First time I've ever been ticketed while running in Chicago (Read 1483 times)

JimR

Railway police will have little sympahy for trespassers and there are very good reasons for this.  Tresspasser strikes (trains hitting tresspassers) are a huge problem, far too many people take these ROW lands for granted.  These strikes are more often than not fatal, it isn't exactly easy for train operators to deal with these situations, it ties up the systems for hours on end, it's incredibly costly.  Don't trespass on railway property.

And sometimes where you live is just about what you can afford. You can be damn sure Gaylordsville (as much as I like it now) wasn't my first choice...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Well said Jim.  The cop could have let him off with a warning, but since he didn't, call it lesson learned.  Pay the fine.  Move on, with no more running on railway property.  (I assume it is posted as such)...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Dude, it's really simple. Let me break it down for you.

He gave you a ticket because of that Cardinals ball cap you were wearing. If you want the judge to dismiss this mess you had better show up to court wearing an expensive Cubs jersey.

I wasn't wearing a Cardinals baseball cap at the time.  And believe me since I've been a Cards fan from day one here in Chicago, simply because they impressed me much more than Chicago teams, I know all about the hatred for the Redbirds here. It's actually not that bad though until you get near the drunks @ Wrigley.   I really do believe, no matter what, the cop showed piss poor judgment here.  And collecting more revenue certainly could have been on his mind too.  Especially since Chicago is in a lot of debt right now.

Kalsarikännit

Hey my house is not filled with a lot of junk!  Lots of beer maybe, but not junk.

Personally I do not knock people who like the city, it's just not my thing.  I hate crowds for one thing (go figure that I live in the most densely populated state).

What I like is having a yard that I can take care of.  I like my garden.  That is my sanctuary.  I do not consider it work to be outside taking care of things.  Different strokes for different folks.

Yup.  I can see why someone wouldn't want to live in the city.  There are pros and cons. My point was directed at people that genuinely can't see the pros.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

And collecting more revenue certainly could have been on his mind too.  Especially since Chicago is in a lot of debt right now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than likely that what was on his mind was you talking back and pissing him off than the possibility that Chicago will be 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% less in debt.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Tresspasser strikes (trains hitting tresspassers) are a huge problem, far too many people take these ROW lands for granted.  

I have never really understood how pedestrian strikes happen -- unless you're drunk out of your mind.  The track is only 4ft wide; despite what you learned from cartoons, you do not need to run away from a train on the track -- you can just step off it.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

---Oh, and to the Chicago poster...  Indeed, Carrying a license while running, is that required?  What would have happened had you not shown him any ID?  (Would they have taken you in to the station to verify IDand all that hassle, just for running?)

I wear cutoff jeans everyday I go for a run, thus there's plenty of room for storage in them.  And carrying some extra personal possessions with me doesn't bother me at all.  When it comes to other runners in the Chicago area, I wonder why they're constantly wearing sweatpants in this town?  That's something I never run with. I felt just fine without them today.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's more than likely that what was on his mind was you talking back and pissing him off than the possibility that Chicago will be 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% less in debt.

Nope I was playing Mr. Nice Guy with him.  But after he grabbed my drivers license and started writing the ticket, I did show signs of frustration on my face then.  Most of us would though, given the situation.

Kalsarikännit

Railway police will have little sympahy for trespassers and there are very good reasons for this.  Tresspasser strikes (trains hitting tresspassers) are a huge problem, far too many people take these ROW lands for granted.  These strikes are more often than not fatal, it isn't exactly easy for train operators to deal with these situations, it ties up the systems for hours on end, it's incredibly costly.  Don't trespass on railway property.

2-3 weeks ago there was another person killed by a train around here. They are amazingly frequent. A husband was dropping his wife off at the train station across the tracks from where she needed to be. They were running late. She told him that she could make the train, he said please don't. She ran right out in front of the train and was killed in front of her husband.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

I wear cutoff jeans everyday I go for a run

WTF is this?

xhristopher

2-3 weeks ago there was another person killed by a train around here. They are amazingly frequent. A husband was dropping his wife off at the train station across the tracks from where she needed to be. They were running late. She told him that she could make the train, he said please don't. She ran right out in front of the train and was killed in front of her husband.

That's heartbreaking.

Prince of Fatness

I have never really understood how pedestrian strikes happen -- unless you're drunk out of your mind.  The track is only 4ft wide; despite what you learned from cartoons, you do not need to run away from a train on the track -- you can just step off it.

Most of them in these parts are suicides.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

People run in front of me all the time and rarely are injured, much less killed.

WTF is this?

I'm not the only person who uses cut-off jeans to run in.