My First Race - (In 15 years anyway) (Read 371 times)

Kill

When I quit smoking, I signed up for a 5 mile race in early May, but since I'm ahead of where I thought I'd be, I signed up for an earlier 5 miler that was held today. I ran the Flapjack 5 Miler today held at White Rock Lake in Dallas. It was cold, gray, and very windy. It was an interesting race (IMO) - as it was age handicapped. I thought it was fantastic watching the golden age groups of 70-80+ getting a head start (by as much as 30 minutes!). I was shivering and running in place a bit while I waited for my start time. Being 40, I got a whopping 1 minute handicap! Woohoo! It turned out to be a great run around the lake, even though it started pretty cold and lightly snowing at the end, I was comfortable temperature wise after the first mile. It was a little discouraging when all the young guys (with no handicap) passed me like I was walking (I was going around 9:30 at that point), but by mile 2, I got my turn to pass a few people. While I didn't win a trophy or a medal, I did win these after the race: Even better than a medal in my book. I looked at some early results they had posted before I left. I thought it was amazing that 2 50 yo men took first and second, with third place taken by a 44 yo woman. I totally thought that one of the young bucks with rocket feet surely would have won. Anyway, I had a great run, a lot of fun, and beat my previous 5 mile time by 8 minutes.

Passion is a rather frightening thing because if you have passion you don't know where it will take you.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

va

Congrats Bonkin!
        How fun! sounds like a great race and way to go beating your time! Big grin
        Jennifer mm#1231