Is it "wrong" to count official split times as PRs? (Read 615 times)

xhristopher

I'm sure my 25 mile, 25.1 mile, 25.2 mile, 25.3 mile, 25.4 mile, and 25.5 mile PRs are all enroute. And some others.

26.3 too!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

26.3 too!

Is it time for a poll about GPS distances versus real distances, and whether to count PRs on the former?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

steve586

Personally, i like to count my official race distances PR's on certified courses  - splits can be off.  But thats my personal thing.  I do not want to comment on the GPS thing, because it will open a can of worms and I'm sure it's already been beat to death many times over.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

No, there's always room for more learned discussion....

Kalsarikännit

Personally, i like to count my official race distances PR's on certified courses  - splits can be off.  But thats my personal thing.  I do not want to comment on the GPS thing, because it will open a can of worms and I'm sure it's already been beat to death many times over.

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/view.asp?division=world&location=road&age=open&sport=LDR

Check out the 20/25/30k results. I'm assuming they aren't guessing at the distances or using some mope's garmin.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Tweeeked

I would count it as an "unofficial time", because obviously if you set a PR in a longer race you can do better in the actual distance. Unless of course, the elevation from the start to the distance is an overall downhill - then it doesn't count.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
              • 10k: sub-36
              • Half: sub-76
              • Full: 2:45 in Boston

Latent Runner

I would count it as an "unofficial time", because obviously if you set a PR in a longer race you can do better in the actual distance. Unless of course, the elevation from the start to the distance is an overall downhill - then it doesn't count.

The distances for the splits for the Half I ran were accurate but not USATF Certified; the outfit putting on the race does USATF races and are very accurate at setting up their split timing strips.

As for whether I could PR in actual 10K, 8-Mile, and 10-Mile races, of that I have no doubt, however, as of today I think the PRs should stand until I'm able to surpass them in an actual race.  Consider the following:

• The only 10K race I've run since I hit my 50s was on a very slippery snow covered course (most folks were between 1 and 2 minutes off their usual finishing time) where I ran only 8 seconds slower than what I did in my Half.
                • The only 8-Mile race I've ever run was nearly five years ago when I was no where near as well conditioned as I am now, hence the assumed 8+ minute delta.
                • The only 10-Mile races I've run were on a really hilly course (where the downhill segments were so steep you had to take them slow or risk crashing), and yet there was only a 1:41 delta (probably less as this years race didn't publish the start offsets and I took at least fifteen seconds to cross the starting mat).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                kcam

Ahh yes,the old "Unless, of course ..." problem.  So many ways to end that statement that I, personally, wouldn't count intermediate times as PRs.  Now, if it is "OFFICIALLY" setup with a chip-timed mat at the proper place and everyone knows about it then I MIGHT consider it a PR. Unless, of course ...

Dream Maker

PRs don't count unless it's an official race.

Splits just tell you that it's time to find a race and get a new PR.

Or if it's a distance you don't care to race, why bother worrying about what your PR is there anyways?  A 44 minute 10K says more nice things than a 22 minute 5K; just use the one.

Latent Runner

Or if it's a distance you don't care to race, why bother worrying about what your PR is there anyways?  A 44 minute 10K says more nice things than a 22 minute 5K; just use the one.

So to use your logic, the 48:24 10K I ran in the snow last year is more valid than then 48:16 split in my Half.  Sorry, cannot wrap my mind around that.  As for finding other 10Ks, they're pretty few and far between in my neck of the woods.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, "official" is not too well-defined in this context.

I have the impression that neither IAAF nor USATF count 10 mile records as "official".

So perhaps from their POV, Colleen De Reuck's 51:16 win at 1998 Cherry Blossom (10mi) is as unofficial as Mary Keitany's 51:05 (if memory serves) 10mi split at RAK (Half) a couple years back. Some woman has since run a faster 10mi, but I don't know if it was an enroute split or a 10mi road race.

since the P stands for personal, you can count anything you want as a "Personal" record.

I used to run this "unknown distance" route with my son and he had a personal record time that he'd always try to beat.   It was simply known as the Lake Arlington 2 mile route, though it was somewhere in the 2.25 mile range, but the exact distance is still unnknown to this day. And it doesn't matter.

On On

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, "official" is not too well-defined in this context.

I have the impression that neither IAAF nor USATF count 10 mile records as "official".

So perhaps from their POV, Colleen De Reuck's 51:16 win at 1998 Cherry Blossom (10mi) is as unofficial as Mary Keitany's 51:05 (if memory serves) 10mi split at RAK (Half) a couple years back. Some woman has since run a faster 10mi, but I don't know if it was an enroute split or a 10mi road race.

I don't feel like copying and pasting the entire road / track / indoor results for men and women so here is just a snippet. Men Outdoor

junior men ratified 10 mi 51:30 Thom Hunt 18
                            open men ratified 10 mi 49:05 Dick Beardsley 26
                            40-44 men ratified 10 mi 51:48 Earl Owens 43
                            40-44 men 10 mi 52:24 Ray Hatton 44
                            45-49 men ratified 10 mi 53:53 Paul Noreen 46
                            50-54 men ratified 10 mi 55:45 Peter Mundle 50
                            55-59 men ratified 10 mi 55:42 Alex Ratelle 56
                            60-64 men ratified 10 mi 59:24 Clive Davies 61
                            65-69 men ratified 10 mi 1:13:29 Ross Bolding 67
                            65-69 men ratified 10 mi 1:16:53 Gary Rech 68
                            70-74 men ratified 10 mi 1:10:36 William Andberg 70
                            75-79 men ratified 10 mi 1:15:53 Ed Benham 77

The USATF does count the 10 mile as an official record.

On On

I think the confusion is if the split is an official time and distance in the race.  As an RD I have specific points that are measured on a course with a split time and those as as accurate as the finish line.  Could someone (or even me) make an error in placing the timing strip and have the split be off, sure, but at a certain point you have to trust those who put on the race.  I have submitted many records to the USATF and they have never questioned my numbers or my course.  The course has to be remeasured according to their standards but even when I had an American Record broken on one of my courses they trusted I put the course out as designed and as it was measured initially.

If it is just a mile marker cone on the side of the road I can see not trusting that as an actual split / PR.  If the race is calling it a split / timing point I would put more faith in that marker.  Also look up the USATF certification and the map of the course.  If the split is designated on that paperwork it is an official point on the course and pre measured to be exactly that distance and I would place a lot more faith in that split and in calling it a PR.

Kalsarikännit

since the P stands for personal, you can count anything you want as a "Personal" record.

Amen.

It's your record. If you want to count only runs of 7.46 miles (measured with a garmin) on a day with a "r" in it when you are wearing blue shoes, go for it. If you choose to make rules for your own personal records that is fine. It is silly to decide those rules apply to anyone else. Other people and the USATF do not get to dictate how you view your running.

And, unofficial and official PR's?  Good grief. It's alternating your right foot and your left. Stop trying to suck the simplicity and joy out of it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart