and I have only driven through a couple of times.  She is going there totally blind, without a job or anything.  She found the apartment on Craigslist after searching for several months.  She is a dance major so she will be struggling.

Then Gage Park is probably one of the last places I would choose to live. What are her interests? You can almost pick a neighborhood based on that. There are cheap apartments to be found anywhere, for the most part.

Really the question is, what is her motivation for moving here? What does she want to get out of it?

Member Since 2008

Well, she is 22, she will be trying to get on with a dance company after she gets there.  I suppose she could always find a better neighborhood after she gets there if she doesn't like gage park.

Joann Y

Well, she is 22, she will be trying to get on with a dance company after she gets there.  I suppose she could always find a better neighborhood after she gets there if she doesn't like gage park.

I guess...    if she doesn't move home after a year of being miserable trying to drive everywhere in a city that is infinitely walkable, bikable, runnable, trainable, bussable, etc etc.

Member Since 2008

Is the bus system that bad there?

Joann Y

Is the bus system that bad there?

The bus system is great here. Gage Park is just really far from everything. I'm guessing 1-1.5 hours door to door on public transit to get anywhere you would want to do something.