cellulite (Read 2021 times)

Are lunges OK for people with iffy knees? My knees have been OK lately but I feel it if I stress them out like a lot of hiking or whatnot. I feel like lunges put a lot of pressure on my knees, is that true or not? If so, what is a good alternative for those of us with iffy knees who still want to work the tush (I am currently doing donkey kicks as suggested earlier in the thread).
    2009 Goals:
    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
    Run a 10K
    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
    Complete my first Sprint Tri

SMART Approach

Are lunges OK for people with iffy knees? My knees have been OK lately but I feel it if I stress them out like a lot of hiking or whatnot. I feel like lunges put a lot of pressure on my knees, is that true or not? If so, what is a good alternative for those of us with iffy knees who still want to work the tush (I am currently doing donkey kicks as suggested earlier in the thread).
      If done in tip top form lunges are fine. BUT, if you can't do them like I stated previous then don't do them if you have "iffy" knees. But, the fact you have "iffy" knees means you need to do strength work. I would do a Swiss Ball squat. Lean against ball with it against the wall. Position your knees above your ankles shoulder width or slightly wider and squat down keeping heels on floor or even lifting toes up through out. Squat down, push up from heels. Go down as low as you feel comfortable put not below parallel with floor. Also, leg press machines would be good if you have access to a gym.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks TChuck, I'll give those a try. I agree, I definitely need to strenghten without aggravating my knees.
        2009 Goals:
        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
        Run a 10K
        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
        Complete my first Sprint Tri
          I'm not sure how this would work for cellulite exactly, but in my opinion, the burpee is the ultimate form of bodyweight exercise that requires no additional equipment (other than your own bad self). Here's a description of what I'm talking about: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm I recommend doing them in "descending sets" as described here: http://www.geocities.com/rutgerseskrima/art_prison.html This workout won't make you bulky, but will tone nearly every muscle between your neck and your ankles.
          I tried the burpee Monday morning. Man!!! Those will kick your butt!!! no pun intended. I could only do 10. I did 4 sets of ten, but spread out over an hour. I am still sore. Very hard indeed!

- Anya

Trigirl

I find cellulite a funny thing....in some lighting I'm pretty proud of myself and figure all the hard swimming, biking and running I have done has actually paid off in the appearance department, only to be in a store trying on clothes the very next day noticing that the back of legs are not nearly as smooth as the day before! My best advice would be continue doing lots of cardio work outs (running, etc) as I think this is the best thing you can do. Although I believe other types of training (ie/ burpees, yoga etc) may be beneficial, I don't believe it will do much for cellulite....unfortunately. Damn genetics!!! lol....

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

SMART Approach

I find cellulite a funny thing....in some lighting I'm pretty proud of myself and figure all the hard swimming, biking and running I have done has actually paid off in the appearance department, only to be in a store trying on clothes the very next day noticing that the back of legs are not nearly as smooth as the day before! My best advice would be continue doing lots of cardio work outs (running, etc) as I think this is the best thing you can do. Although I believe other types of training (ie/ burpees, yoga etc) is beneficial, I don't believe it will do much for cellulite....unfortunately. Damn genetics!!! lol....
              Trigirl, I can't believe you have cellulite with that lean, ripped physique??? Confused I think you have pretty good genes!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I don't believe it will do much for cellulite....unfortunately. Damn genetics!!! lol....
                Cellulite and stretch marks are the bane of my existence. Again, genetics. I'm just thankful I didn't inherit my mom's horrible varicose veins. Black eye

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

Trigirl, I can't believe you have cellulite with that lean, ripped physique??? Confused I think you have pretty good genes!
                  Dude, for real! If Trigirl has cellulite I'm just going to throw in the towel.
                    I'm not sure how this would work for cellulite exactly, but in my opinion, the burpee is the ultimate form of bodyweight exercise that requires no additional equipment (other than your own bad self). Here's a description of what I'm talking about: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm I recommend doing them in "descending sets" as described here: http://www.geocities.com/rutgerseskrima/art_prison.html This workout won't make you bulky, but will tone nearly every muscle between your neck and your ankles.
                    mmm, also called the 8 count pushup. I freakin hate those! They are hard tho and I imagine pretty good for you...
                      mmm, also called the 8 count pushup. I freakin hate those! They are hard tho and I imagine pretty good for you...
                      They hurt my toes, when I push off, I feel it on the top part of my foot. Can't do them. Darn Evil grin

- Anya

Hey, nice marmot!

They hurt my toes, when I push off, I feel it on the top part of my foot. Can't do them. Darn Evil grin
                        Huh. Were you doing them with shoes on or barefoot? I always did them with shoes on (mainly for traction). I don't know that it would make much of a difference, but it does seem that barefoot might make them more traumatic. For the record though, you could just break them up. Do a bunch of squats were you "jump" back up, do some pushups, and do some crunches. That should work pretty much all of the same areas. Either way, good luck.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Huh. Were you doing them with shoes on or barefoot? I always did them with shoes on (mainly for traction). I don't know that it would make much of a difference, but it does seem that barefoot might make them more traumatic. For the record though, you could just break them up. Do a bunch of squats were you "jump" back up, do some pushups, and do some crunches. That should work pretty much all of the same areas. Either way, good luck.
                          I guess I have woss feet. When I put my weigh on my toes, and push off, it strains the top part of my upper foot/toe area. Maybe I'll try you're suggestion. I tried going really slow, to see if that would help, but my feet would still hurt.

- Anya

Trigirl

lol.....thanks....my husband tells me I'm crazy when I say things like that but like most women, I'm very critical of myself and see things differently than everyone else does!  But I'm really not that hung up on it because I force myself to appreciate what my body allows me to do instead of what it looks like! 

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

shonan marathon, girl

i understand what trigirl is saying here.  women are overcritical of themselves.  but i look at it this way now that i am age 46.  to be healthy and have a body that is able to once again run marathons, swim and bike, means more to me than anything else. last summer i was so sick that i couldnt even begin to think when i would be able to exercise again.  i saw so many people with cancer who were worried if they would be around next year.  my body isnt perfect and i dont give a damn.  i no longer look at my imperfections and look at my positive aspects now.  i have only one body and i want to take good care of it and treat it well. 

i think if you just keep running you might just lose that cellulite you hate so much.  i have a friend that has lost a major amount of weight but just cant get rid of the cellulite around her knees.  all i can tell her is to keep running and give it more time.  it wasnt until my 4th year of running that i significantly dropped weight and lowered my body fat.  everything in life takes hard work, patience and time. 

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

i understand what trigirl is saying here.  women are overcritical of themselves.  but i look at it this way now that i am age 46.  to be healthy and have a body that is able to once again run marathons, swim and bike, means more to me than anything else. last summer i was so sick that i couldnt even begin to think when i would be able to exercise again.  i saw so many people with cancer who were worried if they would be around next year.  my body isnt perfect and i dont give a damn.  i no longer look at my imperfections and look at my positive aspects now.  i have only one body and i want to take good care of it and treat it well. 

i think if you just keep running you might just lose that cellulite you hate so much.  i have a friend that has lost a major amount of weight but just cant get rid of the cellulite around her knees.  all i can tell her is to keep running and give it more time.  it wasnt until my 4th year of running that i significantly dropped weight and lowered my body fat.  everything in life takes hard work, patience and time. 

+1000

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"