12 x 400m (Read 2194 times)

I don't start threads in here too often and I'm in a good mood right now, so I just wanted to share today's workout, which is the same as one I did last month. 12 x 400m on the track, w/a 200m walk/jog recovery (about 50-75m walk, then jogging through to the start of next repeat) and stopping for an ounce or two of water after every 2nd repeat (every 3 laps) when I finished a repeat next to the start/finish line. Here's the times I ran in July and this morning: 07/20: 89, 85, 81, 78 | 75, 74, 74, 74 | 73, 70, 69, 68 - 15:10 total for 4800m 08/16: 80, 77, 74, 71 | 71, 71, 70, 69 | 69, 69, 69, 67 - 14:27 total for 4800m About the improvement that I was looking for, and a good indication to me that in 8 days I stand a good chance of finally going sub 16 in the 5k (or if not hitting it in September.) A month ago, I had about 3 weeks of speed work behind me, now I have about 7 weeks of speed work. Today's effort was much easier as well. Both workouts were done solo, although my wife was stretching on the track for most of today's workout.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

Damn Blaine. Those are a thing of beauty.

Runners run

HermosaBoy

The progression between intervals is what most impresses me! Running comfortably hard for the first 2 sets, but picking it up nicely to finish with a nice 4:32 pace on the last one. Run to Win > 5k!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Running comfortably hard for the first 2 sets, but picking it up nicely to finish with a nice 4:32 pace on the last one.
          Just to be clear, there was no difference between the 3 sets, I just put the markers in there to differentiate the miles. I took the same 200m walk/jog between all 12 (w/every other getting an additional stop to get a few swigs of water) although I did take a little extra time on later ones as I got tired.

Run to Win

Just Be

Nice, man! Too bad we live so far apart. Recently my solo 12x400s have been about the same. It'd be nice to have someone by my side. Edited out some unnecessary info.
            JakeKnight

07/20: 89, 85, 81, 78 | 75, 74, 74, 74 | 73, 70, 69, 68 - 15:10 total for 4800m 08/16: 80, 77, 74, 71 | 71, 71, 70, 69 | 69, 69, 69, 67 - 14:27 total for 4800m
              Phelps. I could hang for the first couple. If I could have a quick beer in between. And we've got to extend that 200m recovery a bit. Out of idle pseudo-scientific simple-minded curiosity ... what's with the steadily decreasing times? Is that your standard workout mode? Why? More to the point, should I be doing that? MTA: Also, at any time during those intervals, did anyone pull up in a car and offer any special services? I'm just wondering.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

A Saucy Wench

I could do that. well. OK, If you made them 200 intervals with a 400 recovery Big grin Nice nice nice! Did your wife stretching on the track help? Cause that could be considered romantic or something.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn, Blaine! I could do one of each interval...assuming I only did one/day. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

PDoe

Nice job, Blaine. I get impressed when people hit under 70 sec consistently. Very nice.
                    Mishka-old log

Blaine, I've been lurking on your training in the coaching forum and silently pulling for you on the sub-16. FWIW, my 16:01 PR followed a workout of 8 x 400 at 68-70. I don't remember what kind of recoveries I took. I know you missed sub-16 on your first big attempt and have another one coming up ~9/14. You have the fitness to do it. Good luck.

You have the fitness to do it. Good luck.
                        Thanks! I know I'm capable, just gotta get that damn monkey off my back... I was originally thinking of waiting until Thursday for my next speed session since I went long yesterday, but I feel pretty good so I might do it tomorrow night after all where I'll have people to chase. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do next week (4 or 5 days before the 5k attempt) but will probably do something between 400 and 800 meters. It won't be very high in volume though, I want to make sure that I recover.

Run to Win