What are track meetings? (Read 516 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Hi there, I have been roped into attending a local track meeting tonight, he said it will do wonders for my speed. The thing is I am very nervous because I don't know what to expect. Do any of you go to a track meeting and if so what do they normally involve? I am not exactly quick, and I am so nervous about it.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Track meetings generally mean meets, in other words competitions. Sounds like a local all-comers meet, unless the word means something different in the old world. All comers meets are pretty informal and fun. You show up, there are sign-up sheets for events. You sign up for one or more races, somebody says, "read, set, go" and you run. At the end you shake hands and laugh and go for a beer.

Runners run

Scout7

Yeah, like mikey said, although I wasn't sure if maybe it was like a club having training at the track. I know the one local running club to me has Tuesday night track training. If that's the case, it's usually a prescribed workout, and you run that.

Slow-smooth-fast

yeah it is a workout every tues, sorry for the vagueness, I will soon see anyway.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

It sounds like you will be doing "interval" training. In really basic terms, interval training is a type of workout where you run at a fast tempo (typically around 5K pace) for set intervals (typically multiples of 400 meters) for a set number of repetitions (typically 4-12) with a recovery/rest period between each interval (typically 30-120 seconds). So for example, an interval workout might be described as "4 x 800 with 45 seconds recovery." This means intervals of 800 meters at tempo followed by 45 seconds of walking/jogging. Repeat 4 times. You'll probably also do some warmup and cooldown running, and perhaps some stretching too.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Slow-smooth-fast

did the track running, really enjoyed it, as it was a mixed ability. We did 8x600m with 1minute rest. I averaged 6:30 mile pace, so was very happy with that.