Slowness is killing me (Read 261 times)

Dojotoad

I'm an older guy (52) and getting back into running after a very long layoff.  I have been running and walking consistently for 9 mos. and seem to be doing much better walking than running.

Long walk of 5.5 miles I can hold a 13:30 pace which I think is decent.

But on even shorter runs of 2 to 3 miles, I have a hard time cracking a 9-minute pace which I think is fairly slow.

Most of my runs are in the 2 to 4 mile range and I either run or walk every other day - but recently started back-to-back once per week.

25 years ago I ran a 5K in 20:18.  My current pace indicates just under 30 minutes.  I know there is drop off with age, but 50% slower seems excessive.

Thoughts?

zebano

While age certainly had an effect, maybe not running for 25 years had a bigger one. Walking IME just doesn't have much carryover to running unless you're using it as recovery during intervals ala Couch 2 5k. Make sure you're running at as easy an effort as possible to build the aerobic system, have patience.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Thoughts are to not worry about trying to run a fast pace for a couple months. Focus on total mileage per week, slowly increasing by a mile per week. Even if you have to take a couple walking breaks, just focus on completing mileage several times per week at an easy pace. Do a few 2-3 mile runs during the week and then a long run on the weekends of 4-6 miles but all at an easy pace. Try to complete runs without having to take a walk break before you start trying to push the pace.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Purdey

Self anointed title

25 years ago I ran a 5K in 20:18.  My current pace indicates just under 30 minutes.  I know there is drop off with age, but 50% slower seems excessive.

Thoughts?

A quarter of a century can have an effect.

Dojotoad

Thanks for the feedback.  I realize that walking doesn't translate directly to running gains, but it can't hurt, right?  Being older, I'm more prone to injury.  So I figured change it up, less impact and still get time on feet along with some cardio.

My frustration is that I have been running and walking with little pace improvement.  I started close to 10 minute pace for running and have gotten it down to 9:15 or 9:30 depending on the day.  So I'm moving the needle, just very slowly.  Maybe I just need more patience - think I would have picked some of that up over the years.

My first live 5K is Feb. 20th.  Don't know how accurate my car odometer has been on training routes, but the race should give me a true picture of where I actually am.  Then I'll see about increasing mileage and adding speedwork.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Patience!  Keep working at it, and just because you are older now doesn't been you should avoid quality runs like intervals and tempo runs.  Older doesn't translate to being more injury prone, but it does mean you  may need more time for recovery,and improvement may be slower.   Whether that means more rest days or easy walks is more a personal preference.  You may also need a longer, more gradual warm up before trying to run hard or fast.  I've also found that I lose speed more rapidly than I lose endurance, and conversely it takes longer to regain my speed than my endurance after a layoff or reduction in training volume and intensity.  While you probably won't ever get back to running 20:00 5Ks, you can improve with increased training.  It's probably even more important now to follow the basic training principles of an easy day or days between hard or long runs, and to not overdo it on your hard days.  Be sure you have some variety in your runs, both in pace and distance, so you don't get stuck in a rut.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

jeffdonahue

I guess it depends how you define slow.  when I run my easy runs I am about a 9:30-10:00 pace, and have been like that for a long time.  but, I've also run an 18:53 5K and a 1:08:13 10 mile race.   Easy runs should be easy - don't worry about the pace.  If you are struggling to run a 9 minute pace in your easy  runs you are running them too hard.  Should be conversational pace.

Training runs are training runs - you don't win anything for getting a PR in a training run.  Run your easy runs easy, hard runs hard and save the hardest efforts for race day (when races start up again).

I'm an older guy (52) and getting back into running after a very long layoff.  I have been running and walking consistently for 9 mos. and seem to be doing much better walking than running.

But on even shorter runs of 2 to 3 miles, I have a hard time cracking a 9-minute pace which I think is fairly slow.

Most of my runs are in the 2 to 4 mile range and I either run or walk every other day - but recently started back-to-back once per week.

Thoughts?

I am 60 and would love to be able to run one 9 minute mile.

have you gained weight?

i would get a watch

i agree you need to slowly add miles.

also you should not run most of your miles fast

SMART Approach

I commend you for mixing in walking especially in off days as it is great for recovery and also fine to include during your training runs. As mentioned above you are likely not training optimally. I am 54 and can run a 7 min pace 5K. My training runs and long runs are in the 8:45 - 9:15 pace range and 80% of my miles. Thus is comfy pace for me.  I then mix in striders and other faster stuff like tempos or intervals or hills 1-2 days per week. This time of year only once per week.

If your 5K race pace right now is 9:30 min/mile then your easy pace is 11:00 - 12:00 min pace. Build your miles and endurance with more of these paces and your aerobic base will get stronger allowing you to run faster for longer. Happy to send you my article HOW TO TRAIN SMARTER if you message me. Get your miles weekly to 25 plus and long run building up to 8-10 miles. 4 days per week of running now is good. Walk before runs to warm up. Walk between runs for recovery and be very gradual on build up. For next 3 months focus just on these easy runs vs just trying to race hard to get under 9 min pace. Your endurance is holding you back and not your leg speed. 2 times per week mix in a handful of striders to get the legs to turn over. All other miles keep very comfy.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Dojotoad

Thanks again everyone for both the advice and the encouragement.  I may not break 20 minutes in a 5K, but I'm starting to see a plan for improvement.  I do have a Coros Pace 2 on the way which should help me with how fast I should be going on a given run, and my first 5K in a bit over 2 weeks should give a good baseline to set goals.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Someone on RA referred me to the below site/tool when I first started out to be able to calculate prescribed training paces based off current ability. This already factors in goals for slow, steady improvement so be honest with your current ability.

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

Also, nothing has been mentioned about the shoes you are using. How old are your current running shoes and have you been fitted at a local running store? If you only have 1 pair, you will wear them out quickly at 20+ miles per week so I would have a pair for easy runs/walking and another pair used for long or fast runs. Get whatever is most comfortable and new is better than expensive so don't worry about spending $150 on the latest model.

Running apps on your phone will be better than nothing but if you are looking to take running seriously over the next few years, invest in a decent GPS watch. You don't need an $800 watch but something with true GPS made for running. I have the Garmin 45 for only $200 and it works just fine for me.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-ELECTRONIC.html

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Mooser316

Thoughts?

Run faster.

Dojotoad

Run faster.

Wait, what?  That’s all there is to it?

Mooser316

Wait, what?  That’s all there is to it?

I'm a problem solver

lagwagon

some good suggestions above...i'm with Andy/Tchuck, i think you'll find volume is the key.  run lots, mostly slow as the saying goes.

another thought is to consider working out with someone occasionally.  it'll change your perception and maybe get you into a different zone.

stay healthy and i'd wager you can get quite a bit faster.

btw, if youre open to it consider making your log public, it'll help others give good advice.