So would anyone care to explain VO2... (Read 2245 times)

Why is it sideways?

JK, that was your VO2 for the specific activity, as estimated by an imprecise formula. It was not your VO2max. If it were your true VO2max, you'd never get any better.
    This is actually a false statement.
    JakeKnight

JK, that was your VO2 for the specific activity, as estimated by an imprecise formula. It was not your VO2max. If it were your true VO2max, you'd never get any better.
      Whatever. How do I unclog my toilet?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is actually a false statement.
        Which one? There were several statements.

Why is it sideways?

Whatever. How do I unclog my toilet?
          He's not a plumber. He's a doctor.

Why is it sideways?

Which one? There were several statements.
            The last one.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The last one.
                Excellent sleuth work. But it is on the internet. So the last statement must be true. Of course your assertion too is on the internet. If both statements are true and yet contradictory, does that mean cats and dogs will now live together?

Right on Hereford...

Nope. Losing a pound of fat does nothing to your VO2max. When you train or lose weight, you may improve your speed or your efficiency or your cardiac output to the point that you can approach your true VO2max with a given activity's VO2. But ultimately you will bump into your body's maximal ability, its VO2max. This does not change with weight loss or exercise.
                  Trent, I'm not sure why we don't understand each other, here. Body mass is part of the VO2max calculation. Why wouldn't a change in body mass result in a change in VO2max?
                  It is on the internet, so it must be true.
                  That is a lame retort.

Why is it sideways?

Trent, I'm not sure why we don't understand each other, here.
                    I'm pretty sure why. It's because your understanding is the last thing in which Trent is interested.
                      Well, here's one: http://www.exercisestandards.org/vo2.htm
                      From the source you quoted.......... How much of an influence does genetics have upon V02 max? Maximal oxygen consumption levels depend on genetic limits. This should not be taken to mean that each individual has an exact V02 max that cannot be exceeded. Both genetic and environmental factors influence V02 max values. The genetic factors probably establish the boundaries for the athlete, but endurance training can push V02 max to the upper limit of these boundaries. So, they agree that VO2 can be optimized with training to it full genetic potential, VO2 max. Sounds like they are using VO2 max for whatever your personal limit is at that level of training.
                      JakeKnight

He's not a plumber. He's a doctor.
                        Dammit, Jim. I'm a plumber, not a doctor.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

MTA those last 2 lines are mine. And I'm still double posting in case their is some potential advantage.
                            Why wouldn't a change in body mass result in a change in VO2max?
                            Because Body Mass isn't part of the equation. See my previous posts about the Fick Equation.

Right on Hereford...

Trent, you appear to be using the word "VO2max" to refer to some mythical "potential" VO2max for a given individual. I've been referring to VO2max as something that can be measured. I think that's the disconnect.
                                I make it a point never to argue with plumbers about toilets.
                                Give me a call when you start arguing with toilets about plumbers. I have pills for that.