What the Hoka? (Read 1563 times)

Been hearing a lot about these shoes http://gear.runnersworld.com/2010/06/what-the-hoka.html . I saw a guy wearing at the Grand Canyon when I ran Rim2Rim2Rim and couldn't stop staring at these strange shoes.  They are not necessarily good to train in all the time, but are supposed to good for really long races (helps avoid some of the post-race soreness) or wearing after you've run something that has beat up your legs. They have several kinds including trail shoes.  Has anyone tried them and what to you think? They seem to be taking minimalist shoes to the other extreme - antiminimalist.  I'd be worried I would turn an ankle in them especially on the trails, but several ultra runners swear by them and say no problems with ankle turns.  A says he wore them for 5 hundred mile races set 3 PRs and he credits the shoes.  At first I just thought these were some kind of new gimmick, but I am wondering if they might have a purpose at times.  They are expensive so probably won't be buying them anytime soon.

A review here http://karafiath.blogspot.com/2011/03/julies-review-of-hoka-bondi-running_04.html

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Imminent Catastrophe

They look like Moon Boots.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I love mine. 

Regarding the anti-minimalist:  sort of.  They are huge and not very flexible, but they are very light... something like 8-9oz / pair.  And the heel to midfoot drop is only 2mm... less than most minimalist shoes.

They rock on long downhills. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I love mine. 

Regarding the anti-minimalist:  sort of.  They are huge and not very flexible, but they are very light... something like 8-9oz / pair.  And the heel to midfoot drop is only 2mm... less than most minimalist shoes.

They rock on long downhills. 

I bet they do, I could have used those last weekend.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Right on Hereford...

Mackey just won the American River 50 in them.

http://davemackey.blogspot.com/2011/04/american-river-50-race-report.html

I tried them on about a year ago when I was buying some new trail shoes at the Boulder Running Co........sales person thought I would get a kick out of them or maybe he figured me for a sucker.  In any regard, they really were comfortable and very cushiony.......and very light.  I was surprised.  However, they were just too radical and EXPENSIVE for my taste.  Oh, well.....to each, his own.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Look like a gimmick to me. Didn't Nike bring out a super cushioned shoe like this a few years ago and then discontinue it?

With minimalist being so trendy it's good to see someone going maximalist.  I think they are out in front of the next thing here.

Runners run

Purdey

Self anointed title

You need a pair of these Mikey:

I have a pair but in green with white stripes.

Runners run

I was chatting with a guy at last Thursday's Shamrock tempo run that knows a guy that swears by them.  I asked because he was wearing a similar shoe without the lift.  And I'm pretty sure Wrigley Girl said something nice about 'em not too long ago, so they're OK by me.

And just so we don't stay on topic, here's What the Haka

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

Everybody I knows who has tried the Hoka here loves them.  Trails and roads.  However, the first version apparently has a weirdly long tongue which has bothered two friends enough that they did shoe surgery.

One of my about-to-run-badwater friends was all set to do it in hokas, but I think she's changed her mind again.

Yeah, the uppers definitely need some "finishing" work... the tongue is too big and there's a bit of a break-in period.  I think the newer models have addressed some of that.  Another gripe I have is they stop at Men's US 12.5... and I really need a 13.0.   I think they are now making 13.0 sizes though.

Regarding the expense:  yeah, they are $170/pair at the Boulder Running Company.  The claimed life is 750 miles though, so the per mile cost is cheaper than any other shoe I run in (at least for me... I get about 300 miles out of my Inov-8 shoes), assuming they really do last that long.  I have about 500-ish miles on mine without any issues. 

They are weird as hell, but out of everyone I've talked to who's tried them, everyone but one person (Peter Bakwin of double Hardrock fame) has loved them. Peter thinks they are interesting, but too weird.

Plus it's cool being 6'6" and looking like Shrek.

xor

He would grind my bones to use for his bread.

He would grind my bones to use for his bread.

Not if you leave your glasses...