Do you have a GPS? (Read 6909 times)

Hi guys, As I start work on importing GPS, I need to take a survey of what you're using: 1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? YES! 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. XP - SP2, Firefox 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. I, like many others, really like the MotionBased functionality. If I could have my map, interval/splits data, and total time/pace data upload to this site, I'd be thrilled. I haven't had time lately to update all my runs here. So anything that's fairly simple is my best bet. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help! eric Smile
    Thanks Eric for all your hard work!! mg
    Vancouver Marathon - May 6
    crazygonuts123

Hi guys, As I start work on importing GPS, I need to take a survey of what you're using: 1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? YES! 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Mac OSX latest 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. get distance, time, and COURSE MAP, and also be able to designate courses. But, minimally, it would get the time/distance data. That's all I can think of for now. Thanks for your help! eric Smile
        I use a forerunner 301 and windows XP SP2. I'd like to be able to upload the route i've run along with the date, time etc. I'd like to be able to choose from the runs that are on the forerunner - so if i've used ot for 3 or 4 runs but only want to upload one of them i can specify which one (some other running sites only allow you to either upload all or upload the most recent one - this doesn't work for me as i have 2 years of data i don't want to upload but the one i do want to upload may not always be the most recent one?) once uploaded i'd like to be able to edit my route - my forerunner isn't always as accurate as i'd like and ocasionally has me running through a mountain or in the sea! so if i could correct that sort of thing it would be great. Fab site - i've only recently found it and I think its really great. Although I do seem to be the only person in New Zealand using it!
        eric :)

I'd like to be able to upload the route i've run along with the date, time etc. I'd like to be able to choose from the runs that are on the forerunner - so if i've used ot for 3 or 4 runs but only want to upload one of them i can specify which one (some other running sites only allow you to either upload all or upload the most recent one - this doesn't work for me as i have 2 years of data i don't want to upload but the one i do want to upload may not always be the most recent one?)
          Hrm... this is a tough request. It's not hard programmatically, but it's a rare case. I'll have to decide if I should include this as it will extend development time.
          Fab site - i've only recently found it and I think its really great. Although I do seem to be the only person in New Zealand using it!
          There are quite a few New Zealanders here. The best known is probably Kooky2003. Welcome to my site.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eric, Mandy's request is also one I listed. Every time you go to upload GPS data, you will need to pull all the activities from the device as I understand it. There are two steps involved: 1) upload, and 2) import a selection of the uploaded activities into the log. Some of the activities may already have been uploaded. So the upload software will need to deal with conflicts, and the user will need to decide which of all the runs they want to upload to their log. But regardless, the bigger issue is picking which of the activities uploaded from the device the user wants to go into the log. It will nearly always (i.e., not rare) be a subset of what gets uploaded. The way motionbased works is that it uploads all the files and I have to delete all the ones I don't want. So if I store the last 10 runs on my device, every time I want to upload my latest run, I need to delete the other 9. I would prefer that each time I select the one that gets imported.
              There are quite a few New Zealanders here. The best known is probably Kooky2003. Welcome to my site.
              Thanks Eric - I'd just looked on the find routes thing and found none in New Zealand - maybe people keep them private. Anyway its great to know that there are others around!
              The way motionbased works is that it uploads all the files and I have to delete all the ones I don't want. So if I store the last 10 runs on my device, every time I want to upload my latest run, I need to delete the other 9.
              This would stop me using it as I have well over 100 files on my garmin. But I'm happy to draw my routes as well as possible, probably more accurate than my garmin seems to be here anyway! So no worries if its likely to cause delays.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mandy, out of curiosity, why don't you delete your runs from your GPS device?
                eric :)

Eric, Mandy's request is also one I listed. Every time you go to upload GPS data, you will need to pull all the activities from the device as I understand it. There are two steps involved: 1) upload, and 2) import a selection of the uploaded activities into the log. Some of the activities may already have been uploaded. So the upload software will need to deal with conflicts, and the user will need to decide which of all the runs they want to upload to their log. But regardless, the bigger issue is picking which of the activities uploaded from the device the user wants to go into the log. It will nearly always (i.e., not rare) be a subset of what gets uploaded. The way motionbased works is that it uploads all the files and I have to delete all the ones I don't want. So if I store the last 10 runs on my device, every time I want to upload my latest run, I need to delete the other 9. I would prefer that each time I select the one that gets imported.
                  The current plan is that the tool will only upload new entries. The server will track these uploads, and will tell the tool what it hasn't seen before. It's silly to upload everything every time. I'll consider a detailed mode that will let you specify what you want to upload. It's not hard, just more work :-)
                    Mandy, out of curiosity, why don't you delete your runs from your GPS device?
                    My laptop can be quite unstable. Now we're setlled in NZ I'll hopefully have time to take proper backups etc but for a long time I just backed up my photos to disk, left my workouts on my Garmin and assumed I could live without anything else!
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It's silly to upload everything every time.
                      Amen brother, amen! Tell it to Motionbased too!
                      My laptop can be quite unstable.
                      Got it. That does make sense. I never trust a computer and back everything up.
                      sunkid

The current plan is that the tool will only upload new entries. The server will track these uploads, and will tell the tool what it hasn't seen before. It's silly to upload everything every time. I'll consider a detailed mode that will let you specify what you want to upload. It's not hard, just more work :-)
                        I have not piped up here before, although I have followed this (and some other) discussions with quite a bit of interest. Up-front, kudos for a GREAT site, Eric! I have been using it diligently since Trent turned me on to it and am waiting with abated breath for the GPS feature (I also have a Forerunner 305, Mac OS X or XP). That said, I wanted to point out that motionbased indeed only offers to upload runs not yet uploaded before. If you want to allow the user to change her mind about which runs to upload at some later point, your logic of only offering what is new will not work. You could of course offer an import utility that allows the submission of files in some of the standard formats to get around that. However, since I am consistently crashing Garmin Training Center when trying to export a run, this may not work for everyone. As you can see, I am not much help, which is why I have kept quiet for so long! Wink
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

SUNKID!! Good to see you here! Like a Taper shadow... I do agree as well, it would be nice to allow the user to decide what and when to upload. Also, I may upload a workout, then delete it, then decide to reupload. Anything that automatically restricts what I elect to upload will piss off us stupid humans who do things that defy logic. Better to keep it democratic with tools to make it easy to do teh most common tasks (such as picking what I want to import).
                            1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model. Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com? Yes. 3. What computer are you using? Please specify operating system and its version. Apple Macintosh, Mac OS X 10.4.9 (browser usually Safari and sometimes Firefox) 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Please be as descriptive as possible. Everything the others already mentioned. Wink
                              1. Which GPS do you use? Please include brand and model.Garmin Forerunner 305 2. Do you intend on importing your GPS data to RunningAHEAD.com?Yes. 3. What computer are you using? Windows XP Professionel 4. What do you want the importing feature to do? Everything already mentioned. But i like the google maps the best.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

CSURamFan

Timex Trainrunner Would want to import the route data to running ahead. Would love to also be able to import some HR data, elevation, & speed Using Win XP Pro w/ Firefox
                                There is no finish line.