Cheating on your running shoes (Read 1846 times)

My running revival started with Newtons in July 2010.

I've bought six other pairs of Newtons, a couple of racers, one ill-advised stability pair, three trainers.

I have Newton socks and  Newton tech shirt, and if not for Newton, I might not be at a point where I'm making significant progress as a born-again runner.

But after attending a Danny Dreyer workshop, he suggested maybe other shoes might be better for what he's attempting to teach, so I bought a pair of Brooks PureFlows, and fell in love. I'm running a 5K race tomorrow in them instead one of my Newton racing pairs.

I feel like I'm two-timing the Newtons and like I should try to sneak out of my condo before putting the Brooks on.

12-week layoff

I've been cheating on Nike with Asics periodically for years. 

Also, I sometimes sneak out on a run without taking my dog, and I feel even more guilty.  I don't know how I live with myself some days.

I've been cheating on Nike with Asics periodically for years. 

Also, I sometimes sneak out on a run without taking my dog, and I feel even more guilty.  I don't know how I live with myself some days.

Well, when you get into the animate object (well, not an object), then it's even more complicated.

northernman

Fight The Future

My running revival started with Newtons in July 2010.

I've bought six other pairs of Newtons, a couple of racers, one ill-advised stability pair, three trainers.

I have Newton socks and  Newton tech shirt, and if not for Newton, I might not be at a point where I'm making significant progress as a born-again runner.

But after attending a Danny Dreyer workshop, he suggested maybe other shoes might be better for what he's attempting to teach, so I bought a pair of Brooks PureFlows, and fell in love. I'm running a 5K race tomorrow in them instead one of my Newton racing pairs.

I feel like I'm two-timing the Newtons and like I should try to sneak out of my condo before putting the Brooks on.

OK, very interesting! Why does he recommend those shoes? Maybe I want to try some now...Does it help you Chi Run?

It's not so much that Dreyer recommends Brooks PureFlow as much as he's not 100 percent sold on Newtons for Chi Running for all runners.

He's not negative about them, exactly, but says that others (with more cushioning) might work better for some, and since I was thinking of cycling in a non-Newton pair anyway, when he said that,  that was my impetus to buy the Brooks, which seemed closer to minimal shoes (a fairly flat sole, with only 4mm drop from heel to forefoot, and only 9 ounces).

I'm being careful to not paint Danny Dreyer as slamming Newtons. He was more explaining his preference for some alternatives. There were several Newton wearers at the workshop who flat asked him about it.

I know only one thing for sure about running shoes: They're an intensely personal choice. I switched from the Saucony Mirage to the PureFlow, and then I switched right back when I started having problems with my ankles, heel, and calf muscles. Now I take advice about my shoes from exactly one "expert" -- me.

Absolutely true. Ran a 5K today in 22:09 (70 and humid for a 7:30 start in February!) and ran them in the PureFlow rather than my Newton racers. Jury is still out. The black PureFlows look clunky, like coach's shoes, which means absolutely nothing in terms of performance, of course.

But I've run shoes that everybody loves and I hate; flexibility (need a lot) seems to be a major issue for me.

If you're not married your not cheating..........I have been a NB guy for years and it was a very serious relationship...yet recently I have been hanging around with a 'cute' little Adadis number (Adadis Adizero flats) and i really like it............This little adadis number is petite, cute, doesnt cost me as much and it just feels really good when we're together......

So NB better shape up or I'm gonna start dating Adadis permanantly.......

Champions are made when no one is watching

you shoe guys have serious relationship issues, better seek professional help.

and of course everyone knows  that yellow or red minimilist shoes are good for at least 10s per mile decrease in race pace.   black ones just slow you down.

If you're not married your not cheating..........I have been a NB guy for years and it was a very serious relationship...yet recently I have been hanging around with a 'cute' little Adadis number (Adadis Adizero flats) and i really like it............This little adadis number is petite, cute, doesnt cost me as much and it just feels really good when we're together......

So NB better shape up or I'm gonna start dating Adadis permanantly.......

but John, aren't you married?     sounds like you are "officially" having an affair with those Adidas & looks like the perfect relationship.   cute, fun, carefree & no committment.   Until of course your wife finds out.

Black-Toe-Nailed

LOL!

I should be considered polygamist! Check out my equipment, I think that the only brand that is repeated is NB with 3 pairs... and my clothing is even worse mixing El Cheapo stuff with some brand thingies.

Regarding Danny Dreyer's advice: I would take him very seriously. I followed his Chi Running for 3-4 months and learned a lot. And in regard to shoes, I followed his advice and got myself the simplest and more flexible shoes that I could find and I ended up with a pair of K-Swiss Natural Running II that I simply love. In fact they should already be officially retired if I had to pay attention to the infamous 500 mi limit... but after running barefoot and with huarache sandals I don't pay too much attention to these things any more. And with 113 miles over the limit I  haven't developed foot cancer yetApprove

But besides the subjective "love" factor there is a lot of truth in his recommendation of searching a light and flexible shoe: A flexible shoe will help you to change from heel strike to neutral or even fore-foot strike. Dreyer is more inclined to a neutral strike and this is good with shoes, but if you ever run barefoot you will notice how you will adopt a fore-foot strike naturally and without thinking. A flexible shoe allows you to use this strike in some degree. And it has been proven that we change the way of striking during a run instinctively. http://sweatscience.com/actual-data-on-foot-strike-patterns/

Don't feel guilty, just use these shoes that you feel (physically) comfortable with... and good luck with your Chi Running!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                        then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                        I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Mizuno, Nike, Pearl Izumi, Asics. They all understand their place in my rotation and seem pretty cool about it. This is a disturbing thread.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Mizuno, Nike, Pearl Izumi, Asics. They all understand their place in my rotation and seem pretty cool about it. This is a disturbing thread.

Is that the Pearl Izumi Streak 2?  How are they?

I'm thinking of trying them next...

steph  

Is that the Pearl Izumi Streak 2?  How are they?

I'm thinking of trying them next...

yes. The Streak 2. Lightweight yet comfortable minimal shoe. I've worn most of the tread completely down, literally, like racing slicks. But otherwise, I'd recommend them.

Tomorrow will be worse

I just buy whatever I can find in the clearance bin that fits my feet and isn't too heavy. Is that on par with the sleazy country bar near the airport? I suddenly have the impression that my clearance bin shoes are nasty, heavy-drinking, cigarette-phlegm-coughing cougars...