Help for a newbie!! (Read 128 times)

Larryterri

I played soccer with my teen the other day and decided it was time to get into shape. I am 38 years old, 5'10" and 175 lbs. I started running on Wednesday, and did .5 miles. Yesterday I did 1.07 miles and today I did 1.25 miles. 10 minutes for the 1.07 and 13 minutes for the 1.25.

So I have a couple questions:

- Am I overdoing it, or underdoing it? Today when I ran the 1.25 I had to walk about 25 yards of it. I am planning on running everyday.

- My feet feel like two anvils. I do not feel like I am gliding over the concrete at all.

- Should I run on the balls of my feet, or heel to toe, or some other way?

- I dont have running shoes, I ran the .5 and the 1.07 in clogs, and the 1.25 in work shoes. Would this make a big difference?

- My shins and calves are killing me, is this normal?

- I am getting winded pretty fast, is this something that will improve?

GinnyinPA

Get to a good running store (not Dicks) and get fitted for good shoes that fit your kind of foot.  What kind of arch and how you roll your feet make a difference.  Wearing bad shoes and running too hard is probably why you hurt right now.  Give your legs a few days rest and start over.

Don't try to run every day right now.  You need time for your muscles and tendons to heal after stressing them.  Rest is an important part of building muscle. Doing too much too soon will lead to injury or mental burn out.  If you want to get more fit, find an alternate activity for cross training:  swimming, biking, weights, yoga, etc.

Look up the C25k (couch to 5k) program.  It has started a lot of us running.  It's half an hour, 3x week.  You start with 2 min. walking, 2 minutes running, and end up six weeks later doing 30 minutes total running.  You'll be able to see real progress, without doing so much that you get injured.

When you are running, run slowly.  Don't try to run all out, do a slow easy jog.  You should be able to speak whole sentences as you run.  That slow. The more miles you do, the better your aerobic fitness will be, but it takes time to build it.  By going slowly, you can run farther.

Larryterri

That all makes sense and I checked out that c25k site, I will start following that. Thank you very much!

endurancerunning

Have to agree with Ginny!

Get yourself a good pair of running shoes, it will make such a difference! You get what you pay for in life so don't opt for cheap alternatives as long term you may pay for it!

Also I would not run everyday as you may end up with injuries that you could have avoided if you had followed a good plan.

Good luck!

adavis58

Gotta agree with Ginny,

the right pair of running shoes will make all the difference in the world.

Do not attempt to run every day as you will risk injury.

Cross training is an excellent idea for your days off from running, such as weight training, cycling and swimming.

Art

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

TJoseph

I think running every day is fine.  I just started again at the beginning of the year and have run about six days a week from the first day.  Everyone is different and just go by feel.  Not every run is going to feel great and in the beginning all runs feel hard, but just go by feel.  It definately gets easier as you get into better condition.  The first two or three weeks you are going to be out of breath on every run and you will be sore the first week or so, but you will improve quickly.  Try to run at an easy effort that allows you to talk comfortably, although that probably won't be possible in the first couple of weeks.  If you think you need a day off, take a day off.  I plan to run every day, and take days off when life gets in the way (like travelling all day yesterday) or when my legs feel dead.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Slow down

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Slow down

+1

Welcome.  It's always great to meet a new runner.

Many new runners like the C25K plans, for good reason, from what I hear.  Good luck.

I don't know what will work for you, and I'm not a professional, but I was once in your shoes.  Here's how I came back to running about 11 years ago (age 33), after 10 years or so away.  I started with a slow pace for 10 minutes without stopping.  I did not attempt to measure distance.  I deliberately chose a pace which was almost walking, as I recall.  I ran the same slow 10 minute run five days a week for two weeks.  Then, I added 2 minutes and repeated the two week plan, never trying to run faster or to measure distance.  Adding 2 min every 2 weeks, I followed this build up until I reached 20 minutes of nonstop running.  Having been a runner before, I regained lost fitness and speed over these six months of relatively slow repetative runs.

My advice; for the first six months, don't worry about speed.  If you run regularly and keep yourself uninjured, speed will take care of itself.  So too, will getting in shape.

Rse

Slow down

+1

Welcome to Running Smile

Fran

Roadrunner's Apprentice

Stay off your heels and hit the ground mid-foot.  Shortening your stride will help you do this.  Your knees will thank you for it.

As for the shins/calves:  you're building up new muscles, it'll take time to strengthen them.  Soreness that feels better the next day can be expected, but you should not have pain.  Meanwhile, ice them after a run.  I went through this too.  Eventually you will get to the point where you can do a "normal" run and not feel it much if at all.

2014 Goals:

- sub-26 5K : sub-56 10K : 1st half marathon

- Tell my excuses to shut up and lace up...